Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Postable applications

1. Postable applications (5 messages)

Is it possible to write truly portable code that run in multiple app server and achieve good performance at the same time?
    Every app server I used so far has extensions.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Postable applications[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    It is not possible to write truly portable code for ejb application which can be deployed on different containers. I have read that serverside is providing some sort of portability code that is portable across 2-3 containers only.
    Dinesh Singh <dpsonline at hotmail dot com>
  3. Postable applications[ Go to top ]

Well, of course they all have extensions :) You can choose not to use them, get portable code, but miss out on optimizations. I think with some carefull design you can atleast achieve portabillity in most of the codebase, and isolate importable stuff to specific classes.
    One notable exception to this is read-only transactions: different containers handle them differently, and they should definately be standartized ASAP, IMHO.

Gal
  4. Postable applications[ Go to top ]

I started using JBoss and I find it hard to write portable applications for that app server.
  5. Postable applications[ Go to top ]

I/we use JBoss and have hod no problems porting to and from jboss and other app servers.

Jason
  6. Postable applications[ Go to top ]

Posted by Nadim Bitar 2002-04-17 15:51:15.0.

>I started using JBoss and I find it hard to write portable
    >applications for that app server.

What application servers do you find it hard to port to, and what problems do you have?

I have ported from Weblogic to JBoss and found that all I needed was minor changes to the deployment descriptors.

This app doesn't use entity beans.

Tom