JDO vs. JDBC performance?

Discussions

Performance and scalability: JDO vs. JDBC performance?

1. JDO vs. JDBC performance? (5 messages)

Are there any benchmarks available to compare JDBC vs. JDO performance? Specifically where prepared statements are available for use within JDBC

Threaded Messages (5)

2. JDO vs. JDBC performance?[ Go to top ]

I dont know any benchmarks, but I think that JDBC is obviosly faster.

Maris
  3. Why we must compare APIs?[ Go to top ]

JDO use JDBC. So JDBC must be faster (sometimes very faster) then JDO.

But... JDO has implemented cache (and connection pool). Hence, in some cases JDO will bite "nude" JDBC.

As You can see, JDO is more higher layer of Persistent API then JDBC. There are exist some parallels with CMP & BMP.
    JDO and CMP more complex but can be faster in development (sounds good). BMP and JDBC allow more freedom. You may try to create own pooling and cache and achieve greates performance (but this will take time + time + time).

So, better compare *solutions* then APIs.
  4. JDO vs. JDBC performance?[ Go to top ]

I'd be interested if anyone does a quick comparison.

Also keep in mind that with JDO you can develop 10x faster. So with the increased developer productivity you may be able to afford bigger/faster/more servers which could offset any performance penalties.

Assembly is faster than Java but no one poses this question there..
  5. JDO vs. EJB CMP performance?[ Go to top ]

I think that the real comparison of performance and speed of development should be between JDO & EJB CMP. The reason for this is that I cannot imagine creating a large project that uses hand-crafted JDBC access to the DB.

The choice now is between JDO & EJB CMP
  6. CMP vs JDO[ Go to top ]

I think that the real comparison of performance and speed of development should be between JDO & EJB CMP. The reason for this is that I cannot imagine creating a large project that uses hand-crafted JDBC access to the DB.

>
    > The choice now is between JDO & EJB CMP

or CMP implemented using JDO. with all the benifits..

Dan D.