Websphere or Weblogic - Better choice?

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Websphere or Weblogic - Better choice?

1. Websphere or Weblogic - Better choice? (7 messages)

Has any one used Websphere and Weblogic? Which is a better choice and what are good features of each in terms of security, scalability, performace, integration..

2. BEA: current release is Weblogic 7.0

IBM: current release is Websphere 4.0 (Version 5.0 is due in January 2003)

I prefer Weblogic over Websphere.
  3. Websphere is always late in its implementation of the specs. Weblogic is the first one and is the industry leader. The only thing going for Websphere is that it is from IBM. Many companies are loyal to IBM and hence, even though they know that Weblogic is more superior than Websphere in terms of almost everything, would choose Websphere. I should know. Another thing is that IBM is very big, they can spend as much money as they want to destroy their competitors, while BEA is only living on their main product - Weblogic.
  4. I agree with Marco that Websphere has been behind the specs,but now they are catching up with specs. I would say Websphere 4.0.3 is better than Weblogic 7.0 and Websphere 5.0 is on its way.
  5. Dear Priyanka,
    I would prefer WebSphere since we can do lot of XML Integration with WebSphere easily.

Also asp Mr, Marco , that Websphere has been behind the specs,but now they are catching up with specs. I would say Websphere 4.0.3 is better than Weblogic 7.0 and Websphere 5.0 is on its way.

thanks
    Ramesh Lakshmanan
  6. Guys, I don't wanna start a discussion here on which one is better and which one we will prefer (anymore). In the end, it will all go down to what application server your company will choose. We are just employees (of course, I'm sure others here are not, I'm not going to debate with you guys) and as employees we follow what the company standard is. Especially right now at this kind of market where lots of people are out of job. Can you be choosy on what company you will work for? Can you ask them what app server they are using and if they are not using what you want, do you not accept the job anymore?
  7. The answer depends on what you want to do. Websphere will always be behind in implementing the latest spec. If you application is planing to use all the latest bleeding edge technologies then go with weblogic. If you are using only time tested features of appserver then you can go with both.

Most appservers charge a per cpu lisence. So findout how may cpu nodes you would be deploying and how much will be the total cost of ownership.

The tools / ide that you want to use for development. What is the cost associated with them. Websphere is expensive so the numbers add up very fast.

What products do you have to integrate with. If you are an IBM shop stick with websphere.

How much will it cost to train the team. What product is the team familiar with.

8. Is pretty funny to read that websphere is better than weblogic... specially when comparing 7.0 to 4.0.3.

very funny