Sun, Plumtree, Documentum and BEA Create Open Portlet Site

Discussions

News: Sun, Plumtree, Documentum and BEA Create Open Portlet Site

1. Sun Microsystems, Plumtree Software, Documentum and BEA Systems have joined forces to create an open-source site for JSR 168 and WSRP (Web Services for Remote Portlets) Portlets. The vendors will provide an initial library of standards-based portlets, and will provide ongoing feedback, suggestions and best practices for successful JSR 168 and WSRP portlet development.

The site is open to all organizations, including customers and partners of competing portal software providers such as IBM, Vignette and SAP. Both the JCP and OASIS, the standard bodies that developed JSR 168 and WSRP respectively, today expressed support for the open-source site, known as the Portlet Open-Source Trading site, or POST. The site will help companies learn from their industry peers and share best practices for developing standards-based portlets.

Separate areas within POST exist for sharing JSR 168 and WSRP components. As with any open-source site on SourceForge.net, any registered organization can contribute portlets to POST, which become available to all other members of the open-source community. Thus, organizations that submit portlets to the site benefit from enhancements to their portlets developed by other POST members. Using POST, participants can:

-- see lists of newly available portlets;
        -- post requests to the community for the development of new portlets;
        -- search for portlets;
        -- upload new portlets;
        -- download available portlets;
        -- submit modified or enhanced versions of downloaded portlets; and
        -- discuss portlet development best practices, issues and solutions.

Details are available in the site below:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/portlet-opensrc/

Also, read more at:
    Portal vendors unite behind standards

Threaded Messages (4)

2. did not get this???[ Go to top ]

So is this like a Portal Market place...(free ofcourse) like componentsource.com . The standard place to look for any reusable portlets.

Or it is just an interoperability standard / guideline
  3. Not for Commercial Use[ Go to top ]

Not sure, but I see that the sourceforge.net site lists "GPL" as the license type, where as component source is for-profit.

As I understand GPL (I'm sure someone will flame me here if they feel my interpretation of GPL is off base), that means that any software that uses a "component" off of POST immediately itself becomes open source. As a commercial software developer, POST immediately drops in value because of the GPL license approach. Even LGPL would have been a major improvement over GPL. If someone writes a nifty POP3 portlet that is JSR168 compliant, and I want to take advantage of that portlet strictly to add something as trivial as email services to my web application, I'm out of luck unless I want to open-source all of my IP just to add a little email support. At least component source gives me the opportunity to try-n-buy the component if I like it.

If portlets are going to become a viable business opportunity, GPL is going to have to go.

The other question in my mind is how long can Sun et. al. afford to invest engineering resources on GPL stuff. Can you "job insecurity" if all one did all day long for a publicly traded company like Sun or BEA was write GPL portlets.

Jason
  4. Not for Commercial Use[ Go to top ]

Given the companies involved, I would seriously doubt they are going to force all participants to use the GPL.

> If portlets are going to become a viable business opportunity, GPL is going to have to go.
    >
  5. where are the portlets[ Go to top ]

It has been almost 3 months that site still only has 1 portlet..so it take 4 vendors can only create one portlet in 3 months..omg