Discussions

News: Oracle To Update App Server For Grid Computing

1. Oracle To Update App Server For Grid Computing (11 messages)

Oracle is getting ready to rollout the 10g line. Oracle will add application management and monitoring tools and to 10g version of the application server. It will also unify data integration, EAI and B2B integration functionality.

Oracle plans to release information on the upcoming 10g database and application server release at the upcoming OracleWorld in San Francisco.

Read about Oracle 10g at:
    Oracle To Update App Server For Grid Computing

Oracle Application Server Hits the Grid

Oracle increases 'grid' commitment

So the 'g' in 10g means grid? :)

Threaded Messages (11)

2. Is "Grid computing" a new cliche for clustering/load balancing etc? Can anyone explain/define what a "Grid" is?
  3. To answer your question, I think this article gives some high level differences:

http://www.cpuplanet.com/features/article.php/30231_2245491_2

<snapshot>
    Cluster vs. Grid

both involve multiple systems working together to carry out a similar set of functions -- but there are differences. You can think of a cluster as grid computing under one roof: One company or department sets up a cluster and controls the whole, usually localized or centralized, system.

Grid computing is more far-reaching; individual systems can be added or subtracted without a central control. What's more, miles can separate grid participants as long as there's a network connection between them.
    </snapshot>

Enjoy.
  4. Oracle Grid[ Go to top ]

I don't think thats what Oracle means here, Oracle RAC DB won't perform well unless all boxes are attached to a SAN/multi tailed DASD and are connected with a high speed network. I haven't seen what they are up to in the app server world so that may be different. The DB effort seems to be a way of respinning RAC in a 'grid' context to make it buzzword compliant, i.e. multiple databases running on a cluster of 2/4 way Oracle RAC machines + SAN based storage and thats fine as far as it goes.

Billy
    (IBM, my opinions, not my employers)
  5. What is Grid?[ Go to top ]

Grid is coordination of resource (CPU, Memory, Storage, Disk space, Database etc.) sharing and problem solving in dynamic, multi-institutional environment.

there is very good webcast over at
    http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/ITWSITEUC_WCI_WC/1/10000292/

to learn IBM's take on Grid, visit http://www-1.ibm.com/grid/# and click on the flash demo on the right.

to learn about the current solutions and usages, read the article at http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=30686,00.asp

-talip
  6. Does this mean that they might actually fix some of the bugs too? Or are they just hoping that they'll go away?

Ora 9iAS in it's ultimate guise is the only J2EE environment that I know of that depends on perl... that says it all...
  7. "Ora 9iAS in it's ultimate guise is the only J2EE environment that I know of that depends on perl... that says it all..."

What on earth are you talking about? Please explain this, as I believe it to be a duff statement
  8. Oracle9iAS and UFO[ Go to top ]

"Ora 9iAS in it's ultimate guise is the only J2EE environment that I know of that depends on perl... "

What is the next?. Was Oracle9iAS involved in the Rosswell events?.

Oracle9iAS does not depend on Perl and Oracle9iAS Java Edition does not depend on any other language than Java.

IMHO, Oracle9iAS is just another J2EE application server. No much better or worse than others, but getting better with each version.
  9. Oracle9iAS and UFO[ Go to top ]

"IMHO, Oracle9iAS is just another J2EE application server. No much better or worse than others, but getting better with each version."

Have you used Weblogic or Borland Enterprise Server (BES)? I don't think so, because you would never claim Oracle9iAS to be the same. Perhaps, the Un-Oracleized version, OC4J 9.04 (Orion) may be useful in some situations.

I've been using EJB 2.0 for over 1 year now with Weblogic and BES, how long has Oracle9iAS Enterprise Edition, which cost $20k, been EJB 2.0 compliant?

Can you tell me what's the "actual" Oracle9iAS release is? Oracle&#8217;s website still claims Oracle9iAS 9.02 is only EJB 1.1. I did use Oracle9iAS 9.02 about 6 months ago and it still sends chills down my spine thinking about the horrible experience I had.

I know OC4J 9.04 (Orion) release is EJB 2.0...

Just go and look at Oracle's website and try to figure out what's going on.

Do I sound bitter? Yes, because Oracle is using misleading information on what their J2EE implementation provides. This causes problems when Non-technical technical managers decide to use Oracle9iAS as their J2EE standard based on Oracle database laurels.
  10. 9ias, BES, WebLogic[ Go to top ]

You are right, George. I have not worked with BES or WebLogic but I have worked with Oracle 9iAS. I did not have the negative experiences you had. I am sure you are telling the true, but I am also pretty sure that everybody could share positive and negative experiences on any application server. I simply can not understand some kind of "Application Server hooligans" that ensure things as false as Oracle9iAS depends on Perl.

AFAIK, Oracle released the production version of 9iAS 903 (their J2EE 1.3 compliant AS) one year ago.

I agree that 9.0.2 version was quite immature. I would recommend you Oracle9iAS Java Edition. It is much easier to configure and it is completely independent of the database. I am sure this could change your mind.

Un saludo,

Luis
  11. 9ias, BES, WebLogic[ Go to top ]

I simply can not understand some kind of "Application Server hooligans" that >ensure things as false as Oracle9iAS depends on Perl.

I guess this is refering to the Enterprise Manager Website part of iAS which is using Perl to manipulate the bunch of properties, XML descriptors and Apache stuff. My current experience with iAS/OC4J: Yes it's getting better but its another example of how kludgy/desintegrated a system could be ;-).
  12. Can you tell me what's the "actual" Oracle9iAS release is? Oracle&#8217;s >website still claims Oracle9iAS 9.02 is only EJB 1.1. I did use Oracle9iAS >9.02 about 6 months ago and it still sends chills down my spine thinking >about the horrible experience I had.

It seems that you are using very old versions. :-) Oracle managed it with 9.0.3 and the next version 10G to be in the top 3 - and every version it gets better and better.

You better compare facts than yesterdays news.