Apache Axis 1.0 Tutorial

Discussions

XML & Web services: Apache Axis 1.0 Tutorial

1. Apache Axis 1.0 Tutorial (3 messages)

Hello,

If you are looking for help with Apache Axis 1.0, you can read a comprehensive tutorial at Ammai.com. The URL for the tutorial is here: http://www.ammai.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page=1

There are step by step instructions for you to create and deploy your own Web service.

Thanks,
    Vinu.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Apache Axis 1.0 Tutorial[ Go to top ]

Vinu,

Maybe you can answer this question for me.

Is there a 'light client' implementation of Axis? When I implement an Axis client it seems the client needs

axis.jar
    saaj.jar
    jaxrpc.jar
    log4j.jar
    commons-logging.jar
    commons-discovery.jar
    j2ee.jar (why the heck does the client need j2ee.jar?)

This is a bit insane. Do you have any idea why the client runtime is so large? Is it possible to have a much lighter weight runtime?

Dave Wolf
  3. Apache Axis 1.0 Tutorial[ Go to top ]

Hello Dave,

The reason Axis needs all those JAR's is because it is implemented on top of those libraries, so even for the client side, it is required. For example, Axis implements JAX-RPC, so it requires the jaxrpc.jar file.

But, you do not need j2ee.jar. It is not one of the requirements. My client runs fine without j2ee.jar. What happens if you run your client without it? Maybe your code requires calls to EJBs which require the j2ee.jar.

I hope that helps,
    Vinu.
  4. Apache Axis 1.0 Tutorial[ Go to top ]

Vinu,

I've been chatting with some of the developer's of Axis on their list-serv and it seems the 1.0 version does indeed have a bug where the client side has a dependancy on javax.servlet.ServletContext class.

The bug has been fixed, but not until after the 1.0 release.

Dave Wolf
    Personified Technologies LLC