Discussions

News: Apache WSIF (Web Services Invocation Framework) 2.0 released

1. The Apache WSIF (Web Services Invocation Framework) team is proud to announce the first open release of Apache WSIF.

WSIF (the "Web Services Invocation Framework") is a WSDL-based API for invoking WSDL-described services. WSIF developers interact with Web Services at the abstract level through their WSDL descriptions. This is done independently of APIs specific to a message format or network protocol (eg SOAP APIs).

With WSIF, developers work with the same programming model regardless of how the Web service is implemented and accessed. WSIF achieves this with a pluggable architecture with protocol-specific "providers" to handle invocations according to a specific protocol.

Apache WSIF 2.0 comes bundled with providers for SOAP (using Apache SOAP or Axis), local java classes, EJBs, JMS services and applications accessible via Java Connectors. WSIF also describes the specific WSDL extensions used to make these kinds of applications accessible as WSDL-described services.

WSIF allows stubless or completely dynamic invocation of a Web service, based upon examination of the meta-data about the service at runtime. It also allows updated implementations of a binding to be plugged into WSIF at runtime, and it allows the calling service to defer choosing a binding until runtime.

This is the first release of WSIF since it was contributed to the ASF, and is named 2.0 to avoid confusion with previous non-Apache licensed 1.x versions.

For more information about Apache WSIF 2.0, please go to
    http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsif

Thanks to all the committers, contributors and users for their efforts in helping get our first release out.

Apache WSIF Development Team.
  2. Congrats WSIF team. Thats a good way to go about in providing a fully Open Source suite for web services.
  3. Broken link...[ Go to top ]

Your link is broken ;)

Axis is good, been using it for a while.
  4. WSIF is not the same as Axis[ Go to top ]

Hello,

Just to clarify: Apache WSIF isn't the same as Apache Axis.

Axis is primarily a SOAP engine; on the client side it fully supports the JAX-RPC API for invocation of SOAP services.

WSIF is a WSDL-driven API for using WSDL-described services, i.e. it is a client side API. It is different from JAX-RPC because it lets applications program against the abstract description in the WSDL only, independent of any particular protocol such as SOAP.

WSIF defines extensions to WSDL so that EJBs, local java classes, JMS services, J2C services can all be described in WSIF (and then accessed using the same uniform WSIF API).

WSIF also allows oyu to switch between protocols (for example make and EJB available as a SOAP service, or over JMS) just by changing the WSDL (i.e. without touching the client code). You can find more information on the WSIF web site - xml.apache.org/axis/wsif.

Thanks,
    Nirmal.
  5. WSIF is not the same as Axis[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Again worth emphasizing that WSIF lets you describe locally available java classes, EJBs, apps accessible via JMS and J2C using WSDL, and then accessing all of these things (and of course stuff accessible using SOAP) through one API. So it is of incredible value to the J2EE developer who needs to integrate all these things in applications.

Try out the samples with the WSIF release, one of which combines use of a SOAP service, an EJB and an MDB. Add to that its capability of allowing you to move your service your service or changing the access mechanism (e.g. from MDB to EJB or SOAP) *without having to even recompile your client app* (i.e. just by changing the service description i.e. the WSDL) and it becomes really cool.

Thanks,
    Nirmal.
  6. I've been doing something like this only "by hand". On thing I didn't see was how to do it with serialized Java classes instead of SOAP.