JavaWorld Archive Requires Pay Subscription

Discussions

News: JavaWorld Archive Requires Pay Subscription

1. JavaWorld Archive Requires Pay Subscription (39 messages)

JavaWorld will offer a special introductory rate of $29.99 for a yearly subscription if you subscribe by March 1. PayPal will handle the payment transactions starting January 20.

January 3, 2003

Dear JavaWorld readers,

We understand our readers rely on access to the latest Java information as well as the most comprehensive archive of Java-related material. As you know, JavaWorld provides an extensive archive of tutorials dating back to its March 1996 premier issue. Moving forward, the JavaWorld Archive will only be available through a yearly subscription of $49.99. This cost will go directly to keeping the archived content available and supporting more content for JavaWorld's weekly updates.

I'm sure your first question is, what will be accessible without a subscription? The short answer is that every new article—be it a tutorial, product review, or news story—will first be free on JavaWorld's homepage. After a period of time, the article will be automatically archived and then only available to readers with a JavaWorld Archive subscription.

How long will each article remain free before it is archived? Since JavaWorld publishes new material weekly (every Friday), all new articles on the homepage—and any past articles linked within these new articles or included in the current email newsletters—will be free for one week (from Friday to the next Friday). So those who do not wish to support JavaWorld by subscribing can simply visit weekly to peruse new articles.

As always, we highly value feedback from our readers. If you have any questions or comments about the JavaWorld Archive, please let us know. The JavaWorld Archive subscription will be launched on January 20, 2003.

Best wishes in the new year,
    Carolyn Wong
    Editor in Chief

View the Archive Changes

Threaded Messages (39)

2. Going down the pan[ Go to top ]

Javaworld will end up going down the pan. So many content sites have introduced a pay to view scheme and have since gone out of business.

Why don't they use their content to publish technical books.
  3. Javaworld used to be[ Go to top ]

Sad, Javaworld will go down; nobody will use the pay archives. Every good site seems to go down eventually. Anyway, the Javaworld hasn't been what is used to be for about 1.5 years now. Almost no excellent articles have been published since.
  4. small number of articles...[ Go to top ]

The number of articles released, at least in the J2ee section is really low, it looks like only David Geary writes articles to JavaWorld... Also you have to consider that a lot of people that read the article are not from the US and 30 or 50 is just not worth it, unless they start creating a lot more articles...
  5. Oh well - Onjava.com it is then...[ Go to top ]

I've used javaworld.com a lot over the past few years and I am very disappointed that they have decided to adopt a new model into their business. On the flip side - if they don't make money then we loose the service anyway :-(
  6. You are right.... better to keep it[ Go to top ]

At least the new content is still free, and only older stuff requires a subscription. JavaWorld has posted many great articles and will continue to do so. I hope it all works out for them. I wonder what made them make this change.
  7. Really a bad Idea.[ Go to top ]

If you are having financial problems this is not a good way to solve them. There is a lot of free high quality content on the NET, people will just divert to different sites....
    Who is going to pay to put advertisement on pages that are viewed by such a limited number of people?

I suggest you reconsider and look for another solution.
  8. This is really a bad new to Java World from javaworld. Every body from professional to student have benefited from the articles on javaworld. Few of them might also become paid members but what will happen to the student and other members who cant not pay them.

If they are having financial problem then there can be other solution. As some body has rightly suggested they can edit some of the articles and come out with book. I think there is a great demand for good book. People do not like to read long articles on PC. Even in our company we frequently took printouts of the articles when we required them. Theserverside is offering free PDF but still able to sell the book.
    If they dont not make it free again they will lose all the members and also good writters as nobody want to publish articles on sites which are not read by a large set of public.

I hope that sun dont tell us one day thet java is no longer free !
  9. I suppose it is OK to charge. They can't run the site for free and if they make money they could ask prominent Java developers to write excellent articles. That would benefit everyone.
    Sometimes I feel that anything on internet has to be for free. But there is no free lunch. And charging for subscription is the easiest way to survive. In addition they provide fresh articles for free.
    Most of developers earn good money and they can afford to subscribe. But it would be difficult for students, which makes this option less attractive.
    I suppose then JavaWorld will be focusing on professionals in near future if they go on with their plans.
  10. onjava.com[ Go to top ]

I think onjava.com is the only resource with same
    level and will close this kind of gap successfully.
  11. Pay Pay Pay[ Go to top ]

we have to pay for books, articles, certification, whitepapers, tutorials.., Jboss documentation

At the end, we have nothing in the pocket.

In future we will have to pay to API Javadocs.
  12. Its worth every dime![ Go to top ]

Javaworld helped me get started with Java. Its insights and tips were valuable. They are asking for a very reasonable fee. Besides, its not like there is no other online java magazine. If you cant pay, go to onjava or javapro. If you are like me , a true fan, then pay up !
  13. Use Google[ Go to top ]

Most of the time I find a relevant article here it is from googling it. Now I'll just have to use the View Cached page link.
  14. After they started posting articles like "how to upgrade to C#", I cannot even say I care that much about that piece of news - it must belong to the new owner's ("sponsor"'s?) politics. It's still sad to watch sites and companies going down and being taken over at this speed though..
  15. Thanks JavaWorld!!![ Go to top ]

It is very sad news for all Java guys. But I am very thankful to JavaWorld for giving the articles free for first one week.
  16. JavaWorld RIP[ Go to top ]

I definitely agree that the quality of the articles has substantially diminished in the last year.

Now that they have already torched the quality material (the C# articles are shameful), they are cashing in their chips by trying to squeeze the last bit of revenue out of their archives. Dated material offers no value.

It was the leading site on Java at one point.

Now, it is gone. ONJava and TheServerSide can more than make up the difference. Any have any other less well known ones?
  17. JavaWorld RIP[ Go to top ]

there are a lot of java related sites:

http://www.javaskyline.com/
    http://www.j2eeolympus.com/
    http://www.javable.com/
    http://www.kickjava.com/
    http://www.fawcette.com/javapro/
    http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/
  18. Goodbye JavaWorld[ Go to top ]

The site might still have some good information but I stopped going there a long time ago. The layout changed and wasn't as nice as onjava.com or theserverside.com.

Unfortunately, I think it will end up the same way as JavaReport...non-existent. If for example, you can get a free subscription to JDJ or JavaPro, why pay? I'm not willing to pay for a JavaWorld archives subscription.

Jim
  19. $50 bucks[ Go to top ]

Guys, it is only $50 bucks a year. It is about what you pay for a night out at the club. If these article are useful to you, the subscription fee should not be a problem.
  20. Non-Paypal countries cannot pay[ Go to top ]

Hi All

I believe the archives are worth $50. I have consulted JavaWorld before doing anything new for some time now and usually found a great article.

I tried to subscribe this morning and guess what? They only accept payment via Paypal and Paypal does not support South Africa (where I live). So now I have to wangle something with a friend overseas. Annoying.

Cheers
    David
  21. How many people here pay for a jguru subscription?

Javaworld is going the same way jguru went, free at first then subscription service. I personally have not gone back to jguru and will probably never go there. Java is free - Jboss is free - Tomcat is free - Eclipse is free - now why the hell should i pay for docs?
  22. Do you work for free[ Go to top ]

Do you work for free? Do the company you work for give away it's software and or services? No? Pay the $29.00 - they pay their authors whats the big deal. Despite recent times Software Developers and their are employers are hardly on the breadline...
  23. I don't work for free[ Go to top ]

Do you work for free? Do the company you work for give >away it's software and or services? No? Pay the $29.00 - >they pay their authors whats the big deal. Despite recent >times Software Developers and their are employers are >hardly on the breadline...

shrug. i don't pay for eclipse or tomcat or jboss. dunno why in the world i would pay for articles..
  24. I don't work for free[ Go to top ]

shrug. i don't pay for eclipse or tomcat or jboss. dunno why in the world i would pay for articles..

Do you do anything to support the developers who create/maintain eclipse or tomcat or jboss? Or are you one of those that bitch about the documentation that came with their free software? I'll bet those who complain about $29 for additional content don't think about paying for cable tv or buy bottled water.

-Pete
  25. What I'll pay for[ Go to top ]

I'd be more likely to pay them than for Cable TV or bottled water but I'll only do it if there's an article I really want/need to read. If there are enough folk who pay, it will have been the right decision, otherwise it will fold. End of story, nothing we say will change what happens.
  26. Why Not Pay Per Article?[ Go to top ]

They should have a pay per article and make it be $1 an article. I think that's a fair price, and a fee I'd actually pay if there were an article I really wanted to read. The problem is this:

Which one of these is too big?
       $50 / year
       $4.16 / month
       $0.96 / week

If they's said less than a dollar a week, would they have as many people complaining? $0.96 is not bad. They just stink at marketing (hey they're programmers).
  27. Yeah! I have the same trouble![ Go to top ]

I am in China,I have the same trouble with you.I think it's
    a bad news for all java guys over the world.
  28. $50 bucks[ Go to top ]

Thanks Sam for putting this into perspective for the cheapskates on this site.
  29. $50 bucks[ Go to top ]

Its not about the value, its that JavaWorld isnt what it used to be, in the quantity and quality of its articles, and there is tons of information for free, so who is going to pay? just a few of all its regular users, which will drop the number of site access and etc...
  30. Frankly, this won't work. There is plenty of free information on Java out there that we don't need to pay JavaWorld. I like JavaWorld, but I don't like it so much that I want to pay them money every year.

I can't imagine who might have come with this unless they have their backs to the wall. If that's the case, maybe it's time to fold and look for something profitable to do. Good luck.
  31. nothing wrong here - we should support[ Go to top ]

I find the artcles interesting although I dont visit them frequently. But if I do I usually search the archives so I will go ahead and subscribe when the need arises.
    I dont see anything wrong in their policy, although I hope
    they provide a better search engine.
  32. Problem first comes from the authors[ Go to top ]

Authors won't like to publish quality articles to javaworld anymore since only very limited people can see that. Without new articles, the site can not survive.
  33. Charge a token amount[ Go to top ]

I would propose they revisit their charging model. If instead of charging some 40 odd $'s if they charge let us say 10$ per annum I would assume they each and every javaworld reader would be prepared to pay for it.

Let us say they have a user base of only 1 million (I say only because I would assume there is a lot more) and from that even if 50% are prepared to pay 10$ then do the math and you will see that a revenue of 5 Million $ is substantial for a site which was free till yesterday.
  34. It's simply not practical[ Go to top ]

$50 is not a real problem.

First, its psychological problem. There are so many other sites free, why you want to pay for this?

Second, the paying process itself is a problem. How many of you like to pay via Internet? It may common in US, but definitely not in Asia. Do you know 99% of credit card (actually is debit card) issued in China can't pay anthing other than Chinese dollars? Does India have credit card?(I don't know) So how many readers you lost already?
  35. No Credit Card - No Problem[ Go to top ]

Uh...you don't need a credit card. PayPal (which they use for payments) accepts debit cards, bank accounts, checks, money orders and credit cards.
  36. No Credit Card - No Problem[ Go to top ]

As I know, there is no personal cheque in China, nobody would like to give out the account no to the Internet. Who's going to go to the bank and queue half an hour to buy money orders?

How many countries use PayPal anyway? There is no such thing even in so hi-tech Singapore.
  37. no entry tor non-us developers[ Go to top ]

Using paypal as the only payment method is a totally brain damaged decission, dont they care about the developers worldwide? PayPal still declines customers which are not residents of the us.
  38. Leech[ Go to top ]

So we have until march to leech the site for our personal archive :)
  39. Text from email

Note from Seller:
    We are reevaluating the JavaWorld Archive subscription model. Therefore, we are
    refunding your paid subscription fee. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you
    for supporting JavaWorld.
  40. JavaWorld Open again[ Go to top ]

Strange enough...maybe the responsible persons checked this discussion and reconsidered their idea about subscription. Or do they just change the payment rules according to the problems??? We'll see what will happen.
    Personally, I think that on the one hand it truely is nice to get the articles for free (just the past weekend I read the introductory series on JSF), yet noone can forget about the work that is to be done for writing the articles and for maintaining the archive.