Discussions

General J2EE: The Best J2EE Framework

1. The Best J2EE Framework (16 messages)

Hi!

I'd like to discuss here about what is the best FREE framework to develop J2EE applications.

I'm going to start a project using J2EE and I have thought this can be a good topic to discuss.

I hope your answers.

Thank you very much.

Threaded Messages (16)

2. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

Sorry! I haven't given my personal opinion!

Well, I'm new in J2EE. I only take a look to Expresso Framework and I have to say that firstly I liked a lot but I was doing some examples and my opinion has changed.

I've also read something about Struts but I don't like very much.

I can't say any more because I don't try any framework else.
  3. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

I would be curious to hear why you do not like Struts.

4. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

Struts is great for small to medium size application. When the application gets big, especially when presentation logic gets complicated, it is really a big hassle to maintain the a big xml config file. Also a problem to maintain a big properties file for message used all over the application. Seems Struts added support for multiple resource files.

Ben
  5. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

I think Struts is great for large applications as well. You just have to manage things carefully. We're about to implement a very large application using struts, and it's worked great for us.
  6. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

I have seen this comment many times, the config file is hard to maintain, it is too big, etc. I think this stems from the fact that most folks using Struts build their own implementations following the example available out there. I don't think there are many, at least that I have seen, that use DispatchAction, for example, instead of the plain vanilla Action class.

There are also other little ways that can be used to make Struts nothing more than a transport, if that's what you want. It all depends on how you architect your system.

IMHO, there should be very little, if any, business logic in your Action implementation. If you keep the control logic in your action to a minimum, Struts will have almost no hit to your performance as you scale the application. We have run some tests increasing the load and Struts' performance remains pretty much the same. This is of course all in my humble experience.
  7. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

Which is the best place to start learning / implementing struts.
  8. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

You can start at More About Struts. The site has quite a bit of information about Struts.

At the end of the day, however, and like with any framework, I recommend you aim at understanding how it really works so you can adapt it to your own needs. Examples are always good, but I find that they are in most cases covering only the very basic.
  9. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

I don't like struts very much because I think I spend less time without using it to develop an application than using it, but I have to say that I never use it in a real application.

Anybody can tell me a good example using struts to develop a J2EE application? Is there any "version" of PetStore using Struts? (it can be a good benchmark for Struts).

Bye.
  10. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

There are lots of open source frameworks that solve specific problems:

Struts
    Castor
    Maverick
    etc.

There are also frameworks that span multiple tiers/problems sets:

Expresso
    Kona
    Wakesoft
    etc.

I work for Wakesoft, so I will hold back on shamelessly plugging our product. But, our product - the Wakesoft Architecture Server - really is much more than simply a framework. It provides enormous real time benefits such as dynamically extending business logic, post deployment infrastructure configuration, manager/adapter architecture which abstracts many application level changes into simple to use XML config files. It does all of this while NOT taking control away from the individual developer.

Our product is currently in use at multiple customer sites including Fortune 500 companies.

If you want to learn more about Wakesoft and architecture vs. frameworks please feel free to send me an email --> harley at wakesoft dot com.

good luck.

Harley
    Wakesoft,Inc.

11. Hello! I'm a jsee architecture and I want to write about a new powerful j2ee frame work with name shine . A few days ago, I encounter a new Java frame work named Shine. I read it's getting started document and that motivated me to test it. I really enjoyed it, when I worked with it more! The Shine's Developer had written some documents about it, in Sourceforge.net & J2sos.org. The documents said that Shine: 1. Is a full java service oriented frame work. 2. Is a JWMS (Java Web Model Service architecture) frame work for web base projects. 3. Includes Ajax, MVC, Service Oriented Scope. So I tried to implement a simple sample in order to know it better. I found out that shine has a different view point about Service & to be Service oriented, that was very interesting for me! Shine has deployed on JWMS architecture that is exclusive to itself. Furthermore it supports MVC architecture too. As another advantage, Shine doesn't have the complexity of the other frameworks (for example FormBean component in Struts, …) and let developers to work with a very strong but simple operational process. The other advantage is full Ajax supporting of Shine. The simplicity but the power of Shine's validation is one of its advantages too. After working with Shine a little more, I realize something interesting in it. In addition to the Shines Special capability which I said, it has complex capabilities of Tapestry, Struts, Servlet, Jsp & … . I had developed some big java application projects. And as a professional developer I think Shine has some disadvantages, too. Shine is at its first version & doesn't have enough documents, Also it isn't experienced by developers and there is not real implemented project with it. So it isn't reliable enough to develop the projects with it. And this is the reasons that don’t let me to deploy a real project with it. but if I see a normal project with it and it work powerful like shine `s hello world sample, I actuly use shine for deploy my project. Time will show us, whether shine is so strong to show itself as a powerful framework among the others or not?! I don’t know, maybe Shine has some other advantages or disadvantages too. I really hope to learn about it more & will be glad if you let me know about your experiences touching Shine framework. you can find shine `s sample and shine`s learning documents in these links: http://groups.google.com/group/j2sos www.j2sos.org and for download shine framework you must visit shine in sorce forje in this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/shine-app/ my developer friends take it easy . . . you have a powerful framework with easyest way to use inside. good luck.
  12. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

HI ,

As far as i am concerned , the best J2EE Frameworks are

1.Spring as Applcication Developement Frame work

2. Hibernate for ORM

3. Struts for View

The main thing we have to remember is as an IT professional is don't dependent on any framework.You may need to work on the frame work u really don't know. But have the basic Java concepts in hand, which makes us adoptable to any J2EE framework

Thanks!!!

13. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

HI ,

As far as i am concerned , the best J2EE Frameworks are

1.Spring as Applcication Developement Frame work

2. Hibernate for ORM

3. Struts for View

The main thing we have to remember is as an IT professional is don't dependent on any framework.You may need to work on the frame work u really don't know. But have the basic Java concepts in hand, which makes us adoptable to any J2EE framework

Thanks!!!

14. spring 3[ Go to top ]

Hei,

i think best framework in java is Spring.

It has excelent spring-webmvc project for web.

greate spring jdbc, hibernate integration. 

15. The problem with Java EE applications is that very often you need to combine different heterogeneous frameworks.

Why don't use a lightweight global framework like Telosys ( http://www.telosys.org/ )

There's also a set of tools for scaffolding ( code generation for CRUD screens )

See the Eclipse plugin : http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/telosys-tools

16. The Best J2EE Framework[ Go to top ]

There is nothing like a best framework and worst framework. Each framework was developed with a purpose and it satisfies its purpose. So before deciding on the framework, you need to go through your requirement and find the purpose of your application. Based on that we need to decide.

If you want to have a very good UI and good business Logic, you can go with Spring with Flex integration.

if you want to have a very much scalable application with minimum maintainence, go with Spring and Hibernate integration.

if you want to develop something very fast and the UI has to look good, go for Java server Faces or Struts.

so it is the requirement that is going to drive the framework selection and all frameworks are best in one sense...

17. Best Frameworks To Build Web Apps[ Go to top ]

If you are building a website from scratch then you can use

1. JQuery - for dynamic behavior

2. JQuery UI - For Better Look

3. Struts 2 - For Building your bussiness logic

4. Hibernate ORM For Automating JDBC

I think struts 2 is great... Just go for it....