Whats new in the JSP 1.2 and Servlet 2.3 specs?

Discussions

News: Whats new in the JSP 1.2 and Servlet 2.3 specs?

1. The new JSP 1.3 and Servlet 2.3 specs have brought about changes aimed at fixing rough spots, improving custom tags, better tool Support, and an improved features in the programming model for Servlets. Duane Fields (co-author of Web Development with JSP) summarizes the important changes in a recent article.

Read The Presentation Layer Java Server Pages update.
  2. Rexip AppServer and Servletexec claim to have already implemented JSP 1.2 and Servlet 2.3 specs. Is the latest version of JRun up-to-date? How about Tomcat?
  3. How do you know if the claims are valid? How do you test for compliance?
  4. Tomcat4.0Beta7 support servlet2.3 and JSP1.2 PFD3 (Yet to be updated on sun site as it still has only PFD2).

Kumar.
  5. Resin 2.0 from Caucho supports Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 and had its FCS release in June 2001. So I guess Resin was the first commercial implementation of Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2.

The only other final releases of Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 (PFD) compliant engines are AFAIK:
    - ServletExec 4.0;
    - BEA WebLogic 6.1.

The status of some other engines:
    - Tomcat 4.0: still in beta;
    - Rexip 1.08: still in beta;
    - Orion 1.5.2: Servlet 2.3, but only JSP 1.1;
    - JRun 3.1: only Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1;
    - iPlanet Web Server 6.0: only Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1.

Has anybody more or updated information on this issue?

Juergen
  6. Juergen,

We are ready to release the commercial edition next week. Beyond mere Servlet and JSP, Rexip AppServer comes with many features only available in high-end app servers. The pricing will be quite compelling.

- Niles
    www.rexip.com
  7. I beleive Tomcat is in BETA because Servlet2.3 and JSP1.2 is not final yet. From what I understood from tomcat mailing lists, Tomcat4 will be final coinciding with Spec going final.

Kumar.
  8. What makes me really grumpy about the servlet spec is its complete lack of defining a standard way of dealing with specifying the actual way that authentication is done in a servlet container. I cannot write an authentication mechanism (username/password tested against a database for example) in a standard way that works across multiple containers. It is really aggravating and its time this was fixed, it is looney that this wasn't in the last spec!!!

Tomcat 3.2's per instance vs Resin's per web application for example, each of which is completely different. They should fix this before releasing it, its not exactly difficult. It makes the servlet spec still a joke when dealing with authentication.

Richard
  9. Resin 2.0 support Servlet 2.3 , I am using it , I tried it , it really works. Servlet Filter is powerful ! I believe there must be some tricks with filters .