Discussions

News: IBM Announces The Edge Computing Project

1. IBM Announces The Edge Computing Project (5 messages)

IBM has announced "The Edge Computing Project", a technology demonstration of edge computing and its on-demand capacity to take advantage of the Akamai network. IBM has a white paper which discusses the architecture of deploying the "view" to edge servers, while keeping the business logic on the main cluster/machine.

How does it work

"The basic concept involves the user interface being deployed "on the edge" and communicating back to the the "enterprise" via Web service calls. By serving the user interface from an edge server, two advantages are gained: First, the user interface is no longer competing with back-end operations for resources, since those operations are now performed on the other side of a Web services call. Second, the user interface is deployed in multiple edge locations, so each one has a fraction of the total traffic, which will obviously increase performance. The enterprise, in contrast, houses most/all of the business logic and is relieved of the responsibility of serving user interface content such as HTML. Thus, less traffic will make it to the enterprise server, and a bottleneck at the datastore is mitigated."

View The Edge Computing Project

Download the whitepaper On Demand: Developing EdgeComputing Applications (pdf)

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Webservices calls?![ Go to top ]

The idea about multiple edge locations for UI is good. It definitely gives advantages. But I can't understand the claim about webservices calls between 'UI' servers and 'business' server. Why we can't use RMI instead? I think, RMI is faster, safer and easier. Is webserivices just for fashion or there is any reason for?
  3. Webservices calls?![ Go to top ]

The idea about multiple edge locations for UI is good. It definitely gives advantages. But I can't understand the claim about webservices calls between 'UI' servers and 'business' server. Why we can't use RMI instead? I think, RMI is faster, safer and easier. Is webserivices just for fashion or there is any reason for?

Webservices will become the standard of tomorrow. It is the most evolving technology for communication between companies. And the performance issue is targeted through "Fast Webservices". The most important aspect of a common communication protocol must be that everybody can use it, right?
  4. Webservices calls?![ Go to top ]

Why we can't use RMI instead? I think, RMI is faster, safer and easier.

>Is webservices just for fashion or there is any reason for?

The UI is intended to run at servers in Akamai's network - ie all over the world (near the users - eg your customers). The core business runs on the enterprise's own servers. RMI is not considered a good choice for remote access between servers managed by separate organizations - it's too brittle.

Cheers Nigel
  5. web services is platform neutral[ Go to top ]

uhm, what if not all the applications were java? how to use RMI. Web services is all about interoperability and a middleware architecture that is vendor independent (as opposite to traditional EAI) but less complex than CORBA.
  6. Not only did we get some fantastic music but now we can deploy band members to address IT issues. Whoever gets the Bono Computing Project will really hit the jackpot, computing infrastructure and free advise on how to solve all the worlds problems!