I keep getting questions about how to best analyze memory leaks – especially when they are not always reproducible by the developer on the local workstation. If you never experienced a memory leak issue (or you simply don’t admit it) then read up on some real life examples on our blog: Fixing Memory Leak in Java Production Environment or DevOps way to solving Memory Issues.

If you want to test this out on your Java or .NET Application follow my steps in this blog, watch my webinar on YouTube where I describe both Memory but also Thread Diagnostics with Dynatrace or read the technical documentation on Memory Diagnostics.

Step 1: Tooling – We use the Dynatrace Free Trial

If you don’t yet have Dynatrace register for your 30 Days Free Trial with the option to get a lifetime license for your local machine -> Learn more with our Share Your PurePath Program!

Step 2: Connecting your JVM or CLR

The best way is to simply follow the steps in the tool to setup a new Application Environment. There is a step-by-step guide on how to connect an agent into your Java or .NET Application on the Dynatrace Community.

Continue reading the blog on how to identify leaking objects ...