Discussions

EJB design: Clarification on new ejb 2.0 implementation

1. Clarification on new ejb 2.0 implementation (2 messages)

I read the latest Oct 3rd - EJB Strategies, Tips & Idioms paper, and am a bit confused. I am using weblogic 6.1, and using local interfaces to communicate between my facade ejb and my other session/entity ejb's. This is all fine and dandy. I am also using the DAO and Value Object patterns to serve Value Objects to the client from my entity beans. This paper suggests that the Value Object pattern is no longer necessary when utilizing the ejb 2.0 features such as local interfaces for the ejb's. I am just wondering how am I supposed to transport data to my client without a value object? My client is a thin swing client, and will never be run on the same machine as the app server. Is this a case where I should continue to use the Value Objects, or is there a better mechanism for this now?

I am just looking for some clarification. If I'm in the wrong area, let me know where to go...

Thanks

Nic
  2. You will still use value objects to transport data between the session facades and the client. However, the local interfaces allow you to access your enitity beans as if they were plain old java objects. The advantage of this is that your value objects can now be customized and coupled to the user interface so that you transfer even less data.
  3. Thanks... I kind of thought thats how it would work but was a bit confused...