Discussions

News: Java Server Pages 2.0 Specification Available for Public Review

1. The Java Server Pages (JSP) 2.0 spec is now available for public review. Some new changes in JSP 2.0 include the ability to write taglibs without java, the addition of an expression language, and more.

Download the JSP 2.0 spec.

Check out JSP 2.0 JSR.

2. JSP expression language[ Go to top ]

One quick way to experiment with most of the proposed features of the JSP 2.0 expression language is to download the JSTL implementation from Jakarta Taglibs, which contains an expression-language interpreter that's compliant with the JSTL 1.0 expression language (which we expect to be the core of the JSP 2.0 expression language).

The JSTL implementation at Jakarta Taglibs just had a final 1.0 release today; it's available from

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/releases/standard

--Shawn (a member of the JSP 2.0 expert group)
  3. JSP expression language[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    I wonder about the state of JSTPL compared to Struts-logic tags. I'm wondering if I should start using JSPTL or stick with the Struts-logic tags. We are about to start with a "version 2" of our product that uses struts-logic today and it would be possible to switch as we will upgrade our interface anyway. As I remember the development of Struts-logic is kind of running on halfspeed due to the fact that JSPTL was in the pipe.

Ok, so what I really think about is quality / performance issues when comparing Struts-logic with JSPTL. Maybe someone have written a nice book on the issue ;-)

Thanks // Torben Norling
  4. JSP expression language[ Go to top ]

I'm not unbiased (as the JSTL reference-implementation lead and author of a JSTL book), but my recommendation is to use the JSTL tags. Struts is planning on migrating to the JSTL tags for logic-based needs and is also planning on incorporating the expression into its tags (which of course will happen naturally when JSP 2.0 allows the expression language for all tag attributes and even in template text).
  5. JSP expression language[ Go to top ]

Thanks for your reply Shawn,
    Do you know if anyone (like BEA) have started with their own JSTL-specification implementation yet. I wonder because our schedule is to release our application in Mars 2003 and I'm curious about what will happen during the year regarding JSTL.

I would guess that JSTL is treated as one of the "JSP 2.0" features and will be one big release together with the next generation EJB stuff.
  6. JSP expression language[ Go to top ]

There are several suites of custom tags that
    do outperform JSTL already. Check out for
    example Coldtags or Ticl
  7. JSP expression language[ Go to top ]

Brought to you from the horse's mouth:

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5157

------- Additional Comments From Craig McClanahan 2002-06-23 05:49 -------

Note that the iteration tags in the recently released JSP Standard Tag Library (JSTL) support exactly this sort of thing. In the long term, I suggest that Struts users plan to migrate to JSTL over the existing tags in the struts-bean and struts-logic libraries.
  8. Hi there!
    I know it's a detail, but if you have a moment, just fix that title.. it sounds weird.
  9. Hah! Great title!
  10. Wow, I didn't know that the JSR's are reviewed to such an extreme extent. I am sure this trumps the M$ API review process...
  11. The title has been fixed. You can tell what was on my mind when I posted this. :)

Floyd
  12. [OT]: Old topic[ Go to top ]

Damn... to late :)

What was the old topic?

//Anders
  13. What's new?[ Go to top ]

So can anybody give a summary of what's new with the 2.0 spec? Or do I have to read through the whole thing?
  14. What's new?[ Go to top ]

Some of the big changes seem to be:

- The inclusion of the EL (shared with JSR 52)
    - The new JSP Fragments (more formal JSP componentization)
    - The new .tag idea, allowing custom tags to be defined using a JSP interface, not the Java interface Tags can be placed in WEB-INF/tags, allowing us to bypass the URI declaration
    - <include-prelude> allows you to include JSPs at the beginning of a set of JSPs (by url-pattern)
    - <include-coda> allows you to include JSPs at the end of a set of JSPs