ZeroTurnaround, the creators of JRebel, now supports automated, secure, zero downtime deployments for .NET applications with LiveRebel 2.7, in addition to Java, PHP, Python, Ruby and Perl applcations.
PrettyTime is an open source, Java Library – enabling simple parsing and computer understanding of natural language, and social date references like, “let’s go to dinner at 6,” or “I’ll be on vacation for three days”.
Let's talk how to get visibility into an important component of any complex system: the messaging queue. Specifically, let’s look at how to trace a job from Rails using Resque.
We had a badly behaving application at hand, repeatedly dying with the OutOfMemoryError in production. Investigating the underlying data structures we soon found ways to reduce the memory overhead in order of magnitude.
jvmtop is a lightweight console application to monitor all accessible, running jvms on a machine. It's like top but is able to provide jvm internals (e.g. memory information) of running JVMs / java processes. It can also drill down cpu-usage to the thread-level, showing you the most cpu-intensive threads in a live view.
When Java EE7 is released it will include JSR-352. This provides an interesting opportunity for companies looking to move their batch processing onto a modern platform. Here we take a first look at the Java Batch programming model.
In the IT world, the demand for highly skilled software engineers continues to grow as application development becomes an integral part of more and more businesses around the globe. And as more and more applications are highly connected, have strong SLAs and are addressing sensitive business issues, the demand for load and performance testers also grows. Companies have been using creative...
This latest report from Rebel Labs has a brand new format--all-HTML, and no sign up required. Directly download our overview of Virtualization and Provisioning, along with commentary by the creators of Vagrant and Chef.
We describe how we automated a build process producing 20 different deliverables for five different platforms. Tools used include Jenkins, Gradle, Artifactory and Bitbucket
The Concurrent-Mark-Sweep collector is a low pause Java Garbage Collector used in Hotspot. Here's how it works.
From Rebel Labs, comes an extremely opinionated review of Tomcat and JBoss, the top 2 biggest players in the Java application server market today. Both of them open source, why take Tomcat instead of JBoss, or vice versa?
Adding more memory to your JVMs (Java Virtual Machines) might be a temporary solution to fixing memory leaks in Java applications, but it for sure won’t fix the root cause of the issue. Instead of crashing once per day it may just crash every other day. “Preventive” restarts are also just another desperate measure to minimize downtime – but – let’s be frank: this is not how production issues...
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- The Scala debate demystified: Balancing the rants with the raves (01 Mar 2014) It's been over ten years since Scala appeared on the enterprise computing landscape. Some...
- NoSpinningDiscs: Why your NoSQL solution thirsts for SSDs (02 Mar 2014) Organizations are always looking for opportunities to tune their architecture. To achieve massive...
- Top four reasons why you should use Scala on your next project (01 Mar 2014) Is it time for your organizations to unshackle itself from its legacy of Java development, and...
- Continuous Development: The glue holding DevOps, TDD and Agile methods together (05 Feb 2014) Continuous integration(CI) and continuous development (CD) have become central components in the...
- The three most common NoSQL mistakes you don't want to be making (02 Mar 2014) More and more organizations are using NoSQL to solve various data persistence problems. But...
- Better software testing and improved quality starts with the culture (03 Jan 2014) Software testing is more than just a stage in the development process. Testing is a philosophy that...
- Can Java and JSF on the server-side make mobile on the front end easier? (05 Jan 2014) While many software developers are learning new programming languages to deliver native mobile...
- Scala? Groovy? Why Java is the right programming language for 2014 and beyond (01 Jan 2014) New programming languages offer a variety of benefits, from the way they handle big data, to the...
- YARN and MapReduce 2.0 elevates big data Hadoop and scheduled processing (03 Jan 2014) YARN represents the biggest architectural change in Hadoop since it's inception over seven years...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.