Database with J2EE app servers

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Database with J2EE app servers

1. Database with J2EE app servers (9 messages)

I'm interested in what Database people out there are using. Oracle seems to be a logical choice due to the marketshare, user familiarity, etc., but I'm really put off by the pricing.

What app server are you using the DB with and what are your experiences?

Thanks

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

I've been using cloudscape for testing purposes and seems to work very well. However, I still think that Oracle is the Industry standard out there and that, although expensive, it is worthwhile going for.
  3. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

I've used Oracle, DB2 UDB, and Sybase . . . Each worked and was a good DB.
  4. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

At my current client, we are using Oracle because that is their enterprise db, but because we are using EJB for our applications, I don't feel that a full featured server is really necessary. In our design, we do not use stored procedures and reports are the only place that we use complex views or database functions. Since we use connection pooling, we can not really take advantage of Oracle's security. I could see some advantages to such a full featured system on larger more distributed systems but for small to mid-size, I would not worry about it.

George
  5. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

Most of BEA's clients end up going into production with an Oracle server of some sort. I've seen a lot of clients, however, use SQL Server during development (it has an intuitive interface), Cloudscape, Sybase, and Informix. Generally, I've seen people stick to Oracle and SQL Server so that they can take advantage of JDBC 2.0 drivers and these two companies seem to always be in compliance with the latest versions of the specification.

Take it easy...
    Tyler Jewell
  6. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

If you are looking for bang for the buck then try PostGreSQL open source database. It is primarily for Linux, but can be installed on Win machines with some configuration.

We are running it here on TheServerSide.com with the weblogic application server, and we have had absolutely no problems.

Floyd
  7. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

Oracle now has a EJB1.1 container inside the Database. That makes the performence better (less round trips to the database). So if you use 8i (version 817) you get the database as well as an EJB1.1 container.
    Furthermore, you can use JDev3.2 (coming up in about 3 weeks) to develop, debug and deploy seemlessly to the Oracle internet platform...
    I hope this helps,

If you have questions on this email me @ omar dot tazi at oracle dot com

-Omar
  8. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

I am using Oracle and found it quite convenient in my big application.
  9. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I recently downloaded j2ee and created one entity bean.

i am not able to connect to Oracle.

i followed the following steps given in the document:

1. Add the JDBC driver.
    Syntax:
    j2eeadmin -addJdbcDriver <class name>
    Example:
    j2eeadmin -addJdbcDriver oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

2. Add the DataSource:.
    Syntax:
    j2eeadmin -addJdbcDatasource <jndi name> <url>
    Example:
    j2eeadmin -addJdbcDatasource \
    jdbc/Oracle jdbc:oracle:thin@rtc:1521:acct
    3. Update the J2EE_CLASSPATH. (See the J2EE_CLASSPATH section.)
    4. Restart the J2EE server.

Please let me know if anybody has connected Oracle.

thanks
  10. Database with J2EE app servers[ Go to top ]

Developed and Deployed WebLogic and Sybase 11.9.2 on Linux.
    Worked great, fast performance. Cost: free in development, $25,000 in production per Server. For large DBs wait for Linux 2.4 Kernel has been around a while. Until then use Solaris or AIX. Company wanted to go to Oracle. Why? They went insane. Not as fast, Cost: $120,000 just for one box. Don't spend the money on the DB. Especially if you are not using Java in the DB or stored procedures invoked by app. server. Put the money into using generic classes from vendors to spend as much of your time integrating instead of building from scratch and pay your developers well. Oracle gets too much money already.