WebCream 4.2 Swing-HTML Bridge Released

Discussions

News: WebCream 4.2 Swing-HTML Bridge Released

1. WebCream 4.2 Swing-HTML Bridge Released (10 messages)

CreamTec has just released WebCream 4.2, a new version of its pioneer Java Swing to HTML bridge. The product allows developers to implement a GUI front end using AWT and Swing, and at the same time automatically get HTML access to the application. New version of WebCream supports JDK 1.4 and allows customization of generated HTML.

Details at http://www.creamtec.com/webcream.

In a way, WebCream can be thought of as a dynamic Java to HTML converter, that converts Java frames and dialogs to HTML on the fly. Version 4.2 supports JDK 1.4 and most interestingly gives developers ability to customize HTML rendering and extend the engine by providing custom renderers and updaters. Now you can play around with WebCream and integrate your code with the standard rendering engine, and writing that code is very much like writing a servlet and anyone familiar with Swing and HTML can pick it up quickly.
  2. I've not tested personally but from the demos, this seems super cool. does anyone agree?
  3. Cool, maybe, but useful? I'm not so sure.

You can't just mechanically convert Swing to HTML and expect to get it right. The interaction patterns are quite different. If you were to write an app which both Swing and HTML frontends, they'd look and behave quite differently, I suspect.
  4. Take a look at the demos at http://www.creamtec.com/webcream/demos.html. One of the demos is SwingSet which as we all know is supposed to showcase what you can do with Java GUIs. While you are right about HTML and Java GUIs having a different idiology, half of the GUIs are very similar to HTML. They have forms with labels, entry fields and buttons. This maps to HTML very easily and WebCream gives the ability to do it automatically. May not work for all apps but can save lots of time and pain for many.
  5. Forward into the past!

Here we go again; yet another tool to over-extend and over-use HTML.

Look at the examples at the product's site. Run through the example clicking buttons and pressing tabs, creating a sequence of events with various displays. Now start clicking the Back button on the browser; the entire sequence of events is run backward! Does anyone write, or want to write, applications that do that? Try opening two windows to the same pages, and step one forward while stepping backward through the other. Do you want that?

Working hard today to deliver yesterday's applications tomorrow. When are people going to have the courage to put Java on the client side?!
  6. "Here we go again"

WebCream has been out for awhile.

You don't need to re-write your application. WebCream handles it.

But I do agree with you that HTML is over-used. WebCream can be useful in some situations but I don't think it should be the only deployment mechanism - or the main one.

BTW, I have the courage!

Mark
  7. BTW, what about new Macromedia Flash MX. It's supposed to bring rich client to web. Is it so?
  8. I agree. Flash is the answer to the web frontend gui and *not* Swing and *not* HTML. Do you know how many temporary objects Java creates when you do things in Swing? Flash ships with 90% of the browsers. Do you want the Joe user to download pounds of JRE to run a slow app? Have you looked at Flash pages and wondered how cool they look. It's about time for Flash to take off.
  9. I certainly agree with MacroMedia....Its Kool Graphics with connectivity to any Server Side Apps thru XML makes it a Thin Client with a Thick Client Features....In fact i have my self developed several Flash Movies which connect to Servlets and EJBs...

Cheers,
    Manja
  10. But does Flash MX let you develop proper GUIs, not just silly animations and movies?
  11. Look at this and judge for yourself
    https://www.enteryourinformation.com/broadmoor/onescreen.cfm?CFID=887719&CFTOKEN=35746737