Version 0.8.7 of restSQL, an open-source persistence framework, was released on January 12, 2014. The release adds auto-increment/sequence-based column support and extends function-based column support to PostgreSQL.
Heliosearch is a new open source project designed to take Solr to the next level. The first pre-release includes off-heap data structures to reduce Java GC issues.
Giles Alexander never actually said he wished he had an extra hand, but he did say "I don’t ever want to touch Scala again." And he's not shy about listing a litany of reasons why. TheServerSide is going to be talking with Giles in the near future. If you've got an issue or two you would like us to take him to task on in terms of his assessment of Scala, I want to hear about it.
Every once in a while we run into someone that has a Hotspot JVM that is running back to back garbage collections and yet the heap is still almost full after each attempt! When they discover that their problem is related to the JVM not having enough memory they often ask the question, "Why didn’t the JVM throw an OutOfMemoryError (OOME)?" After all my application is not making any forward...
This blog post tells you about an interesting and free conference in 2014 in Turkey on Android and Mobile developments
Let's go inside the Cassandra nodetool utility and discover how we can extend it.
Recently, there has been much discussion about the need to server gems in a private network. This need arose not only from the security problems experienced by RubyGems.org but also due to the fact that some gems aren’t hosted on RubyGems.org such as Vagrant, which no longer supports RubyGems or gems that are not open source or not public and that may nevertheless be shared as gems rather than...
With 2013 done and dusted, one clear winner for the biggest mover out of all the programming languages on the TIOBE index has emerged.
We recently ran into a memory leak caused by the Oracle JDBC Driver Implementation. Oracle fixed the issue based on our input data. In case you are experiencing memory problems leading to crashes have a look at this blog. In case you see similar symptoms its better to install the latest patches instead of adding more memory to avoid Out of Memory crashes.
Enforcing data integrity ensures the quality of the data in the system, and contributes to have bug free applications. Two important steps in checking the data integrity are to identify valid values for a type and to decide how to enforce its data integrity.
In this article we take a look at How improve testing by looking at how to use Jemmy with JUnit in NetBeans
Have you ever wondered how big is the overhead posed by ArrayList, HashMap or any other java.util.Collections API used within your application? We have now finalized a thorough research in the field and can publish conclusions based on more than 500 different applications.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Will Java 8 Lambda expressions really change JavaEE development? (10 Sep 2014) One of the most anxiously anticipated Java 8 features was the addition of Lambda expressions. But...
- Advanced JSF Tutorial: The single page interface (SPI) with Facelets, Ajax and HTML5 (07 Sep 2014) Some say it's impossible, but if you really understand the technology, you will realize that...
- Top 5 DevOps best practices for achieving security, scalability and performance (07 Sep 2014) How do you get the most out of your applications? One way is to adopt a DevOps approach to...
- Is PaaS as dangerous as it seems? Cloudbees bust some cloud computing myths (07 Sep 2014) Is cloud computing as dangerous as it seems? From open source do-it-yourself types to organizations...
- From writing code to EMT: A CTO's journey (04 Sep 2014) Making the move from writing code to becoming an EMT was the best training for success as a CTO.
- CloudBees makes on-premise Enterprise Jenkins their top priority (12 Sep 2014) CloudBees has put their runtime PaaS offering behind them, choosing to focus on their on-premise...
- This is where to turn when friends ask you how to program in Java (09 Aug 2014) There are many introductory books about Java on the market, but for anyone who wants to learn to...
- Android: The Next Generation (13 Jul 2014) Google continues to invest in and improve their flagship mobile operating system, and the latest...
- From Tango to the NDK: Further exploration of the Google I/O exhibitors hall (03 Jul 2014) Be it previews of products like Tango which create 3D images of your surrounding, to demonstrations...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.