IBM Releases J2EE Code Validation Tool

Discussions

News: IBM Releases J2EE Code Validation Tool

1. IBM Releases J2EE Code Validation Tool (11 messages)

IBM has released a tool that lets developers inspect code for a range of problems--during the development process and once an application is already implemented. The tool, called J2EE Code Validator, can analyze code and detect common errors in Java applications. J2EE Code Validator can verify that a program conforms to a set of predefined patterns and/or rules.

J2EE Code Validation does not replace traditional code analysis tools. It augments them by conducting deep, static analyses of applications and by constructing all possible paths and all possible object manipulations. This type of analysis is more thorough and is capable of looking at a different set of problems. For example, using data flow analysis, J2EE Code Validation can find many common cases of race conditions which source scanning tools cannot.

The tool is released as a Technology Preview, and unfortunately requires WebSphere Studio Application Developer.

View the J2EE Code Validator

Threaded Messages (11)

2. Requires WSAD 5.1[ Go to top ]

All,

Also, it seems to require WSAD 5.1, not the patched 5.0->5.0.1x version....from my experience, anyway...5.01 won't install it. I believe that they're charging WSAD customers for the upgrade; I could be wrong, but check it out further if you have 5.0x...cheers.
  3. IBM Releases J2EE Code Validation Tool[ Go to top ]

IBM has released a tool that lets developers inspect code for a range of problems--during the development process and once an application is already implemented. The tool, called J2EE Code Validator, can analyze code and detect common errors in Java applications. J2EE Code Validator can verify that a program conforms to a set of predefined patterns and/or rules.

>

I hope they implement a tool called "J2EE Application Server Code Validator" next, and run it against the development tree of WAS 4 and 5.

Br - J
  4. I doesn't work with Eclipse 2.1. I wish they provide support in next release.
  5. Eclipse - J2EE Code Validation Tool[ Go to top ]

Since WSAD is built on Eclipse, will "J2EE Code Validation Tool" work with Eclipse, if not, are they any future plans to integerate it with Eclipse and extend support for other IDEs.

-----------------------------------------
    http://JavaRSS.com
    Just one bookmark - for all java news, articles and blogs.
    -----------------------------------------
  6. Windows Only :([ Go to top ]

No Linux
  7. WSAD 5.1 + Linux[ Go to top ]

Are you using WSAD 5.x on linux ??? im trying to use it but its work terrible bad !!! it close itself without any reason. If IBM plans are to run linux everywhere they can start to test their own products !!!
  8. WSAD 5.1 + Linux[ Go to top ]

I have been using WSAD on RedHat 9.0 and havent had any problem at all with it closing unexpectedly. The performance of the application as far as startup, compilation, and shutdown all seem to be on par with an equivalent Windows install. Just my 2 cents.
  9. WSAD 5.1 + Linux[ Go to top ]

what version of wsad ??? are you using kde or gnome ??? gtk binding o motif ???

Im using wsad 5.1 on redhat9 (yes i know .. its not a supported platform) gnome and gtk binding and i works really bad !!!. I had been working with the same version of wsad on windows and it works ok (some minor problems)

Ignacio
  10. This tool doesn't help much. In fact, many of WSAD validation tools just make the compilation process slower.

Also, WSAD can't validate my deployment XML files, because I'm behind a firewall and WSAD 5.1 or 5.0 doesn't work fine with it.

On the other side, WSAD has nice features like Visual Editor for Swing, Struts editors, Wizards, EJBs, Database modeling, etc.
  11. IBM WSAD behind firewall[ Go to top ]

Also, WSAD can't validate my deployment XML files, because I'm behind a

> firewall and WSAD 5.1 or 5.0 doesn't work fine with it.

Did you try to let WSAD use a local copy instead for the DTDs by modifying "Window > Prefences > XML > XML Catalog"?
  12. Check it out[ Go to top ]

Similar tool, has command line interface, integrates with build processes.
    Check it out.
    http://www.tcs.com/0_products/assent/index.htm