Testing Tools Update: Clover 1.2.4, and Cactus Vision

Discussions

News: Testing Tools Update: Clover 1.2.4, and Cactus Vision

1. Cortex is pleased to announce the release of Clover v1.2.4, along with version 1.1.3 of the Clover plugin for Eclipse.

Clover is a Code Coverage tool for Java. It finds sections of your code that are not being tested. This helps you improve your unit tests and find more bugs, before your customers do.

Clover integrates easily into Ant-based builds and provides accurate and detailed measurement of method, statement and branch coverage. Because it requires no specialized runtime, it is well suited to testing of J2EE applications.

Clover reports in XML, HTML, PDF, or plain text. A Swing Viewer allows interactive browsing of Coverage results. Historical reporting provides charting of code coverage and other project metrics over time. A suite of Ant tasks provide control over all aspects of the coverage gathering and reporting process. A full set of Command Line tools provide for integration with legacy build systems.

Fully integrated plugins for IntelliJ IDEA, NetBeans, and Eclipse allow you to measure and inspect code coverage without leaving the IDE.

Clover 1.2.4 includes bugfixes and minor improvements.

Read more about Clover, see some screenshots and sample reports at:
    http://www.thecortex.net/clover

To see what Code Coverage is all about, try our simple tutorial:
    http://www.thecortex.net/clover/tutorial/index.html

Cactus Vision

Vincent Massol (author of JUnit in Action, and all around Mr. Test) has discussed Cactus, and the new vision that he has:

"Currently the Cactus project is a framework to help unit test J2EE components (and mostly Servlet/JSP/Taglib).

I'd like to expand its goal and make it a framework for building in-container testing solutions. Cactus would still offer an implementation for J2EE component testing but it will also open up an API for plugging other implementations."

Read about Vincent's vision for Cactus, and how he has created 2 SPIs: one for pluggable protocols (HTTP, RMI), and one for custom test case implementations (Servlet, EJB).

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Is it just me or is this weird?[ Go to top ]

A pretty strange post here, combining a product announcement with a vision statement by the creator of a completely unrelated product.

Vince, if I were you I might consider posting a Cactus Cookbook (or possibly publishing one) before expanding my vision in this way. I've recently spent quite a bit of time tussling with Cactus and there are serious usability issues.

'Cactus in Action', perhaps? I'd buy it....
  3. Re: Is it just me or is this weird?[ Go to top ]

Vince, if I were you I might consider posting a Cactus Cookbook (or possibly publishing one) before expanding my vision in this way. I've recently spent quite a bit of time tussling with Cactus and there are serious usability issues.

Hi Don,

Incidentally, there are several chapters (4-5) showing how to use Cactus on different real-world applications in JUnit in Action (http://manning.com/massol). I know Cactus was not easy to use. Which is why we focused on usability in version 1.5. It should be much easier now.

Now, you have to understand that Cactus is an open source project. It belongs to you as much as it belongs to me. If you're interested in participating to improve its usability, that's nice. If not, it's your choice. I'm the same as you: I'm not paid to work on Cactus; I do it 100% in my free time after work hours (after the kids have been put to bed). It's a hobby project. Thus my priorities depend on my mood and sometime I try to do thing that excite me. I'm currently in one of these moods where I'm interested in improving Cactus core (of course trying not to break anything). One of the reasons is to make it easier for others to participate in Cactus development. I have my limits and help is most welcome :-) I'm also interested in improving the Cactus Eclipse plugin. So you'll find me working in these 2 directions for the coming months. That's of course in addition to my participation in Maven, which is where I have been spending most of my free time lately... :-)

>
    > 'Cactus in Action', perhaps? I'd buy it....

Hey, that's cool :-) Try JUnit in Action first (reviewed here on TSS). All Cactus chapters and examples are using Cactus 1.5.

Thanks for your support
    -Vincent
  4. JUnit in Action[ Go to top ]

I got it on Saturday (a little too late for the Cactus work, which ended last week). It looks like an excellent book.

What I think Cactus needs are fully worked-out examples of all the major targets. My experience was frustrating in that I wound up rewriting the cactus test system about 3 times in the space of two weeks to meet the schedule. Under incredible schedule pressure and learning things the hard way. Such as the fact that the <cactus> task wants to start up it's own server instance rather than use an existing instance.

A fuller explanation of the <runservertests> task (and an example) would help a lot, too. I pulled hair out over that one. It's not really clear what problems it is meant to solve from the documentation. I have an idea now, but learned it the hard way.

I understand what you are saying, Vince. I think Cactus is a fantastic tool. The problem is that both Cactus' and my personal reputation took some heavy damage last month because people were thinking Cactus is like JUnit so what's the problem? We had 20 developers waiting for a working Cactus implementation in the build.xml and they were not happy campers.