Discussions

News: State of Geneva Adopts J2EE

1. State of Geneva Adopts J2EE (6 messages)

The state of Geneva has adopted the J2EE platform to re-implement/streamline applications such as taxation, population management, etc. "We soon realized that it would be easiest to make our application development team productive if we standardized on the J2EE platform, so we chose J2EE application servers and EJB technology."

Yet another example of continued J2EE adoption. The news this time comes to us in the form of a Borland press release (their servers/consultants were part of the project):

The State of Geneva Accelerates Development with Borland Solutions for Java.

Threaded Messages (6)

2. "State of Geneva Adopts J2EE"[ Go to top ]

Our tax application, for example, uses only 20 percent to 25 percent of the resources of our four-processor Sun, even though its 150 users call on it almost 350,000 times per day, generating between 700,000 and 1 million SQL queries on our Oracle server.

That is 4 hits per second, unless I am wrong..

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  3. "State of Geneva Adopts J2EE"[ Go to top ]

350,000 Per Day
    * 3 Factor Of Safety
    = 1050,000 Load per day
    divide 8 Busy hours
    = 131,250 Per Hour
    divide 60 Per Min
    = 2,187.5 Max request per min
    divide 60
    = 36.45833333 Max request per sec

To be on safe side, I would calculate like above.

Parag
  4. "State of Geneva Adopts J2EE"[ Go to top ]

Well, you may not know this but Rolf decided on using .Net as his platform to support his load :-)
    (No offense, just kidding...)
  5. "State of Geneva Adopts J2EE"[ Go to top ]

That is 4 hits per second, unless I am wrong..

Well, with 4 processors, it's about 1 hit per second per processor. On average. Of course, they probably don't work 24 hours a day, so figure 3 hits per second per processor during business hours. On average. With peak times being 2-3 times as heavy (some businesses are more, some less) that means maybe 9 hits per second per processor.

So the net result is that they may be underutilizing the potential of the server by quite a substantial margin. OTOH, if the app works well and the server doesn't ever crash, then it's probably a bargin from the ROI perspective.

The real world never approaches 100% efficiency. Even in Australia.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  6. "State of Geneva Adopts J2EE"[ Go to top ]

<snip>
    So the net result is that they may be underutilizing the potential of the server by quite a substantial margin.
    </snip>
    It's mentioned in the article that they only utilize 20-25% of the resources on the sun box.
    I guess they are running the oracle database on the same box as the app server.
    Would that cause the processor do lot of I/O instead of processing the requests?

If it is like 3 requests per second per CPU then may be I can run the app server on a laptop and the database on another box and I may be certainly wrong without knowing the application.
  7. "State of Geneva Adopts J2EE"[ Go to top ]

Ok, could you tell me when is USA DoD going to migrate to .NET?