Discussions

News: Borland and Rational Bridging J2EE and .NET

1. Borland and Rational Bridging J2EE and .NET (3 messages)

Borland and Rational are both trying to position themselves as the Switzerland of enterprise software.

Borland is announcing life cycle tools that work with both Microsoft's .NET and J2EE. Code written to the J2EE or CORBA model can be taken in, and integrated into a .NET application.

Rational is also speaking out about its future after being bought by IBM.

Q: The J2EE market gained strength because multiple important companies supported a standard set of APIs. How can the market avoid fragmentation as these platform vendors seek to differentiate their products?

Mike Devlin (former CEO of Rational Software): One way to deal with that is model-driven development. We see people using XDE to target multiple application servers.

But there's no doubt that if you want to fully exploit the capabilities of any application server, the resulting application will run better on that application server.

Borland

Borland tools bridge .Net, J2EE:
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-997684.html

More information on what Borland is doing:
    http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/filters/specialreport/0,14622,6024675,00.html

Rational

Rational Straddles Java and .NET:
    http://www.fawcette.com/resources/interviews/devlin

Go to bat for one technology? or try to work with all technologies? What is the best way for these companies?
  2. "Borland and Rational are both trying to position themselves as the Switzerland of enterprise software. "

I try to be like Switzerland as a developer; straddle the fence between J2EE and MS technologies. So far the strategy has worked well.
  3. In Nashville Tennessee, most companies are MS shops. I've managed to stay in J2EE up until now; but recently, I wanted to take a .NET gig just to get it on the resume. The thing is that no one understands that .NET and Java are 95% identical. Most recruiters think that a VB6 guy with 2 months experience is better suited than a Java guy with a CS degree and 6 months of .NET studying on the side at home. At this point, I think the on solution is to make a .NET app to bring in on a CD; and even then, that is over optimiztic. Don't get me wrong, I love Java. However, I want to get some .NET on the resume before everyone and their brother has it so that I can fall back on it should Java get even less popular here.
  4. IBM does not have a history of "Switzerland" like offerings...

Only recently with the purchase of Rational can IBM make this assertion. Rational lost a significant respect from the development community when they married Microsoft. Rational tools supported Microsoft technology out of the box, but dropped support for other tool vendors. TogetherSoft and Mercury Interactive pick up and done well because of Rational's strategy.

Although, I'm glad IBM took Rational instead of Microsoft - imagine having PowerPoint integrated with Rational Rose, all those non-technical technical managers will start to think they can add value to software development.

IBM has done great work with the Alphaworks projects, everyone has benefited with this generous offerings.

Borland is the only true "Switzerland" tool provider. I'm currently a J2EE developer (guess what IDE I'm using), but been developing with Delphi since version 1. Tell me what developing tool/language today supports Windows, Linux, Web technology, Web Services and soon .NET with the same Object Oriented technology base of 7 years ago? So, while I was developing J2EE applications, Borland was working hard to leverage my Delphi skills and experience by making me a Linux and .NET developer overnight.

Thank you Borland...