Discussions

News: IDC: IBM Websphere Marketshare Leader in Western Europe

1. According to a new IDC report, IBM in 2001 became the marketshare leader in Western Europe, with 28.8 percent of the market. Western European is a $590 million application server market (more than a quarter of the worldwide market).

Read IBM's Press Release.

Read about the report Western European Application Server Software Platform Market. The abstract contains many key and interesting findings.
  2. remember that market share <> no of installations of server.

market share is only a measure of $.

so, for instance Jboss isn't even on this report.

3. Yeah, I agree. I'd like to some some more studies on install base instead of "dollar base." JBoss comes to mind, but also less expensive app servers like JRun and Orion come to mind. You could have 15 installs of JRun for every one install of IBM (isn't it about 20k/cpu?) and it still wouldn't be the "market leader" according to this report. I wanna know who's using what.

-Newt
  4. Who cares?

I think the entire J2EE community is sick of these "surveys" that exist for the sole purpose of marketing.

Gennadiy
  5. <quote>
    I think the entire J2EE community is sick of these "surveys" that exist for the sole purpose of marketing.
    </quote>

Amen, brother!
  6. It is easy to increase your market share when you rename all your products into WebSphere... (MQ Series, Crossworlds, GO/Servlet, etc...)

7. This survey is interesting only from the context of
      Weblogic vs Websphere

As you all know, especially in new projects, when selecting a software product, the CTO/decision maker goes with the market share leader.
  8. <quote>
    As you all know, especially in new projects, when selecting a software product, the CTO/decision maker goes with the market share leader.
    </quote>

Depends on who advises the so-called decision makers. Thank the gods your statement isn't always true.

Ray
  9. Doesn't the same apply to BEA ? tuxedo = weblogic etc.