Discussions

News: DigiSlice announces freely available AppComposer 3

1. AppComposer 3 (formally WebGain Application Composer) has been released for free by DigiSlice, a company that purchased it from WebGain in late 2002. AppComposer can be used to assemble Java applications using re-usable compenents and services and is compatible with all J2EE compliant appservers and JDBC compliant databases.

AppComposer can be downloaded at http://www.appcomposer.org.
    Note: Free registration required to get a license key.

Press Release
    --------------
    DigiSlice Releases Free Tool for Rapid Java Application Assembly

PORTLAND, Ore., July 1 /PRNewswire/ — DigiSlice Corporation announces AppComposer 3, a visual development environment for assembling Java applications. AppComposer can quickly integrate components into full applications, including Web applications. AppComposer includes a complete suite of component development and integration features, including a visual component editor, integrated web server, servlet engine, debugger, scripting facility, and relational database.

AppComposer developers can create and customize applications faster, cheaper, and better. Live editing enables real-time testing and feedback, eliminating the separate edit-compile-deploy-run steps of traditional IDEs.
    AppComposer runs all popular platforms, including Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Solaris, and applications created with AppComposer can be deployed to any standard Java environment, including IBMs WebSphere, BEAs WebLogic, JBoss, and Tomcat.

Applications constructed of reusable components promote simplicity, security, and scalability. AppComposer solves application assembly and integration problems and delivers on the promise of reusable components and services. Now all developers and businesses can take advantage of component-
    based development. "This advanced technology was previously available only to large enterprises," said Dr. Wm. Leler, DigiSlice’s CTO. "To demonstrate our dedication to component-based software, we are making AppComposer available to a much larger audience, at no cost."

Right out of the box AppComposer accelerates the development of all Java applications.

Developers can assemble and deploy complex Web applications an order of magnitude faster than with other technologies, without learning the intricacies of Java programming. AppComposer allows users with minimal Java and enterprise application experience to create and customize complex
    applications.

In addition DigiSlice offers an Enterprise Plug-in Suite to enhance AppComposer with support for Web Services and EJBs, including EJB development.

For more information about AppComposer visit the DigiSlice web site at http://www.digislice.com

Download a free copy of AppComposer now at http://www.appcomposer.org

About DigiSlice Corporation
    DigiSlice, based in Portland, Oregon, develops component-based technology and solutions. Find out more at http://www.digislice.com.

DigiSlice, DigiSlice AppComposer, AppComposer, and Application Composer are trademarks of DigiSlice Corporation. All other trade names and trademarks
    used herein are the property of their respective owners.

Threaded Messages (11)

2. I wantede to test your program
    but it refuse the key I was send
  3. The key is encrypted using the email address you used to register, make sure they are the same and copy the key exactly as emailed to you. If you still have problems, please email info at digislice dot com to let us generate a new key for you.
  4. so whats the deal anyway?[ Go to top ]

Hey Derek, so whats the story with digislice and appcomposer? Are you guys actively developing it? Or are you just handling webgain support contracts and doing basic maintenance? What's your vision for the future of appcomposer?

Floyd
  5. Yes, we are developing it[ Go to top ]

We are very actively developing AppComposer. We purchased the software back from WebGain (we originally sold it to them when we were Zat) and have ported it to Linux, Solaris and Mac OS X along with Windows updates. We have replaced the database, updated JBoss and added support for Web Services in the Enterprise Plugin. We decided to give it away for free to encourage application assembly with re-usable components in the Java world, similar to what Visual Basic programmers have been able to do with COM and DCOM objects. We will sell support and training and of course the Enterprise Suite Plugin, which will give support for Web Services and EJB's.

See our website for more details coming shortly, especially the discussion forums.

I hope I answered your questions and enjoy your copy of AppComposer.
  6. the deal[ Go to top ]

whats the story with digislice and appcomposer?

Hi, I'm Wm Leler. I was the founder of Zat, that originally developed AppComposer (called Spin back then!) and I am now the CTO of DigiSlice. As Derek mentioned, we are definitely continuing to develop it. Many of the original developers are working for us.

It was always our goal to come out with a free tool for application assembly from components. When we got purchased by WebGain, they steered the product in a different direction, but I'm happy to say that we are back on track, and making AppComposer an even better development environment than when it won "Programming Tool of the Year" back in 1999.

> What's your vision for the future of appcomposer?
    We have big plans for AppComposer. I was very gratified to see Rich Green's talk at JavaOne, where he talked about the big push to take Java to a larger audience of developers. Sun announced Project Rave, which is taking Java into the Visual Basic audience. But Rich talked about an even bigger market, which he called "Integrators" -- People who want to assemble large, complex applications without doing much (traditional) programming. AppComposer is aimed directly at this market.

I don't want this to sound too much like a marketing spiel, so I'll stop now. But we'd be happy to answer any other questions. As Derek says, we have started a forum at appcomposer.org for discussions.
  7. Caveat Emptor![ Go to top ]

Here's a quote from the license.txt file included in the "free" version that I just finished downloading:

- Included with this distribution are several software components that are not free, currently, but not limited to in the future, the SQL components (JavaBeans for accessing databases). These components are the Licensed Components. You may use the Licensed Components for development purposes only. If you want to distribute any software application that contains or uses any Licensed Components, then you must license the components from DigiSlice. Contact DigiSlice for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

In my view, this is cripple-ware.
  8. NOT cripple-ware[ Go to top ]

Please allow me to respond. AppComposer is an environment for assembling components. You can use components from anywhere as you see fit. I (and others) have written database applications without using our SQL components, so you don't have to use them and AppComposer is NOT crippled without them. Saying AppComposer is cripple-ware is like saying some free Java compiler is cripple-ware because it is possible to use a non-free software library with it.

If you don't know any SQL, the SQL components make it easier to access a database (they generate SQL automatically; something like PowerBuilder), but they are definitely NOT required. Because AppComposer allows you to script in Java, you can access anything that Java can access. That means that you can just access JDBC directly. It is pretty easy. Again, the SQL components make it even easier, but that's the whole point of components.

You are also welcome to use components from any other vendor (free or not), and you are encouraged to develop your own components. And even sell them. We would love to see an active marketplace develop for Java components (why should VB programmers have all the fun?), which is one reason we set up the forums on appcomposer.com. If you develop a component and want to sell it, please use the forums to tell other AppComposer users about it. And we want to bundle other licensed components with AppComposer as well, and not just ones that we write. I would love for someone to write a better database component, even if they give it away. One reason we put a price on the SQL components is to encourage other people to develop (and sell) their own components, and we put a pretty low price on them if you ask me.

AppComposer is not some simple minded tool for creating database-driven Web apps. You can drop just about any component into it and use it for whatever you want. AppComposer is distinct from the components you use with it. We are sorry if there is any confusion, since we bundled about 100 common components with it (all free except for the SQL components).

In fact, one of our engineers has just said that he will write a short tutorial on how to write your own simple database component. Look for it in the next few days in the forums on the appcomposer.org site. You can use the resulting component instead of the licensed SQL components. Absolutely free. OK?
  9. NOT cripple-ware[ Go to top ]

Wm,
      Thank you for your kind response. Guess I'm gun-shy after so many systems that are offered "for free" but turn out to have heavy restrictions on their use. Your approach sounds even-handed and makes sense. I'll give your product a try.
  10. Free database component[ Go to top ]

We've written a free component to access databases. We're all taking a look at it to make sure there are no bugs, but meanwhile you are welcome to download a copy (in source form) at http://www.appcomposer.org/~howard/other/SqlQuery.java (this link will probably go away in the future, when we release this). We'll likely include the bean with the next release of AppComposer as well. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

We will definitely continue to develop and give away beans, but I want to inject some reality -- we will also be developing components for sale. And we encourage other people to develop components, too.

I'm sitting in a session of OSCON (the Open Source Convention) and there is a lot of discussion of how you fund software you give away for free. We believe that component-based software presents a unique new solution to this problem. Currently, open source is somewhat limited to complete applications. But now, if people have developed some funtionality that is valuable, they can now either sell it as a component, or even give it away and make consulting income about it.

--wm
  11. Free database component[ Go to top ]

Just wanted to follow up on this. We will be including a free database component with the next release of AppComposer, and we will stop distributing the SQL beans (the ones that are not free) with the free version. Instead, if you want to use the SQL beans, you will need to download them separately. They will still be included with the Enterprise Suite. This should clear up any confusion about AppComposer being crippleware (I hope!).

We are also updating our Web services facilities to bring it up to date, and add new features. If someone has an opinion about things they would like to see added, please let us know (this only affects the Enterprise version of AppComposer, not the free version).
  12. New release of AppComposer[ Go to top ]

We are uploading the new release of AppComposer, which includes many bug fixes and updates, including a free SQL component. You can download your free copy at http://www.appcomposer.org