The Logentries research team looked across more than 25,000 log management and analytics users, tracking more than 200,000 shared patterns, and identified the top five areas that are most frequently analyzed for performance-related issues. Through the sampling and anonymized analysis of common behaviors and trends across this global community, Logentries is providing its community of users with...
With Java 8, API design is definitely more interesting, but also more complex, with additional functional aspects to consider. Lukas Eder of Jooq.org gives us some things to ponder.
In this release, Errai, which leverages several Java EE technologies such as CDI (for dependency injection,) JPA (for offline mode and local storage,) and JAX-RS, for communicating with remote servers and other services, has had a lot of the work go into adding enhancements to its RPC (Remote Procedure Call) mechanism. The framework now has a swanky global exception handler, and RPC on the server...
Stephen Hynes announces new integration for Windows Phone. Read more about how you can now easily set up the Log Appender in your code.
Apart from Lambdas and extension methods, the JDK has also been enhanced with a lot of new library code, e.g. the Streams API and much more. This means that we can critically review our stacks and – to the great joy of Doctor Deprecator – throw out all the garbage that we no longer need.In a post originally published over at jooq.org, Lukas Eder compiles a 'trash' list.
Synchronized sections are kind of like visiting your parents-in-law. You want to be there as little as possible. When it comes to locking the rules are the same – you want to spend the shortest amount of time acquiring the lock and within the critical section, to prevent bottlenecks from forming.
If you are testing your mobile applications the same way you’ve been testing typical web applications, you’re missing a big part of the picture – and your users may be the ones who suffer. Mobile applications don’t perform in the same way as their web-based counterparts. Read on for how to adjust for these differences:...
There is an ongoing debate regarding TDD in programmer community. DDH, the well known author of RoR claimed that TDD and more specific Unit Test is not worth writing at all. Instead, developers should write more integration test. In this article, I represent my own view on tight-coupling to framework is the root cause of this problem.
Recently, Israeli-based Artifactory providers JFrog announced full support for on-premise and cloud-based npm repositories within their popular third-party library and binaries manager. With this latest update, Artifactory has become the first private npm registry and proxy for the extremely popular node.js framework.
Our lessons learned after the last deployment: A) Always check if you have the latest version of all your deployment assets and B) Have a better Web Service Monitoring Strategy! In this blog I summarized the problems we ran into after doing a bad deployment that went unnoticed by our regular monitoring activities, e.g: looking at log files, CPU, Memory, ... - only after people complained we...
Learn how to use Java 8's lambda expressions in this quick getting started guide.
There’s a lot of discussion going on in the software community on “testing”. (See for example here, here and here). We think there’s too many superstitions and assumptions. Very little of this helps in your day-to-day work and leaves you still wondering how you reliably and automatically test, for example, that crazy sql query, your UI or that complex batch job.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Will Java 8 Lambda expressions really change JavaEE development? (10 Sep 2014) One of the most anxiously anticipated Java 8 features was the addition of Lambda expressions. But...
- Advanced JSF Tutorial: The single page interface (SPI) with Facelets, Ajax and HTML5 (07 Sep 2014) Some say it's impossible, but if you really understand the technology, you will realize that...
- Top 5 DevOps best practices for achieving security, scalability and performance (07 Sep 2014) How do you get the most out of your applications? One way is to adopt a DevOps approach to...
- Is PaaS as dangerous as it seems? Cloudbees bust some cloud computing myths (07 Sep 2014) Is cloud computing as dangerous as it seems? From open source do-it-yourself types to organizations...
- From writing code to EMT: A CTO's journey (04 Sep 2014) Making the move from writing code to becoming an EMT was the best training for success as a CTO.
- CloudBees makes on-premise Enterprise Jenkins their top priority (12 Sep 2014) CloudBees has put their runtime PaaS offering behind them, choosing to focus on their on-premise...
- This is where to turn when friends ask you how to program in Java (09 Aug 2014) There are many introductory books about Java on the market, but for anyone who wants to learn to...
- Android: The Next Generation (13 Jul 2014) Google continues to invest in and improve their flagship mobile operating system, and the latest...
- From Tango to the NDK: Further exploration of the Google I/O exhibitors hall (03 Jul 2014) Be it previews of products like Tango which create 3D images of your surrounding, to demonstrations...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.