Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Resource Bundle and EJB

1. Resource Bundle and EJB (6 messages)

Has anyone tried successfully loading a ResourceBundle properties file from within a EJB? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Ganesh

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Resource Bundle and EJB[ Go to top ]

It's very easy. Just make sure the bundle is in the EJB classloader's classpath.
  3. Resource Bundle and EJB[ Go to top ]

If you're using ResourceBundle to contain properties for an EJB, I would recommend using the EJB's deployment descriptor (ejb-jar.xml) instead. The ejb-jar.xml file supports the <env-entry> element, which you can use to store name-value pairs that represent properties like this:

<ejb-jar>
      <enterprise-beans>
        <session>
           <env-entry>
              <env-entry-name>logPath</env-entry-name>
              <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
              <env-entry-value>/usr3/bea/logs/</env-entry-value>
           </env-entry>

From your EJB bean class, you obtain the property like this:

InitialContext ic = new InitialContext();
    String logDirectory = (String) ic.lookup("java:comp/env/logPath");

Hope it helps!

SAF
  4. Resource Bundle and EJB[ Go to top ]

A EJB DD env entry can only be accessed by a single EJB. A resource bundle can be used by all EJB's and web app in the same .ear.
  5. Resource Bundle and EJB[ Go to top ]

Hello Eric and SAF,
    Thanks for you replies. I need to localize messages based on user locale. Hence the need for ResourceBundle. Have you tried the same with JBoss? Thanks
    Ganesh
  6. Resource Bundle and EJB[ Go to top ]

To explain further, my bundle.properties file is in the same place as Bean impl file. So I jarred them up. But the Server cannot seem to find it. Do I have to explicitly add it to class path? Thanks
    Ganesh
  7. Resource Bundle and EJB[ Go to top ]

If the property file is in your ejb jar file, then I dont see why you're ejb is having problems finding it.

Try placing the property file in your EAR root directory and reference the file from the ejb's Manifest file

SAF