HP offers WebLogic on OpenVMS, NonStop servers

Discussions

News: HP offers WebLogic on OpenVMS, NonStop servers

1. HP has extended its alliance with BEA by offering BEA's WebLogic Server on HP AlphaServer products running OpenVMS and its fault-tolerant NonStop servers. Since killing off its own family of middleware products last year, HP has been promoting WebLogic Server as the Java application server of choice.

Related articles:
    HP offers WebLogic on OpenVMS, NonStop servers
    BEA Looks to HP to Fight IBM.

Threaded Messages (15)

2. BEA and HP Collaboration[ Go to top ]

BEA and HP are collaborating on many fronts. WebLogic runs or will soon run on all of the HP platforms.

BEA and HP are also doing some interesting performance work. Check out the SPECjAppServer2002 scores. IBM and Oracle have been awfully quite since these numbers were posted. As a matter of fact, Oracle just posted a new SPECjAppServer2001 number. EJB 1.1???

http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2002/results/jAppServer2002.html

BEA and HP are teaming on the software side, with OpenView and other products, as well as Services, so you can get BEA expertise from HP.

Also of interest, BEA, HP and Intel are triangulating on IA 32 and IA 64 platforms. Take a look at the Itanium/HP-UX/WebLogic configuration. Its the first 64 bit Intel stack benchmarked so far.

JRockit, BEA's JVM, is being tuned extensively for IA64 Linux and Windows, so stay tuned...

Eric
    BEA Systems
  3. BEA on the TANDEM platform[ Go to top ]

Could you give any reference to the BEA on TANDEM implementations?

Thanks a lot,
    Alex Spokoiny
    IDF
  4. Support for Mac?[ Go to top ]

Hi,

any plan for support for Mac OS X? (That supports J2SE 1.4.1)
  5. Re: EJB 1.1[ Go to top ]

As a matter of fact, Oracle just posted a new SPECjAppServer2001 number.

> EJB 1.1???

Eric,

That's so typical a BEA remark. I remember Tyler Jewell in an earlier thread recommending that their customers move to a [then] yet to be certified J2EE 1.3 compliant product - which was also in its beta. When I questioned the wisdom of such a recommendation - especially for production systems, I did not receive a response.

Contrary to popular belief, customers do not always jump to the latest greatest version of a spec or a product on a whim. Non-trivial projects have taken years & months of development and EJB 1.1 is in use and is likely to continue to be in use at least in a maintenance mode.

And I do not think you (BEA) released any performance figures on versions 5.x and 6.x of your product - which I believe says a lot - unless of course you're now going to argue that no one uses/used 5.x and 6.x versions of WLS in production :)

-krish
  6. Re: EJB 1.1[ Go to top ]

I agree with the earlier response to this.

Let the product vendors stop promoting the products
    before it is proven in the production environment.

It is not a very good news to me because I would not
    want the app server to be performing better on one
    hardware platform than the other. This does not follow
    the theme of OPEN systems that well.

- Madhu
  7. Re: EJB 1.1[ Go to top ]

I agree with Eric's comment (no, I don't work for BEA). EJB 1.1
    is pretty much outdated and unless you're an Oracle fan (Krish
    and Madhu, and maybe a dozen others) I don't see why you would
    be upset :-)

Oracle is all noise and no substance. I remember their comments
    a few years ago that they were going to rule the world in CRM,
    app servers and databases. Last I heard was that they're nowhere
    close to this with IBM having recently vaulted to the #1 db spot.
  8. Re: EJB 1.1[ Go to top ]

Andy,

I work for Borland - and yes, Borland Enterprise Server is J2EE 1.3 compliant.

My remarks were directed at Eric's almost incredulous "EJB 1.1 ???" statement. I have nothing to say to your 'outdated' remark; having been to numerous customers using J2EE. I'd probably agree with you if:

- Customers were using a non-beta, J2EE 1.3 compliant version of an AppServer.
     - The development started off after the 1.3 spec was finalized and AppServers
       matured enough to support that version.
     - There was no (significant) J2EE development effort until 1.3 came along.

If you take a look at the ratios of the number of projects in production using EJB 1.1 to those using EJB 2.0, I think you'd be surprised at the result :)

-krish
    Borland
  9. Re: EJB 1.1[ Go to top ]

If you take a look at the ratios of the number of projects in production using EJB 1.1 to those using EJB 2.0, I think you'd be surprised at the result :)

>
    > -krish
    > Borland

Krish,
    You make a good point. I agree that there are still far more EJB 1.1 applications in production then EJB 2.0. These applications are likely to stay EJB 1.1 for quite while as it would be hard to cost justify a rewrite.
    For development of new applications however, it is a different story.
    Tom
  10. Nothing Wrong with EJB 1.1[ Go to top ]

I see I touched a nerve. By no means did I mean to imply that no one is still using EJB 1.1. Not at all. I was simply pointing out that the current benchmark was not being used by them. Oracle is pretty aggressive with benchmarks, so I thought it was peculiar.

But, since I'm at it, don't forget to look how many CPUs it took to push that number...

Eric
    BEA Systems
  11. 9000000000- noise ?[ Go to top ]

Andy,

Still having hard feelings towards Oracle ? I would not call having more than 200000 database cutsomers and making 9-10bln per year only noise and no substance. It's true that their marketing is noisy but so is BEA's, IBM's and MS's.

Regards,
    Alex ( no , I don't work for Oracle )
  12. Benefits of VMS[ Go to top ]

What are benefits of VMS over other operating systems like Unix or NT? In what case should a company decide to use VMS?

Radek
  13. It's been awhile since I worked on a VMS system, but the flagship feature of VMS is it's clustering that is implemented, in part, using the Distributed Lock Manager. Reliable failover, continuous uptime, and node transparency are a fact on VMS, not a hope, and have been for over 20 years. We always hear about distributed caches, replication, redundancy, etc. with every new product that comes to market. VMS has had those features for 2 decades. VMS also had the concept of Resources and ACL's in the distant past, so security is something that VMS had build in, from the beginning.

Unfortunately, OpenVMS didn't become 'open' until way too late. It used to be very expensive and very proprietary. Not sure, these days. Finding VMS experts is probably not that easy anymore. I read the VMS 4.4 and 5.0 Internals books back in the late '80's, so I'm probably a bit rusty.

I think a lot banks still use it because of it's reliability, security, and support. I've heard it said that a VMS system has never been hacked. I find that hard to believe, but it must be difficult to hack, or such statements would not be made.

I'm excited about WLS on VMS. As a current BEA employee and ex-DECcie, I love seeing our app server working on such a reliable and elegant OS.

I would like to hear a reply on this from someone who has more current VMS knowledge.

Bill Kemp
    BEA Systems, Inc.
  14. See this recent article by "Shannon knows".

Running clusterable software on VMS is kind of funny though. It's like putting an airbag in an army tank.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  15. My favorite VMS experience[ Go to top ]

It's like putting an airbag in an army tank.

Indestructable, it is. While developing and supporting a five 9's network managment app for a major telecom firm in the early 90's(way before they had a $30B accounting scandal), we needed to upgrade VMS in the production environment from 5.2 to 5.5, if I remember the versions correctly. Before beginning the upgrade, one of the operators at the production site asked me how long the system had been up. Doing a 'show sys' revealed that the box had been up and running for 377 days. He then asked me what had happened 377 days ago. That was when we upgraded from 4.4 to 5.2.

Truly mission critical and a pleasure to develop on. And, when you called support with a problem, the number one response wasn't, 'Reboot, and try it again'. I'm not surprised it continues to be profitable. Premiums may be earned by things so reliable.

Bill Kemp
    BEA Systems
  16. My favorite VMS experience[ Go to top ]

Bill: Premiums may be earned by things so reliable.

Yes, I'm banking on that ;-).

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!