Discussions

News: Opinion: Getting to know WebLogic

1. Opinion: Getting to know WebLogic (6 messages)

Merrick has a blog entry on his recent work, porting a J2EE application from JBoss to WebLogic. Management was deciding what to use, and Merrick just jumped in to get some real work done, and chose JBoss for this. When the powers that be decided on WebLogic he managed the port in a day. He discusses his impressions of WLS, and other servers.

Read: Getting to Know WebLogic

Editors note

We run a variety of application servers in our TSS cluster. We have been fairly happy with the portability, and performance of each of them.

If anyone has some in depth reviews from a developers perspective, please put them up in the Reviews section of the site, and you will have a good chance of winning some money :)

Threaded Messages (6)

2. TSS JBoss cluster?[ Go to top ]

I know TSS running on Weblogic 7, Oracle 9iAS, Sun ONE Application Server 7 and Novell exteNd.

Are there any plans to add JBoss cluster. When it's free, what is stopping TSS from adding a JBoss cluster?

-----------------------------------------
    http://JavaRSS.com
    Just one bookmark - for all java related news, articles and blogs.
    -----------------------------------------
  3. No plans to add JBoss...[ Go to top ]

Hi Jay -

We would enjoy having JBoss as part of the cluster. There are several reasons that we haven't to date. The different vendors sponsor the site through the cluster effort. There are costs associated with running another cluster (porting, and more importantly running the site on another box, another platform).

It wouldn't be fair to the other vendors to just start running JBoss in their for fun.

I do not think it would take a huge effort to port over the TSS code to work on JBoss however... in fact it would be fairly trivial.

So, no plans yet...

Cheers,

Dion
  4. Not without hicups[ Go to top ]

Hi

I did a similar porting from Jboss to weblogic 81 SP1 recently, but it was not without the hicups.
    We were following the Ant way of build-deploy-test process and this was the area where a small no of problems were encountered, specially in generation of deployment descriptors.
    The Ant way does solve a lot of problems for your developers, (infact hiding everything for those who dondot know anything about it).

The documentation at dev2dev is OK, yes easy to navigate but more difficult to reach the right description of the required link. Probably not easy to use in first go, unless you become accustomed to it. The help from newsgroups was excellent.

cheers
    jaz
  5. Not without hicups[ Go to top ]

J2EE is designed well. Applications are really portable among servers. But the edges are rough: deployment and management are different among servers. Hope this issue will be solved when venders move to J2EE 1.4 (with management and deployment). At least J2EE tools can help.

Wei Jiang
    Perfecting J2EE!
  6. performance increase with WLS[ Go to top ]

Hi,

interessting story - i am currently involved (as architect) in an jboss development project for more than 14 months now. The project before that I used jboss 2.4.x - but that was kind of a "toy project" concerning performance demands - so no problems at all.
    In my current project performance plays a much greater role - but cmp performance is a difficult field ;p. Up to (including) version 3.2.1 read performance in jboss was awfull due to a bug in the ReadAheadCache implementation (now fixed in 3.2.2 RC).
    But appart from that - we have usecases with some large transactions, where it happens that we have to load approx 10000 entities. Although using Commit-option A (inter tx caching) and all the entities are in the cache it takes more time to fetch 10000 value-objects from entity-beans in cache than to do a direct jdbc access to the db and fetch the value-objects from the resultsets :(
    A lot of time is consumed by the jboss interceptor stack ... says OptimizeIt.
    Now I am really interessted how WLS 8.1 performs - downloaded an evaluation version yesterday and will do some tests the next weeks..

What really convinces me for WLS:
    - Support for BatchUpdates/Inserts/Deletes. Currently i am doing things like that per direct jdbc - and then use the possibility to invalidate entity caches in jboss per jmx

- Support for finegrained isolation level settings: jboss only supports isolation level setting per Datasource - WLS per sessionbean-method - exactly what I need. Today I also do this per jdbc in jboss, but since 3.2.2RC this isn't allowed anymore - so you have to patch some code :(

- Cluster-Reading for object graphs (entities with cmr)

I haven't tried these features - but they look promising
    So I think 20 percent performance increase is a very low mark - I'll see

Cheers,

Manuel
  7. performance increase with WLS[ Go to top ]

Hi,

>
    > interessting story - i am currently involved (as architect) in an jboss development project for more than 14 months now. The project before that I used jboss 2.4.x - but that was kind of a "toy project" concerning performance demands - so no problems at all.
    > In my current project performance plays a much greater role - but cmp performance is a difficult field ;p. Up to (including) version 3.2.1 read performance in jboss was awfull due to a bug in the ReadAheadCache implementation (now fixed in 3.2.2 RC).
    > But appart from that - we have usecases with some large transactions, where it happens that we have to load approx 10000 entities. Although using Commit-option A (inter tx caching) and all the entities are in the cache it takes more time to fetch 10000 value-objects from entity-beans in cache than to do a direct jdbc access to the db and fetch the value-objects from the resultsets :(
    > A lot of time is consumed by the jboss interceptor stack ... says OptimizeIt.
    > Now I am really interessted how WLS 8.1 performs - downloaded an evaluation version yesterday and will do some tests the next weeks..
    >
    > What really convinces me for WLS:
    > - Support for BatchUpdates/Inserts/Deletes. Currently i am doing things like that per direct jdbc - and then use the possibility to invalidate entity caches in jboss per jmx
    >
    > - Support for finegrained isolation level settings: jboss only supports isolation level setting per Datasource - WLS per sessionbean-method - exactly what I need. Today I also do this per jdbc in jboss, but since 3.2.2RC this isn't allowed anymore - so you have to patch some code :(
    >
    > - Cluster-Reading for object graphs (entities with cmr)
    >
    > I haven't tried these features - but they look promising
    > So I think 20 percent performance increase is a very low mark - I'll see
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Manuel

Manuel, we have done a lot of performance enhancements in 3.2.2RC4 and 3.2.2 final within the CMP engine. We are planning a bunch more in the 3.2.3 release. Can you email me offline? bill at jboss dot org I'd like to discuss performance a bit.

Bill