The Middleware Company announces ECperf benchmarking service

Discussions

News: The Middleware Company announces ECperf benchmarking service

1. The Middleware Company (who built and runs TheServerSide.com), one of the world's leading skills' transfer resources for enterprise Java technologies, today launched a third-party ECperf benchmarking service to assist J2EE application server vendors to validate performance claims for existing or new products.

This turnkey approach uses ECPerf, the emerging industry-standard methodology championed by Sun Microsystems, in order to save time and shape the climate for sales with a credible third-party evaluation.

''Typically, the developer market suspects claims of superior performance from an application server vendor because its tests are conducted and published `in-house,''' says Ed Roman CEO of The Middleware Company and author of the best-selling book, Mastering Enterprise Java Beans. ''This brand new benchmarking service offers vendors an easy and cost-efficient way to verify claims by working through a trusted and credible third party. Because it uses the Sun-endorsed ECPerf benchmarking standard, this also makes performance claims both fair and comparable.''

The Middleware Company service includes the following:

- The Middleware Company conducts independent ECPerf testing of an application server. The vendor will be invited to send its representative to properly tune the application server.
     - When the test is complete, The Middleware Company independently authors a white paper detailing the results in layman terms to help architects make a purchase decision. The resulting benchmark is potentially more credible since the white paper is authored by The Middleware Company, a recognized source of J2EE knowledge.
     - When results are positive, a vendor may choose to publish this paper worldwide. The Middleware Company will assist this effort by publishing the white paper on TheServerSide.com, the world's largest J2EE community, as well as the ECPerf home page.
     - When results fall short of desirable standards, the vendor may choose to keep the results private, and employ them to improve the product.

For pricing and availability, please contact sales@middleware-company.com or call 877/866-JAVA.

About The Middleware Company

The Middleware Company specializes in advanced enterprise Java technology training and consulting. Founded in 1998 to assist corporations migrating to the Java platform to improve the success of e-Commerce projects, it helps marquee-name customers such as J P Morgan, MetLife, Sterling Commerce, Standard & Poors, A C Nielsen, and many others, reduce risks, and sustain cost-efficiency by building proficiency in a Java expertise. Instructors are expert architects with deep development experience and strong server-side skills, as well as notable thought leaders in the field. Services include on-site training in Java 2, EJB, J2EE, and XML-Web Services, architecture consulting, and open enrollment courses held in London, New York, and San Francisco. Courseware is licensed outside North America. The Middleware Company built and maintains TheServerSide, the leading online J2EE community. We Build Architects.
  2. I see. Will you help to set up and publish the results of a .NET implementation of the ecPerf benchmark?

Thanks for the information,

Greg Leake
    Group Product Manager
    Microsoft Corporation
  3. Hi Greg,

Does the .NET platform support J2EE 1.3 now or is it still back at 1.2? I might consider redeploying from Weblogic to .NET if your clustering works as well as BEA's.

Peace,

Cameron.
  4. You didn't hear? .NET is J#EE 2002 compliant ;)
  5. Yup...Visual J2EE XP++ will surely rock the world!
  6. Greg,

I have forwarded your request internally.

Cameron and Dion, you guys are priceless. :)

Floyd
  7. Thanks. I think its in everyone's interest to have a fair, independent benchmark of .NET vs. J2EE. That is my point. We would gladly implement an Ecperf benchmark using .NET (not hard to do), but to date Sun refuses to let anyone but J2EE app servers compete. Why is this? What about alternatives such as .NET, PHP, PERL, etc.? Certainly understanding performance differences in these platforms is interesting to a wide variety of developers and architects.

Greg Leake
    Group Product Manager
    Microsoft Corporation
  8. Greg,

you are for real huh, just checked.

I am the founder of JBoss.org, the leading j2ee-based app server (most downloaded at least). Since I am open source (and therefore un-american) proprietary vendors here hate me as much as you.

It seems we have some common ground to start with.

please feel free to drop me an email at marc dot fleury at jboss dot org if you ever want to talk about the weather,

marcf
  9. Marc,
    Get real. Microsoft hates java and they hate Open Source. Are you hoping two minuses will make a plus?
  10. Hi Greg,

I am touched by your concern for supporting PHP and Perl in the ecPerf benchmarks, not to mention .NET. One of the nice things about standards is that it is easier to move things from one implementation to another. If .NET truly has support for multiple languages etc., it should be no problem to run ecPerf on .NET. You do not have to get anyone's permission for this; you only need Sun's sign-off if you want to have .NET be J2EE certified.

Why do you think it is acceptable that people would rewrite their applications (such as ecPerf) so that they can run on one unproven platform (.NET on Windows on x86) when those applications work well already on Windows 9x, Windows NT/2K/XP, Solaris 5 thru 8, Linux, MacOS, MacOSX, Tru64 Unix, BSD, FreeBSD, OS390, AIX, HPUX (just to name a few) on x86, Alpha, PPC, Power4, Sparc, PA Risc, Itanium, RS 6000 and 68xxx (just to name a few)?

I am glad that your engineers had some fun writing C# and .NET ... frankly I'm jealous -- I wish someone paid me to do something so interesting (if pointless). It is really ballsy (read: arrogant) for you to expect people to make an effort to come to where you are when they've already got a working, mature and flexible solution.

Peace,

Cameron.
  11. Hey man
    are you nuts? It is not about .NET! It's about J2EE compliant products! What's wrong with Microsoft people?