In this article, we talk about the importance of being able to monitor IoT devices in the field. When a large number of devices is being used, and when those devices generate lots of data, a cloud-based solution is preferred for collecting the data, especially if there are different groups of users with different sets of permissions. The Java EE 7 APIs allow you to develop a cloud-based...
Utility classes, even though they look like collections of functions, have nothing to do with functional programming, mostly because they are bags of procedures
This post explained how Codenvy and Tomitribe partnered to create a one-click TomEE environment, which can be accessed directly from the projects GitHub page.
Takipi analyzes code at the JVM level, and doesn’t rely on pulling log files. Start solving problems in production with minimal added CPU and IO overhead.
Log data provides the most granular view into what is happening across your systems, applications, and end users. Logs can show you where the issues are in real-time, and provide a historical trending view over time. Logs give you the whole picture.
In this article we take a look at Java 8 and explain Method References in 5 minutes
Modularity is not a new concept; it has been around for a long time. The term modularity was first coined in the late 1960s by Professor Edsger W. Dijkstra in one of his manuscripts. Unfortunately, the Java platform itself does not have a module system available out of the box. Project Jigsaw is in the works, but it isn’t available for production usage yet. Because we needed a modularity solution...
Wix engineering blog has a great post about how using TDD helps migrating an internal project to be Open Source. "We planned to open source PETRI from day one, but in the interest of development velocity, we developed it as an internal project with our own internal dependencies. Yet we knew that in order to finally break away from those internal dependencies we would need a development...
This post is a quick tutorial to show you just how quickly you can build a Java web app with a complete set authentication and user management features and user interfaces.
Tony Hoare, inventor of the null reference, apologetically called it “the billion dollar mistake”. The problem with null is not that it was invented back in 1965, but that we are still struggling with it 50 years later. I recently came across this article on Voxxed: Embracing the Void: 6 Refined Tricks for Dealing with Nulls in Java. It gives a nice rundown of strategies around the null...
How can you to take a pragmatic approach to Docker and look beyond the hype?
Opening up the reason why certain tooling such as jconsole using Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory() are displaying different total heap size than in the configuration specified via Xmx.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Inside the portal arena with Liferay (31 Mar 2015) Learn about the front facing portal applications happening at Liferay in this interview with TSS...
- Virtual networking can improve DevOps software quality (31 Mar 2015) Increased use of advanced networking functionality and virtual networking could lead to improved...
- Migrating a website without the migraines (30 Mar 2015) Given all that's involved, migrating to a new website can be challenging. Here is a checklist to...
- How embedded technologies are enabling the Internet of Things (IOT) (29 Mar 2015) From wearable devices to internet connected devices called NodeBots, embedded technologies are...
- Successfully managing software quality with growing, globally distributed teams (26 Mar 2015) Successfully managing a software project is always a challenge, but when a project grows into a...
- Enterprise architects consider using cloud-based IDEs (31 Mar 2015) For many reasons, enterprise architects are now considering cloud-based IDEs as an alternative to a...
- Java 9 promises modularity and new value types (18 Mar 2015) Modularity and new value types could come with Java 9. This could mean improved startup performance...
- Discussing Aerospike at DeveloperWeek 2015 (17 Feb 2015) Aerospike's developer discusses how the NoSQL database recently moved its IP to open source at...
- Working with Node.js at DeveloperWeek 2015 (13 Feb 2015) Developer advocate Jenny Tong discusses coding troublemaking with Node.js at DeveloperWeek 2015.