The Middleware Company announces "EJB for Architects" Tour

Discussions

News: The Middleware Company announces "EJB for Architects" Tour

1. The Middleware Company today announced that it is bringing its popular "EJB for Architects" training course on a multi-city tour across the US, and in London, England. EJB for Architects is an advanced course for people who already know EJB, covering issues such as design patterns, large-scale system design issues, case studies, legacy integration, etc.

Check out EJB for Architects.

Press Release
    -----------------------
    AUSTIN, TX (BUSINESS WIRE) - Feb 12, 2002 - The Middleware Company, the leading provider of enterprise Java training and consulting, today announced that it is bringing its highly popular "EJB for Architects" training course on a multi-city tour.

EJB for Architects is specifically for developers who want to increase their value as a developer in today's economy, or want to become a better Enterprise Java programmer, so that they can succeed on an upcoming project.

"This class is super advanced, and is for developers who already know EJB, and want to take their knowledge to the next level," says Ed Roman, CEO of The Middleware Company. "Developers will learn as what's new in EJB 2.0, design patterns, best practices, and how to build large-scale EJB systems.

In each EJB for Architects class, savvy EJB developers came together for a full week to share their knowledge and network with one another, plus learn new things. Each class is an experience not to be missed, and attendance is extremely limited.

The calendar:

February 25-March 1...Washington, DC
    March 4-March 8...San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    March 25-March 29...Austin, TX
    April 1-April 5...Boston, MA
    April 15-April 19...Chicago, IL
    April 29-May 3...Toronto, Canada
    April 29-May 3...San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    May 13-May 17...Las Vegas, NV
    May 20-May 24...London, England
    June 3-June 7...New York City, NY
    June 17-June 21...Atlanta, GA

If you are a developer interested in this class, or if you know others who would benefit from it, please visit our web site at http://www.middleware-company.com/index.shtml?pr0212, email registration@middleware-company.com, or call (877) 866-JAVA.

ABOUT THE MIDDLEWARE COMPANY

The Middleware Company specializes in advanced enterprise Java technology training and consulting. Founded in 1998 to assist corporations migrating to the Java platform to improve the success of e-Commerce projects, it helps among the world's largest organizations including BEA, Oracle, Borland/Inprise, Cisco, Nextel, MetLife, Sterling Commerce, Standard & Poors, and many others to reduce risks and sustain cost-efficiency by building proficiency in a Java expertise. Instructors are expert architects with deep development experience and strong server-side skills, as well as notable thought leaders in the field. Services include on-site training in Java, EJB, J2EE, and XML-based Web Services, architecture consulting, and open enrollment courses held worldwide. Courseware is licensed outside North America. The Middleware Company also built and maintains TheServerSide.com, the leading online J2EE community.

Editor's Note (Feb 12): The offending word 'World' was removed from the title of this thread. :)

Threaded Messages (27)

2. World Tour ? Strange, there is only one city outside North America!
  3. LOL... Just an example how Americans define the world, North America + London!
  4. <quote>
    LOL... Just an example how Americans define the world, North America + London!
    </quote>

Wrong. The American definition of the world is North America + the well-known country "Europe". And London is a town in Europe. By the way, why do I always have to fill in my ZIP code when I register on web pages. What the f*** is a ZIP code anyway?
  5. Just to clarify, the world is roughly composed of the United States, the badlands to the north (Canada), the badlands to the south (Mexico) the country to the east before you fall off the edge of the earth (Europe AKA England) and the country to the west (California).

Hope that helps. ;-)
  6. ZIP=Zone improvement plan...Scared that I know that one. It basically\ gives the US Post Office an excuse when the lose your mail, "Oh, you must not have included the zip code. Instead of going to Boston Massachusetts, it went to Boston Research Station on the South Pole."

Has anyone hit one of these classes that would care to give it a review. I work for a stingey company, so if I go, it is probably out of pocket. Is it work me paying for it?
  7. Funny, but the "masters" of Java/JSP, J2EE (JSP is a part, a big part, of J2EE) use Microsoft's Active Server Pages for their website? What's funnier is they try to hide it! So when you mouse over a link, it is "blahblah.shtml" But watch the bottom of your browser, when you click to register for something, it will redirect you to "login.asp" and a couple of other ".asp" pages.
  8. So what? Most likely they use a hosting company and have no control whatsoever on what they do.
    The same situation was a couple of years back when MS was running hotmail on Solarises (I think), and even Suns' Java sites were at some stage run with .asp. Generated some bad press for them so they had to shell big money to move the sites to "developer comunity approved" platforms.

Anyway, why should it make any difference at all? If they know what they are talking about (and they seem to), I don't give a damn that they most likely run Word, post they pages with asp etc.

As for JSPs being a big part of J2EE - it's not any bigger really than anything else. J2EE is a huge collection of APIs/technologies and what you pick up is entirely up to you. I could write an application that would not use EJBs, servlets or JSPs and still claim "it's J2EE".
    There was an article somewhere "J2EE is not spelled EJB".
    Regards,
    Vlad.
  9. <quote>
     Funny, but the "masters" of Java/JSP, J2EE (JSP is a part, a big part, of J2EE) use Microsoft's Active Server Pages for their website?
    </quote>

This is not actually true. The site you mention is not the company's site, they probably use a service provider to schedule the trainings. It's Internet-world so people are using online services, right. I am not connetected to this site, but I feel I should defend it, when TSS was launched, they had a great set of presentations about architecting this site iteself. Very instructive. They actually use Resin and Weblogic.
  10. Using ASP?

<quote>
    Funny, but the "masters" of Java/JSP, J2EE (JSP is a part, a big part, of J2EE) use Microsoft's Active Server Pages for their website?
    </quote>

I am not saying that they aren't but netcraft seems to indicate they are running apache on linux, which seems PC to me. Of course they could have that wrong.... Check out the "What's that site running" link at www.netcraft.com or

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=on&mode_w=on&site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.middleware-company.com&submit=Examine
  11. Allright fellow Java Zealots, here is the scoop. All of TMC's online infrastructure is either plain shtml or J2EE on Linux (particularly TheServerSide).

However, we use a third party service called ViewCentral (www.viewcentral.com) to handle registration/payment/scheduling of our public courses. ViewCentral's system is ASP based. They simply had the best service on the market, regardless of implementation details.

Floyd
  12. I think that our use of a Microsoft-based service for registration illustrates that it is OK not to be emotionally attached to technology. Sometimes hitting business goals are more important. If you are using a 3rd party web site and treating it like a black box, it doesn't matter if that service is written using J2EE or .NET.
  13. The American definition of the world is North America +

> the well-known country

Funny, I thought England was the America's 51st state ;) Which would make the 'world' tour pretty much a 'USA' tour.

-krish
  14. What is the cost of the course ? Any courses planned in switzerland ?
  15. Leting go all the jokes of US definition of World, I think that including other places (such as Australasia ;) ) would be nice...
  16. Just another vote for Australasia.

BTW - Why did you choose not to vist the rest of the world on your pending 'world tour' ?
  17. Please put Australasia for your world tour.

18. For Aussies interested in Advanced EJB, Marc Fleury, the founder of JBoss, is holding a free Open House at the Star City Hotel in Sydney this evening (Wednesday 13/2).
  19. The course content looks very good and I remember looking at the price a couple of months ago, which worked out at about 2-2.5k sterling. This is an awful lot of money for a 5 day course. I would assume that 10 people go on and so the gross earnings are £25k. I would also assume you would use London based expertise and that Ed will not be attending to give the course so perhaps there is scope to lower the price, espcially given the market. If it was closer to £1500 then I probably would have booked a place already.
  20. Based on Thomas Cooks exchange rate the current cost for the course for the UK based on the quoted price of $2,995 is £2182.47. If VAT needs to be added the this makes it £2564.40. This would have to be one hell of a course.
  21. To the course organizers : Could you please consider offering the same course in Zurich, Switzerland ?

The population density of IT-Consultants (as well as the number of world-class financial institutions) is well above average in this city. Plus it is within 3-4 hours by train from areas with very active developer/financial communities such as Geneva, Munich, Vienna and Milan.
  22. Other locations[ Go to top ]

If you are interested in having us hold this course in other locations, then what we'll need is a critical mass of people that are committed to taking the course. If you get a group of coworkers or friends together who fall into this category, then please notify sales@middleware-company.com and we will be happy to consider holding a course in your area.
  23. Other locations[ Go to top ]

"If you are interested in having us hold this course in other locations, then what we'll need is a critical mass of people that are committed to taking the course. If you get a group of coworkers or friends together who fall into this category, then please notify sales@middleware-company.com and we will be happy to consider holding a course in your area."

Is there an incentive scheme here? I.e. If I can't get my company to pay for me to attend your course, but I can get 10+ people of character and substance from more well to do and forward looking companies who are willing to pay then you would consider coming to do a course for us and possibly allowing me (or equivalent canvaser) to have one free place? If so, have you considered visiting Scotland? (Not Scotland england, but Scotland UK (as in "United Kingdom" - that normally comes next to "United States" in the country-combo-box-drop-down-web-form-world - which is convenient for me - except for those sites in the US where the developers cannot figure out how to pre-initialise a form field and so place the United States at the top of the alphabetic list instead - not so conveniently next to Afghanistan)

It would be good to know if there is such an incentive scheme. If not do you have any kind of franchise of more local teachers, or a broad network of sub-gurus who might be interested in doing a similar thing for those locations not on the current world tour?

Regards
  24. Other locations[ Go to top ]

Luke,

We currently offer $100 per student you refer to a public course. However, if you are willing to help get so many people in your area, I am sure that we can work something out. Again, please email sales@middleware-company.com.

Floyd
  25. It seems like there is an interest for a course in Switzerland (Zurich f.ex, I'm also interested).
    Perhaps we should try to gather a "critical mass" as Ed Roman mentions, and have The Middleware Company make a course for us?!
  26. The Middleware Company indeed provides that service. Simply email sales and we would be happy to do it.

BTW, I think this is a funny thread. I should be more conscious of the international character of the site. Sorry everyone!
  27. One more interested if there is something in Zurich.
  28. John!!!! Contact your cousin Steven
    sgianakouros@yahoo.com