Discussions

News: Eclipse 2.1 Released

1. Eclipse 2.1 Released (36 messages)

The long awaited Eclipse 2.1 has been released. They are many interesting or significant additions in the Eclipse 2.1 release including new refactoring actions, emacs key bindings, Hyper-linked Java code, Ant editor/view, quick fixes, Add Delegate Methods dialog, and much more.

Interesting Links:

Eclipse 2.1

New Features

Contributors of the EclipseUML, JNDI, C# or 263 other plugins have to upgrade there plugins now.

Also, I want to thank the Eclipse team.

Threaded Messages (36)

2. Eclipse 2.1 Released[ Go to top ]

The best editor I ever seem.
  3. Neat[ Go to top ]

Ahh, Eclipse is finally half the editor that IntelliJ is. Grats!
  4. Neat[ Go to top ]

So what can IntelliJ do that Eclipse can't?
  5. ...[ Go to top ]

Go to IntelliJ's website and see for yourself. Better yet, dowload an eval copy and try it.
  6. ...[ Go to top ]

No I don't want to download it because I know I will not buy it. But nevertheless, I'm curious about what else it can do.
  7. Profiler for eclipse[ Go to top ]

I am looking for a Profiler for Eclipse 2.0.2
  8. eclipse plugin[ Go to top ]

I am looking for a Profiler for Eclipse 2.0.2

Hope below link is of some help
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipsecolorer/

More eclipse plugin at
    http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/index.jsp
  9. Hello, on major huge thing - jsp support. Intellij has full servlet and jsp support, whereas eclipse has a little servlet support (with the Sysdeo plugin), and absolutely no decent jsp support.
  10. Eclipse Vs IDEA[ Go to top ]

Ahh, Eclipse is finally half the editor that IntelliJ is. Grats!

IDEA is a good IDE, indeed I've used both IDEA and Eclipse and I think you can split the differences into the following

Pro-IDEA
    * Brilliant Java editor, with good _built-in_ support for J2EE generation etc
    * Good refactoring support
    * Good JDK support
    * Pretty cheap for a commercial IDE, and the best one in the marketplace
    * Doesn't get hung up on GUI designers hogging all the memory

Con-IDEA
    * Difficult (if not near impossible) to use for other languages
    * Performance suffers with many active plugins
    * EAP's are not milestoned.

Pro-Eclipse
    * Fast GUI
    * Multi-language project support (I use Eclipse for Java, Ruby, Python and PHP)
    * Fairly stable pre-release milestones
    * Hundreds of plugins available to do things like web development (Appserver integration, JSP's, etc), databases, UML, GUI development etc.

Con-Eclipse
    * Not available for all platforms/GUI toolkits
    * SWT is less 'developer-friendly' than swing (explicit resource management,etc)

In my experience Eclipse has been rock-solid, and I've never felt that there was something missing in Eclipse that I was using in IDEA

Also Eclipse seems more plugin-centric - it's extension mechanism is fundamental to it's operation, whereas IDEA currently uses it as nice way of adding things in....

Calum
  11. questions[ Go to top ]

can anyone tell me if eclipse can

- shift f1 on a keyword / method and jump to javadocs
    - "collapse" comments (like those long gpl licence comments in oss
    - debug jsp's
    - color instance variables another color
    - insert live templates
    - show what { a } belongs to (even when its out of screen)
    - complete classnames (like ctrl + shift) in idea
    - map any command to a keybinding
    - have implement interface and override method functions

I looked over eclise a while back and apart from numerous refactorings and general non-intuitivity of the user interface this is what i missed most, there's probably a lot more, idea just anticipates your every need
    but eclipse seems to be catching up fast
  12. Re: questions[ Go to top ]

- shift f1 on a keyword / method and jump to javadocs

F1 gives you a list of hyperlinks for the element, including javadoc... configuring hovers is also supposed to allow you to do something, but I can't really see it changing anything :-)

- "collapse" comments (like those long gpl licence comments in oss

Nope.

- debug jsp's

There are plugins that allow debugging of the source to the compiled servlet, but I've not seen what you're after (at least, not for free!)

- color instance variables another color

Nope.

- insert live templates

What exactly do you mean by 'live'? Eclipse has templates that will try to fill the variable names using variables from the context and links the template variable(s) names so that changing one reference renames all... don't know if that is what you mean.

You mean the braces that scope the variable? Don't think so...

- complete classnames (like ctrl + shift) in idea

Pretty much everything autocompletes (classes, variables, methods) with ctrl-space. Is that what you meant?

- map any command to a keybinding

Yup.

- have implement interface and override method functions

Oh yes. Plus autogenerate deleage methods, getter/setters, try/catches. Plus pull up/push down/extract interface. Plus inline vars/extract consts, inline methods/extract methods...

/david
  13. RE: questions[ Go to top ]

> > - shift f1 on a keyword / method and jump to javadocs
    Yes, but it's Shift-F2. For JDK stuff, just works. For third party APIs, you have to just point Eclipse to where the JavaDoc is located.

> - "collapse" comments (like those long gpl licence comments in oss
    No.

> - debug jsp's
    Yes. Look at the Lomboz plugin (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lomboz)

> - color instance variables another color
    No. But if you want you can write a plugin to do it.

> - insert live templates

Yes.

> - show what { a } belongs to (even when its out of screen)

Yes. If it is off the screen, just double-click the { or } and it will highlight everything inbetween. If it is on the screen, then it hilights the matching brace.

> - complete classnames (like ctrl + shift) in idea
    Yes. CTRL-space does everything.

> - map any command to a keybinding
    Yes. Most commands.

> - have implement interface and override method functions
    Yes.
  14. RE: questions[ Go to top ]

>
    > Yes. If it is off the screen, just double-click the { or } and it will
    > highlight everything inbetween. If it is on the screen, then it hilights the
    > matching brace.

In Eclipse 2.1 there's better way. Just go just past the { or ( or [ and type SHIFT-CTRL-P. It will take you to the complimentary bracket. This feature is "documented" in the keybindings feature of Eclipse.
  15. help me,about Eclipse[ Go to top ]

In Eclipse,I have some trouble for help.
    1.when I uses 'Generating getters and setters ' to generate accessors for a field.
    For instance:

public class Test {
    private String userID;

/**
    * @param string
    */
    public void setTest(String string) {
    userID = string;
    }
    }

but,I want to get:

public class Test {
    private String userID;

/**
    * @param userID
    */
    public void setTest(String userID) {
    this.userID = userID;
    }
    }

How should I do? I don't want someone tell me "you must rework from one to one" :).

2.I am using pulgin "com.sysdeo.eclipse.tomcat" and "com.objectlearn.jdt.j2ee",but two question break me.
    a.For tomcat,when I create a new project with 'file->new->project->java->TomCat Project',it do nothing!!!
    b.For j2ee,when I edit a jsp's file,after I do '<% out.' ,he tell me 'Could not identify a j2ee project for this file.Make sure that it is in a web module'.

(I feel for jsp IDEA is better than Eclipse.???)

thanks.
  16. help me,about Eclipse[ Go to top ]

<hjl>
    1.when I uses 'Generating getters and setters ' to generate accessors for a field, I want to get:

this.userID = userID;
    </hjl>

Global search and replace? As an aside I wouldn't recommend the 'this' approach - too easy to forget and pick up the wrong variable, often without the compiler complaining. Prefixes, IMHO, on member fields, are more effective for differentiating them from locals.

<hjl>
     a.For tomcat,when I create a new project with 'file->new->project->java->TomCat Project',it do nothing!!!
    </hjl>

Think you'll find it adds a server.xml and build.xml (IIRC) file to your project.

<hjl>
    b.For j2ee,when I edit a jsp's file,after I do '<% out.' ,he tell me 'Could not identify a j2ee project for this file.Make sure that it is in a web module'.
    </hjl>

Think if you go to the ObjectLearn tutorial, about half way through there is the information on how to 'j2ee'ify an existing project. If you do that the problems you see should go away.

(Both these answers are off the top of my head - I apologise in advance if they are wrong in any detail.)

/david
  17. Eclipse Vs IDEA[ Go to top ]

Calum,

Thanks for the list. I would add this as an Eclipse user...

The plugin-centric nature of Eclipse is great. However, while there are literally hundreds of plugins out there, *few* are any good. I often go try out new plugins, and I am usually quite disappointed. I am still looking for integrated JSP development: taglib context/completion, code completion, inline error highlighting, *refactoring*! Either I have overlooked this plugin, or one that does all this does not exist.

I would also like to see better XML support as well. DTD-based tag completion/validation. Pretty printing. Highlighting. There are some XML plugins out there as well, but none of them are complete and most are a little clunky.

Eclipse is great and I use it everyday. I am looking forward to test driving 2.1 this week. But from my experience and what I read from the 2.1 feature list, it still has a ways to go before "eclipsing" IDEA.

Ryan
  18. xml plugin for eclipse[ Go to top ]

Have you tried XMLBuddy
    Some good features are:
    - user-configurable syntax coloring
    - DTD-driven code assist
    - validation and synchronized outline view
    - auto-generation of DTDs

----------
    Yuri
  19. Eclipse vs IDEA[ Go to top ]

I've used both IDEA and Eclipse. Eclipse's extensible plug-in architecture is really cool. However, for cranking code quickly and accurately, IDEA is still far ahead of the game. If you've used both IDE's and don't notice a big difference, there is likely several of IDEA's features you aren't using (or maybe just don't need).

Things like Ctl-J (inserting common sections of code), Alt-Insert (auto-generating constructor/mutator methods), and "auto-implementation" of Interfaces make IDEA *very* powerful. You've also gotta love Ctl-B ( and the lesser used Ctl-Alt-B )!!!!

My final assessment: Eclipse is the best *free* IDE; IDEA is the *best* IDE.

~harris
  20. Eclipse has a very powerful "quick fix" helper, which allows you to:
    - generate the implementation of an interface
    - generate missing import declarations
    - generate method skelethon from unknown method identifier
    - generate local variable/field/parameter from unknown variable identifier in method
    - generate "try/catch" sections or "throws" declarations
    - and others

Besides, right-clicking anywhere in a class allows you to generate getter/setter methods, override/implement methods, generate delegate methods, refactor, ...
    And you can associate any of those with a shortcut key

I must say that I am new to Eclipse, but I am completely amazed by its power and convenience :!)

---------
    Yuri
  21. Try the "quick fix" with Ctrl+1[ Go to top ]

Forgot to say that you activate the "quick fix" with Ctrl+1

------
    Yuri
  22. I've been using eclipse for a while and I really like it. I looked at Idea but I figured why pay if I get so much for free, even if I'm missing out on some things. Some of the keyboard shortcuts in idea sound really cool and I wish Eclipse had them. But eclipse does now have customizable key bindings, so many of the shortcuts could be duplicated from Idea (if the same feature itself is used). The thing I love about Eclipse is the speed. No Java editor I've ever used is as quick and that's because of SWT. I don't care about the Sun vs IBM controversy; I want a responsive editor that doesn't get bogged down when I'm working on a lot of stuff. I've found netbeans, Idea, and even Jbuilder to be a little slow for my tastes. I also like the cosmetic look of the ide; it fonts and sizes fit my particular tastes (they're certainly better than the ancient san serif fonts used by jbuilder, which can't be resized).

For xml, I've recently started using xml buddy and I like it A LOT. One nice feature is the outline view, which shows elements with their first attribute as an outline. Seeing that first attribute is key to being able to intelligently navigate an XML outline, especially when you use a lot of XML configuration files (which I do). Much better than that other xml plugin (xmen) that was really problematic.
  23. Yes all of the above.

See
    http://www.intellij.com/idea/features/features.jsp
    and look under "On-the-Fly Code Analysis:"
  24. I am using IntelliJ for a project which has huge number of files. around 10,000.

The same project in eclipse becomes unworkable because everytime I save a file in eclipse it starts compiling it and which takes a lot of time. Do anyone of you know how can I get around this.
    IntelliJ doesnt do this it only saves it.

To add to the IntelliJ feature list:
    everytime you switch your window it saves all the files. helps me a lot because I prefer running the build from command prompt.
  25. You can save only in eclispe as well

Windows --Preferences
    and uncheck the Performe build automatically on resource modification

Does IDEA have a lcoal history up to the method level, even deleted classes can be recoverd locally ...?
  26. Re: Does IDEA have a lcoal history[ Go to top ]

Does IDEA have a lcoal history up to the method level, even deleted classes can be recoverd locally ...?

yes it does and it has saved my day once ;-)

Edo
  27. Eclipse vs IDEA[ Go to top ]

> My final assessment: Eclipse is the best *free* IDE; IDEA is the *best* IDE.
    >

I really like Eclipse as the free, but I think WSAD 5 is the best IDE. WSAD is the IDE for Enterprise Development.
  28. Re: Eclipse Vs IDEA[ Go to top ]

I have used IDEA for a long time and now I'm in a mostly-Eclipse team.
    I switch between the two environments often - because I want to be familiar with Eclipse as well.

I found entertaining that most of the features that went into Eclipse 2.1 from 2.0 look like they have been IDEA-driven ;-)

When I am using Eclipse, ther are TONS of things I miss from IDEA and usually I have to turn back to it to do any hard work !!

# IDEA's Editor capabilities are way way ahead, including
    - coloring (also using bold and/or italics ad/or effects) of identifiers based on scope
    - type-driven code completion in addition to the basic one
    - more uniform (i'd say polymorphic) way of doing context-aware seraches for anything
    # much wider code formatting abilities. Eclipse refactorings are simply unusable if your code conventions don't adhere to its simple formatting rules (eg if you're forced to use FQN as I am, Eclipse is a pain).
    # *fully* configurable keymap
    # easier navigation (try "goto symbol" in the current EAP ...)
    # callers hierarchy easily available
    # the jad plugin workes better in IDEA

The things I miss about Eclipse when I'm using IDEA are:

# its VSS plugin, although the Intellij folks are working at a new one for thei product.
    # The hierarchy and structure views are overall nicer than the ones in IDEA.
    # Also, Eclipse allows you to debug multple processes more easily than IDEA (which can start 1 debugger per project, although one IDEA instance can have
    multiple projects open).

Well, my bottom line is :
    if you don't have the $400 for buying IDEA, then stick with the free Eclipse, but you'll get an huge ROI if you dare try.

Edo
  29. no, that wasn't enough ...[ Go to top ]

As I'm using Eclipse *right now* I'm missing other high-value IDEA editing features:

- goto implementation(s)
    - stack of clipboard items
    - good XML editing

Edo
  30. RE: no, that wasn't enough ...[ Go to top ]

> - goto implementation(s)

It's not perfect, but the best workaround to that is to right-click (on method)/Open Type Hierarachy and then click on 'Lock view and Show memebers in hierarchy' button in the hierarchy view. That will just show the method implementations.

> - stack of clipboard items

Oh yes - totally agree.

/david
  31. IDEA drawback[ Go to top ]

I'm evaluating IDEA now but have one major complaint:
    I can only view/edit one file at a time. I have a 2 monitor setup and am used to seeing multiple files at once.
    I don't think I can use IDEA until it get's this feature, past that it's easily the best editor i've ever used.
    I've used WSAD 4.0 for a year and it's by far the worst editor i've ever used (it would crash 5 times a day when I spit out alot of code).

I'll evaluate Eclipse 2.1, sounds promising.
  32. Eclipse / IntelliJ[ Go to top ]

Notice the new refactoring features in Eclipse Courtesy of IntelliJ.

But in any of the case the UI (SWT) of Eclipse Rocks !
  33. Mirrors Needed[ Go to top ]

Until Eclipse sets up its mirroring program, it will be nigh on impossible to download a copy. I've tried several times through different T1s. I'll plod along with RC3 I guess.

Any Eclipse people here want to let us know when server capacity is sufficient to actually download this thing? Better yet, could you let us know what the plan is? Thanks.
  34. Mirrors Needed[ Go to top ]

Hi Dan,

I totally agree with the need for eclipse download mirrors.

BTW, there is a 17 Meg stripped version for download (lower on the download page) that I was able get late Saturday night (that took about ~45 minutes).

Cheers,
    Frank
  35. One eclipse mirror[ Go to top ]

One Eclipse mirror is Available here
  36. Websphere Studio with eclipse 2.1?[ Go to top ]

Does anyone know when is Websphere Studio (WSAD) is going to ship with Eclipse 2.1?
  37. One Advantage to using Eclipse[ Go to top ]

JBoss is building their IDE as plugins to eclipse.
    I wish it had good JSP editing and code completion though.

tx

Matt