I was recently intrigued by a couple of screenshots my colleague Reinhard showed me which give a perfect overview of load and response time behavior based on a set of very basic performance metrics. For me the following dashboards are a must have; especially if you are just starting with application performance management (APM) and performance monitoring, or you do not yet have this dashboard in your current APM tool. Whether you already have an APM product or whether you rely on home-grown or open source software – I am pretty sure you can create a graph similar to this one: Open Trending Dashboard

The key metrics that we are looking at here are the number of transactions on your system split by 4 different performance buckets: Faster than 1s, between 1 and 3s, between 3 and 5s, slower than 5s. Depending on the tools you have available you can either do this for all of your requests or even split it up into important groups of URLs, e.g: “/search?, “/products?, “/purchase.? When looking at all requests, it allows you to identify general load trends, spikes and very important: sudden changes in performance.

Continue reading the rest of the blog showing more dashboards and metrics ...