Migrating a data center to the cloud is a slippery slope, and once an organization begins the process of moving to a SaaS, PaaS or IaaS provider, they find themselves quickly adopting more and more cloud based technologies. But there is still a great deal of fear when it comes to taking that first step. So how can organizations mitigate their risk while at the same time get an idea of what types...
Estimating, provisioning and pricing is always insane, and no matter which route one takes, be it an in-house data center or a cloud-based provider, estimated costs rarely equal the dollar value of the check that gets written at the end of the month. Are cloud computing costs high? That question can only be answered if you have something with which to accurately compare it.
As new technologies arise, common catch phrases, easily remembered terms, and familiar abbreviations quickly emerge that can paradoxically be both explanatory and confounding. The cloud computing space is a prime example, as terms like SaaS, DaaS and IaaS can on the one hand help outside observers garner a high level understanding of what a given offering in this space might provide, while at the...
ZK 7, the Java web framework’s latest release integrates CSS 3, Bootstrap, and LESS to accelerate theme customization. Creating, or customizing a theme no longer entails lengthy style definitions but rather the developers can leverage the scaffolds offered by Bootstrap as well as the rich repositories of existing templates.
When you want to create a culture based on quality in terms of software engineering and people responsibilities every person in a growing company has a profound effect on the company’s culture, it sets the tone for the recruitment process and how you build an 'A' team.
This latest RebelLabs report goes after the top 3 build tools used in Java development—Maven, Gradle and Ant + Ivy. From history, popularity, installation and build scripts, to going deeper with plugins, customizations and extensions, this Part 1 report (Part 2 coming in late January 2014) has something for everyone to enjoy.
Spring Framework 4.0 is open source and available at no charge under an Apache 2.0 license. Download, Maven and Gradle information can be obtained from the http://spring.io website
The Gartner Group believes that Big Data will be the new normal in the near future and defines it as: "'Big data' is high-volume, -velocity and -variety information assets that demand cost-effective, innovative forms of information processing for enhanced insight and decision making." The 3 V’s of big data, Volume, Velocity and Variety. Here at Logentries we identified this pattern back in 2007...
The Java subreddit went into overdrive last month when one dev urged users to air their issues with the platform. Can you identify with any of these?
The Enterprise Java Newscast, hosted by Kito D. Mann, Ian Hlavats, and Daniel Hinojosa, is a monthly podcast that covers the latest headlines in the world of Enterprise Java development.
Staring with Twitter Bootstrap and mod_pagespeed, how hard is it to get a perfect PageSpeed Insights score? Well…there is only one way to find out!
This is the second interview in a regular series of interviews with stalwarts of the technology industry. This week we have Tim Fox, the Vert.x project lead who was formerly behind RabbitMQ and other well known Java based messaging frameworks. In this interview you can find out about Tim’s contributions, his history with traditional messaging systems, motivations behind Vert.x and some deep...
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Goodbye, sysadmins; hello, software developers (02 Dec 2013) As organizations are moving towards cloud computing, sysadmins are losing their relevance in...
- The challenge of balancing BYOD privacy and security (25 Nov 2013) Learn about how vendors are trying to help balance BYOD privacy and security.
- Cloud adopters seek help for their DevOps, app monitoring and cost control problems (18 Nov 2013) As more companies move to the cloud, more and more companies are realizing that expert help,...
- Will upcoming Google Web Designer fix Java pros' Android problem? (21 Oct 2013) Mobile developers are hoping for something a little different in the upcoming Google Web Designer...
- The most exciting new parts of Java EE 7 and Java 8 (06 Nov 2013) Java author Adam Bien discusses business logic and software development in Java 7 and Java 8.
- Solving performance issues with self-adaptive software (24 Oct 2013) In this discussion, Cameron McKenzie and JInspired CTO William Louth talk about the concepts behind...
- Overprovisioning in AWS? Cost-control tools and strategies can help (22 Nov 2013) For organizations that have moved to the cloud, old habits may be costing them dearly as they...
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013: How to get kids involved in coding (23 Sep 2013) Saskia Vermeer-Ooms and Regina ten Bruggencate offer advice on how to get kids interested in...
- How 'big data' solved the content management (CMS) problem (23 Apr 2013) Content management systems that need to sift through huge amounts of data are big data problems in...
- Oracle announces delays in the JDK 8 release schedule (19 Apr 2013) After patching Web browser security issues, the Java Platform Group at Oracle has announced delays...
- Automation Standard: Enterprise Imaging Platform and the Power of Integration (Canon Information & Imaging Solutions)
- Enterprise Imaging Platform: Automating Document Intensive Accounting Processes (Canon Information & Imaging Solutions)
- Are You Where Your Customers Are? (Apigee Europe LTD)
- Neo Technology
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.