IBM Completes Rational Buyout

Discussions

News: IBM Completes Rational Buyout

1. IBM Completes Rational Buyout (10 messages)

IBM officials said Friday the company has completed its $2.1 billion cash acquisition of Rational Software. IBM first unveiled its intentions to buy Rational in December, which was followed by speculation that Microsoft might make a competitive bid. The Rational acquisition adds to IBMs "On Demand" initiative, which it recently launched.

Read IBM Completes Rational Buyout.

Also read Interview with Eric Shurr, VP Rational Division of IBM.

Threaded Messages (10)

2. IBM Completes Rational Buyout[ Go to top ]

Borland bought TogetherSoft and now IBM buys Rational. I find it really interesting that these two companies were bought. Today's economy puts companies in a cost cutting mode, and these products are butt expensive! I had the priviledge to work for one company who could afford TogetherJ. We used an XP process and the other diagrams we used were Sequence and Class. That was when Together didn't cost an arm and a leg. Now I think it's hard to justify it's high price. So I'm not sure if this was a good move for IBM or not.
  3. IBM Completes Rational Buyout[ Go to top ]

Now the design tools are going to go more mainstream, which if used properly can reduce the devlopment time and the project cost to a great extent. when compared to their license fees, the reduction in project cost will be much more.
    so its a good move for IBM to buy Rational before M$. Then Java wouldnt have such a superb design tool..
  4. IBM Completes Rational Buyout[ Go to top ]

Very interesting moves occur at the market these days. Borland buys TogetherSoft, IBM Rational...who will buy JetBrains(IntelliJ IDEA product)? And the most amazing thing is that both award winning products IDEA and Together CC were created in the city I live in, in St.-Petersburg, Russia.
  5. IBM Completes Rational Buyout[ Go to top ]

I dont think IDEA is in the same category as any of these other tools. IDEA is a hackers dream, but IBM (in particular) and Borland sell to managers.
  6. IBM Completes Rational Buyout[ Go to top ]

Christian, I think you have missed the main selling point of IDEA if you just dismiss it as a hacker's dream.

The features that really distinguish IDEA are it's abilities to integrate with the key tools of XP such as ANT and JUnit and it's refactoring capabilites. I believe that IDEA is an easy sell to any development manager purely in trems of productivity gains. It doesn't take many saved hours of development time to recoup it's low initial cost.

I am not sure that you can make the same claims for productivity for a combined Rational Rose & WSAD development platform.
  7. ant & junit integration[ Go to top ]

I think *all* IDE's has that, so that can not be a differentiator
    for IDEA's product.
  8. IDEA and Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Well, all IDEAs may have some support for Ant, JUnit, maybe refactoring. IMHO it's the quality of support that differentiates IDEA. Try IDEA's "Find Usages", some of the refactoring commands, the CVS integration, or even just the code editor itself, with its syntax analyzer - it's unbelievably great, and a bargain at 500 USD! The major highlight is its usability, including exemplary interaction of all its features. And it doesn't get in your way, a rare virtue among IDEs. My main concern is J2EE development, including lots of JSPs, and this is where IDEA really shines. The JSP editor is great, it supports JSP debugging with Tomcat 4.0, and "Find Usages", refactoring, etc all work with JSPs too.

I've also tried Eclipse, both 1.0 and 2.0, and I've been quite impressed by it as a Java IDE. I wasn't entirely happy though, because of the complete lack of JSP support, the lack of support for pessimistic version control (CVS Checkout Readonly + Edit/UnEdit), and some usability issues. Eclipse 2.1 (currently a release candidate) addresses most of these issues, but I haven't had the time to try it yet. Note that there's still no standard support for JSP, just via third-party plugins like Lomboz. Of course, you can have a full J2EE development environment based on Eclipse 2.0, including JSP support: Buy WebSphere Studio Application Developer, at ~3000 USD.

That's where the circle closes: WSAD + Rational Rose are a very expensive combo, in the league of Together Control Center, and even beyond JBuilder 8 Enterprise that includes UML visualization at 3000 USD. All of them seem to sell mainly to managers - they sound good and have big companies behind them. And they assume a classic development process, including heavy UML modeling - not a bad thing, just not everybody's dream. On the other hand, IDEA gives you everything you need for agile development - not necessarily best for everything, but many developers' dream. The only "drawback" is that JetBrains is a small company, which may be hard to sell to managers sometimes.

BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with JetBrains, the company behing IDEA - just a happy user! And I'm no IDEA dogmatist either, I even consider using Eclipse 2.1 for non-JSP projects, just for the sake of curiosity and experience.

Juergen
  9. IDEA and JBuilder[ Go to top ]

Yes, IDEA is a very great product. It lacks some J2EE features that JBuilder has, however you can do all you want with ANT and XDoclet.

Maris
  10. IBM Completes Rational Buyout[ Go to top ]

Christian, I think you have missed the main selling point of IDEA if you just dismiss it as a hacker's dream.

maybe we are talking about different managers here. The ones I know buy because something bears a big name, shows nice pictures, and/or is expensive. I have even seen corporate technical evaluators follow this path. Have you ever heard the saying "nobody ever got fired because of buying from IBM"?

I wasnt "dismissing" IDEA

regards,
    Christian
  11. IBM Completes Rational Buyout[ Go to top ]

Hi Christian

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I live in a sort of nirvana but I believe that in the present climate with reduced IT development budgets managers are much more focussed on return on Investment (ROI) than ever before. It is no longer enough just to stick a big blue badge on a box to ensure that you capture a large market share.

IT Development managers/ IT Directors that I speak to are now much more clued up about Rapid App Development and are keen to bring in tools that provide an agile development environment.

As an aside - I can guarantee that the old saying that no one ever got fired for buying IBM is now a lie. The IT Director at one of my previous clients got fired purely because he spent £750k on WebSphere/WSAD instead of checking out Open Source alternatives (at least for the development environment).

regards
    Andy