Discussions

News: Software Tree Releases JDX 4.0 O/R Mapper

1. Software Tree Releases JDX 4.0 O/R Mapper (13 messages)

Software Tree has announced JDX 4.0, a Java Object-Relational Mapping (OR-Mapping) tool. The new version includes a new GUI that simplifies mapping specification, verification, schema generation, and reverse engineering Java classes from an existing schema. Other new features include optimistic locking, join collection classes that define one-to-many or many-to-many relationships, etc.

Check out JDX 4.0 and the press release.

Threaded Messages (13)

2. I would like to highlight the following features added to the new release of JDX:

Virtual attribute: Allows mapping of class attributes, which are not explicitly declared in the class definition. This could be very helpful in extending or adapting an application, for example, with some/all attributes maintained in a hashtable.

Aggregated operation: Returns the aggregate value (COUNT, MIN, MAX, AVG, SUM) for the specified attribute of the qualifying objects. Enables easy data analysis and reporting.

Development methodologies with JDX are simple and non-intrusive. JDX does not involve pre-processing or post-processing of the code; JDX does not need/create exponential number of intermediate or configuration files. Here is a link explaining the development steps at a high level:

JDX Development Steps

The new version also comes with a revamped manual and detailed tutorials.

A free 21-day evaluation version of JDX 4.0 is available from the Software Tree web site.

Damodar Periwal
    Software Tree, Inc.
    Simplify Data Integration
    http://www.softwaretree.com
  3. Other O/R tools[ Go to top ]

How does JDX compare to OJB and Hibernate (at the low end), and Cocobase and Toplink (at the high end)? I assume it resembles the former more than the latter?

It's getting hard to keep track of all of these competing O/R tools.
  4. JDX and Other O/R tools[ Go to top ]

JDX is an enterprise class product that has proved itself in high-volume, high-performance applications. Here are links to some testimonials and case studies. And here is a link to JDX 4.0 feature set. All this in a small footprint runtime engine.

To a large extent, in addition to the feature set, the suitability of a particular product or approach depends upon your application architecture and the givens of the situation. Do you need to easily share, modify and comprehend mapping information within your team? Do you have the luxury of processing or making changes to your classes to meet the requirements of using an O/R Mapping technology? How quickly your object-model is evolving and how easily the O/R mapping product can accommodate that? How easily and efficiently the product can work in conjunction with your application servers? Are you dealing with an existing schema and do you need a convenient tool to reverse-engineer Java classes?

We believe that by designing and evolving JDX along the practical needs of most common application scenarios, we have created a versatile solution to help integrate Java/J2EE applications flexibly with relational databases. JDXStudio sure simplifies the necessary mapping configuration issues. You are welcome to check out JDX 4.0 firsthand by downloading a 21-day eval version from our web site.

Damodar Periwal
    Software Tree, Inc..
  5. JDX and Other O/R tools[ Go to top ]

OK, that was a very nice sales pitch, but how about answering the question? ;-)

When you're introducing a new product to an already crowded market, you need to convince everyone why yours is better than the competition. From what you've said, and from what I read in your literature, JDX is trying to compete with the other commercial OR tools out there. That's a tough brief. Those products are already well established, so we really need some comparisons between JDX and those other tools - otherwise, why take the risk?
  6. JDX and Other O/R tools[ Go to top ]

Thanks Kenny. Seems like those sales training classes are paying off :)

First of all I should mention that JDX is not a new entrant in the OR-Mapping space. JDX has been a pioneering OR-Mapping technology with its first commercial version released in early 1998. Simplicity with flexibility has been the core driving force in its development and evolution. Many of the innovative features of JDX have been patented. JDX may not have a lot of hype but it does have a lot of value that many organizations all over the world are enjoying.

Of course, OR-Mapping is a crowded field and I can understand the dilemma developers face in making a particular choice. There will be a large overlap between the feature sets of different products. Even if one can create a matrix of features vs products, which I am not volunteering to do, it would be very hard to quantify important things like flexibility, non-intrusiveness, robustness, and ease-of-use. Having a GUI may be very valuable for one set of developers but others may be happy with just the command line tools. Dealing with hundreds of metadata files in XML may not bother some folks but could be a nightmare for others. At the end of the day, a product with just 20 features but meeting 95% of your needs would perhaps be a better choice than a product with more than 100 features but meeting only 50% of your needs. Also, somewhere along, your budget comes into play.

By pointing to the JDX 4.0 feature set and the testimonials, my purpose was for you to know what JDX can do and let you decide if it meets your development needs. I hope this gives you enough comfort and courage to check JDX out. There is always room for improvement. Let’s know how we can make JDX better. We will appreciate your feedback.

Damodar Periwal
  7. Ummmm.[ Go to top ]

JDX is an enterprise class product that has proved itself in high-volume, high-performance applications. <<

So is Hibernate. An example of a (very) high-volume site that uses Hibernate is

http://ifilm.com

(ifilm.com is one of the top ten streaming media sites on the web)

>> Do you need to easily share, modify and comprehend mapping information within your team? <<

Absolutely. Do you have XDoclet support? XDoclet seems to be by far the best solution to THAT problem (for Java).

>> Do you have the luxury of processing or making changes to your classes to meet the requirements of using an O/R Mapping technology? How quickly your object-model is evolving and how easily the O/R mapping product can accommodate that? <<

No. And Yes. How would JDX help me there? (As compared to the other four tools mentioned.)

>> How easily and efficiently the product can work in conjunction with your application servers? <<

In the case of Hibernate and OJB: integration with things like JTA, JCA, JNDI, JMX.....

>> Are you dealing with an existing schema and do you need a convenient tool to reverse-engineer Java classes? <<

Both OJB and Hibernate have reverse engineering tools, if I'm not mistaken. And in future Middlegen will be the standard solution to this problem. There is already an experimental Hibernate plugin for Middlegen.

Perhaps I'm being a little unfair, but it did sound like you were implying that your product was somehow differentiated from the other four mentioned tools by the things you mentioned. And yet the things you mentioned are things that the free, opensource alternatives are very strong on.

Not trying to start flamewar....
  8. Ummmm.[ Go to top ]

Those were general comments. I was not trying to compare particular technologies. Please see my response to Kenny's message.

-- Damodar
  9. I'm curious why this product doesn't support JDO? It'd be great if it did, people familiar with JDO could easily try it out, and easily migrate if they prefer your product. But by not supporting JDO it's another proprietary product with vendor lock-in.

Michael
  10. We are following JDO developments closely and have it on our roadmap to offer a JDO compliant product once there is enough customer demand for it. In the meantime, if you are looking for an alternative which offers mapping flexibility, non-intrusiveness, a small set of easy to use APIs, and many other innovative features which are not available in JDO, check out JDX.

-- Damodar Periwal

Software Tree, Inc.
  11. Sounds like your goal is to get customers and then release a JDO API, but I think if you had a JDO API you'd have an easier time getting new customers. I'm glad you're investigating it. Good luck with it.

Michael
  12. JDX already has many customers who like its flexibility, non-intrusiveness, simple APIs and ease-of-use. I'm curious to know what you may be looking for in a new JDO product as a few JDO compliant products are already available in the market?

-- Damodar
  13. JDO[ Go to top ]

I'm using Kodo JDO for a project and am really happy with it. I love it in fact. I think JDO is so much better than entity beans. But if all the O/R mappers are proprietary, it will be hard for them to compete against the app servers using CMP. But if all the O/R mapping products support a JDO interface, it's a common bond that will help JDO gain the marketshare it deserves.

Michael
  14. JDX vs JDO vs CMP[ Go to top ]

I appreciate your love for JDO. Sounds like the main reason you would like all O/R mapping solutions to be JDO compliant is for JDO to win over CMP. Given the current state-of-the-art, we believe that neither CMP nor JDO is the silver bullet. Also, there are strong proprietary elements and extensions in the actual implementations of the JDO and CMP products.

Different application architectures and mapping needs require different solutions. With JDX, we are targeting those developers who do not like to be tied to rigid programming methodologies that bite too deep into their application architecture.

Thanks for your feedback though. I hope we have not totally lost you as a potential customer until we join forces with your favorite team. JDX may prove to be a better fit in your next project and earn some lost love.

-- Damodar

Software Tree, Inc.