Discussions

News: Sun EVP Schwartz on the Marketplace and Future Strategy

1. In a recent interview, Jonathan Schwartz, executive vice president in charge of Sun's software group says that Sun's goal is to ship a a tighly integrated stack of all of Sun's server-side software stack by June 30, 2003. Other interesting tidbits include his allusion that the majority of WebLogic and Websphere revenue is on Solaris, Java's role in Sun's strategy, and more.

Read Schwartz: Sun’s Future Tied to Solaris.

An interesting quote:
    "IBM is making all its money from service contracts from people trying to fire all their IT administrators, and while Microsoft is making money by extracting a monopoly rent, they’re not making money because they’re innovating."
  2. Sun, they are the Mecedies of servers when the market place wants and needs Hondas. Tough position to be at... Don't they know that servers are a commodity? Dell gets it, got it, and are executing. I hope Sun know they are up a river with out a paddle. I guess only 10% percent of their staff knows it.

Linux/Opensource or Microsoft or IBM is the way for software or AMD, IBM, and Intel for chips, Dell, HP, and IBM for boxes.... People get to choose. Sun needs to stop thinking that the dot com era is not over and that people still have funny money to buy over priced hardware. How on earth can they compete with Intel, BEA, Microsoft,Dell, HP, AMD, IBM, and Linux at $3 a share? Why would you ever put yourself in a position? Better them than me....

Only history and time will tell.
  3. According you your logic in this down economy everyone is buying kia's and mopeds because they are the most economical and get the best MPG. However, if you take a look around on any major highway you will quickly realize that most people drive 40K luxury and cars and SUVs. Why is that? There are things more important to people about vehicles than pure price/performance. Today, IT managers can buy dirt cheap used PC's and build a linux cluster out of them creating a huge server farm that dwarfs the computing power of a Sun netra at the same comparative price. Why don't they do it? Power consumption, size, management, reliability,support, and maintenance all play a critical part in any IT purchasing decision. Do you honestly think in a years time you will be able to go to Best Buy and buy a server grade computer that you would actually trust to have 99% uptime and trust to conduct hundreds of thousands of dollars of transactions on? If so, you are a brave man.

Also, where is this cheap x86 hardware? The itanic 2 is 4K a CPU, hardly a give away. AMD's opteron has been pushed back until next year. x86 server quality hardware is not as cheap as one would think, either. Factor in licensing costs for the M$ OS and server products you won't be banking too much money.

Solaris is an excellent OS and is very easy to manage and configure. From an admin and reliabilty vantage, there is no better OS IMHO. It does appear that Linux and Solaris my be merged, with recent rumors of Solaris being open sourced, being LSB compliant, and Solaris 9's lxrun tool that support Linux binary executables.

while I don't believe that Sun will ever be as big as M$ or IBM, I certainly believe they have quality solutions that will allways have a place in the market. The idea that one size fits all is false and I believe the market has picked up on that theme, pushing open standards and proprietary implementations.
  4. Well - one size does not fit all.

There will certainly be a market for high-end systems,
    where cheap windows/ia-32 and linux/ia-32 systems
    will not be sufficient.

But I think it would be a good assumption that
    the high-end market will continue to shrink and
    in best case be stable, while the cheap low-end
    market will see the high growth rates.