Discussions

News: New Roadmap For NetBeans.org

1. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org (36 messages)

Sun and the NetBeans.org open source tools community unveiled a new roadmap for the NetBeans Application Framework, detailing the path to version 4.0.

This comes after Sun decided not to join Eclipse.

New features

* New Project System based on Apache Ant
    * Refactoring
    * Support for J2EE 1.4 & bundled Tomcat 5
    * JDK 1.5 Support
    * Outline View
    * TaskList
    * Unit Testing with JUnit
    * Editor Enhancements: Error scrollbar marking
    * Editor Enhancements: Smart Templates
    * Editor Enhancements: Autogeneration of JavaDoc
    * Editor Enhancements: Automated Imports Management
    * Editor Enhancements: Surround Code, Smart Select
    * Full keyboard-only use
    * Help system based on JavaHelp 2.0
    * Ability to configure External Tools

NetBeans 4.0 Release Plan

Sun Unfurls NetBeans Roadmap

NetBeans.org details new roadmap for java tools framework

Threaded Messages (36)

2. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

Most (maybe all?) of these features are already present in Eclipse. Why would somebody want to wait for this NetBeans release when these features are already available in other IDEs?
  3. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

Yup you are right.
    Ant is supported in Eclipse.
    JUnit support is there
    CVS Support is there
    Refactoring is possible
    Can connect to all leading App servers thru plugins
    Wait for netbeans for all these when i can have it in eclipse NOW ... NAH
  4. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

Note that NetBeans has had Ant, JUnit, and CVS support for a long time. As I understand it, they're restructuring their support and align it with a new way of handling projects, similar to what JetBrains do with IDEA 4.0.

I think choice is always good: Why not have two major open source Java IDEs, instead of doing everything the Eclipse way? FYI, I'm personally an IDEA lover, but I worked with NetBeans before - for about two years.

Juergen
  5. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

I agree, choice/competition is good. Unlikely that NetBeans and Eclipse will fragment the market as opposed to making each product offering stronger. Just as SWT/JFace is an invaluable complement to AWT/Swing.
  6. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

I think there is a miss-understanding in the IDE world:
    - NetBeans already supports Plug-Ins concept a long time before Eclipse was born.
    - Ant, JUnit, Refactoring (commercial), CVS, etc. are already available in NetBeans a long long time ago.

IMO, IBM has made a good marketing campaign for Eclipse since everybody are saying: WOW, Eclipse is the *only* and the *first* IDE with Plug-Ins concept. Gee, this is like saying Java is the first and only object-oriented language ;-)

Anyway, one think I really like from NetBeans is the "mounting system", no hustle to make a project or so. Also the keyboard support of NetBeans is beautiful. Eclipse always pushs you to make a project. Another points is that the ant integration of Eclipse 2.x is useless. You only can start *one* instance of ant (not anymore in 3.x).

I really looking forward to see NetBeans 4 especially the automatic ant-based build files! I think this will be very cool!

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  7. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

I think there is a miss-understanding in the IDE world:

> - NetBeans already supports Plug-Ins concept a long time before Eclipse was born.
    > - Ant, JUnit, Refactoring (commercial), CVS, etc. are already available in NetBeans a long long time ago.
    >
    > IMO, IBM has made a good marketing campaign for Eclipse since everybody are saying: WOW, Eclipse is the *only* and the *first* IDE with Plug-Ins concept. Gee, this is like saying Java is the first and only object-oriented language ;-)
    >
    > Anyway, one think I really like from NetBeans is the "mounting system", no hustle to make a project or so. Also the keyboard support of NetBeans is beautiful. Eclipse always pushs you to make a project. Another points is that the ant integration of Eclipse 2.x is useless. You only can start *one* instance of ant (not anymore in 3.x).
    >
    > I really looking forward to see NetBeans 4 especially the automatic ant-based build files! I think this will be very cool!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Lofi.

Completely agree!!!
  8. re: New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

"Most (maybe all?) of these features are already present in Eclipse. Why would somebody want to wait for this NetBeans release when these features are already available in other IDEs?"

rofl

Following that through...IntelliJ had those features before Eclipse, so why wait for Eclipse? If you want to see what the feature set of Eclipse will be, just check out what IntelliJ 4.0 is going to have and you can see the future. Viola!
  9. re: New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

IntelliJ 4.0 is not a free product like eclipse so....:)
  10. re: New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

IntelliJ is not free, but neither is time. based on its low cost, I can't imagine how it wouldn't pay for itself in 1-2 days vs a Free IDE (even eclipse)

eclipse is tops of the free IDEs (IMO), and has great support. And I used it for some time. (before seeing IntelliJ) (I also moved from Netbeans to Eclipse..)

Just try IntelliJ and I'd be suprised if you don't love the way it works.

-j
  11. The one big thing I like about netbeans and jedit is that it does 'almost' force you to make a project. That way I can interchange my editors without having to create a new project.
    P.S. I know there are ways around this in eclipse, but it's not obvious at all.
  12. ANT Support[ Go to top ]

I think that Eclipse is moving in the right direction with the external builders concept, but the ant support is disapointing. Eclipse knows basic structure of a project so it should at least provide an ant build file at project creation time, containing the source directories, librarires, clean targets.
    Is it on Eclipse's roadmap ?

Olivier
  13. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

Yup you are right.

> Ant is supported in Eclipse.
    > JUnit support is there
    > CVS Support is there
    > Refactoring is possible
    > Can connect to all leading App servers thru plugins
    > Wait for netbeans for all these when i can have it in eclipse NOW ... NAH

Are you implying that these are not available in Netbeans ? Check your facts.
  14. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

I have never used netbeans and I dont intend to use it either. The article above states that Refactoring, Junit testing as new features so I assumed it do not have those features. Nothing wrong.
  15. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

Let me paraphrase...

~I read the original posting and immediatly started towing the party line I pull *WITHOUT DOING MY HOMEWORK* (not that I ever intend to), which was ultimately wrong. Nothing wrong?~

All you eclipse fanboys reall get under my skin sometimes. If you haven't used both then why make such inflamatory comments? This reminds me of kind of linux advocacy that happens after a negative report on linux. But it's not all of you (thank goodness). A few are doing a dis-service to the other useres of Eclipse.

For the record I have used both (NetBeans and Eclipse), and really they are very balanced. I prefer to use NetBeans. Why? The Visual GUI support. The VEP project is a good start for Eclipse, but I don't see my self using it. The lack of good handling for layout managers (hte demo even goes straight to absolute positiong) and the way it handles specific sub componennts (bean properites or method fields only) being the two principal reasons.

But don't misunderstand me, Eclipse is a fine IDE, but I use NetBeans by choice. I haven't really looked at IDEA since I'm too cheap to pay for a license.
  16. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

You need to learn and think more independently and assume less.

Definitely rely less on vendor hype!
  17. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

Yeah yeah, you are just another mindless cog shrill...

Learn to read and think will you? Do your homework! Don't just sit on your ass and assume you know anything worth knowing...
  18. NetBeans, Eclipse, IDEA .. rah, rah![ Go to top ]

Who needs football teams? We've got IDE fanatics!

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  19. NetBeans, Eclipse, IDEA .. rah, rah![ Go to top ]

Meanwhile, with all the time people spend learning IDEs, learning changes in IDE upgrades, switching IDEs, complaining about IDEs, fighting IDEs, and general producing enough concentrated angst to lift a small town into orbit, the rest of us quietly just keep writing tens of thousands of lines of code in VIM with no muss no fuss....

-Mike
  20. NetBeans, Eclipse, IDEA .. rah, rah![ Go to top ]

well u needed thousands of lines of code just becoz u havent seen the capacity of eclipse and other IDE tools. U dont need to write 1000 lines any more and yes - one more thing -u dont have to remember every damn commnd to go up the line and down the line or yank a line in the editor and dont need to remember the names of the methods of a class and ........
  21. ... what brings us to another point.[ Go to top ]

With all these modern IDEs, developers don't have to think anymore. Ctrl+space, Enter and keep typing, and yeah you don't even need javadocs available by ctrl+Q, you can just go to the source with ctrl+leftclick. And yes, who needs design if you can refactor? Who cares if you need to replace some construct 100 times if your favorite IDE does it for you?
    Sometimes it looks like you don't need to know java, just need to know all these fancy keyboard shortcuts. Like that bunch of monkeys typing Shakespeare
    Anyway, I am not against IDEs, I enjoy a lot of help from IDEA, but beleive I've seen the code that comes out as a result of mindless usage of the tool, and I don't like it. Too often I have been asking a question if the author of a certain [master-]piece even understands what the program is doing.
    IDE is a _tool_. One picks the one he/she likes. If it does the job so be it. If you don't understand what you are doing no tool will help.
  22. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

NetBeans has great support for building JSP/Servet applications and rich Swing GUIs today. Why wait for these features to show up in Eclipse?
  23. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

That's true. Netbeans has a great support for jsp, ant, xml. I use eclipse at work and Jbuilder at home. Last week I used netbeans 3.5.1, I was very impressed with the performance. Last time I used it, it was two years ago.
    Good job netbeans...
  24. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

Servlet/JSP not in NetBeans, it is in Forte built on NetBeans. Several plugins exist for J2EE development already including WSAD.
  25. Servlet/JSP is in Netbeans.[ Go to top ]

Servlets and JSPs are in Netbeans and have been there for a long time. I don't mind everyone liking their own IDE. I even don't mind when someone makes a comment that is wrong, we all do. But I must say that when someone makes a comment about something that is so blatantly wrong, which could be easily verified without having to search for the information, with the sole purpose of advancing their own agenda, well, it just makes them look more like they are lying on purpose rather than being mistaken. I find it hard to respect those kind of people or believe them when I read any of their other posts. So if you like your IDE or app server or whatever, great for you. Tell others about it and try to convince others to use it with facts, just don't lie.
  26. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

I use Eclipse on Windows, I am planning to move to Linux, It seems On Linux Netbeans performs better then Eclipse.
  27. Eclipse on Linux[ Go to top ]

I have been using the gtk version of Eclipse on Linux, 3.0M3. I like it very much . You should give it a try as M5 is already out.
  28. ...
  29. NB listens to developers[ Go to top ]

one of the things that I really like about netbeans it that the development team listens to the users (e.g. developers/consumers of the IDE). These features are things that I have asked for in the past and I am glad to see them show up in the past. Eclipse seems to be an IBM consortium controlled by corporates -- I mean how do many developers get on their governance board?

Note that I see a lot of bogus comments on this thread by people that have not used Netbeans at all.

Netbeans currently already does support ANT but it also hasits own custom build process. My feature request was for the default project configuration wizard to also generate ANT build scripts rather than relying on default internal build process. This is the enhancement that shows up in the 4.0 roadmap. It is not simply adding support to ANT.

anyway that's my rant.
  30. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

There seems to be a fair share of Eclipse worship, even to the extent that it goes overboard. Read this java.net blog about the Rave project presentation at Javapolis, for example:

http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/754

People were disappointed that it was not based on Eclipse but on NetBeans, regardless of its good performance and looks. In fact, they probably first thought it was based on Eclipse. I just find this kind of attitude very close minded.

I have used Eclipse for the past 18 months, never NetBeans.
  31. Its so ironic that sun wants to not support eclipse and now planiing to be atleast as good as Eclipse or IDEA or Intelli J or any other LEADING TOOL.
    Someitmes i wonder - how many people in SUN really have brain . Besides giving us Java - the great language - we see mostly crap coming out of SUN.
  32. get real SUN- u have stupids working for creating slowest IDEs in the world
  33. New Roadmap For NetBeans.org[ Go to top ]

NetBeans, what a joke. It never disappoints me in letting me down. I admit NetBeans a looooooooong list of features it has been equippted even before the birth of eclipse. And amazed that it does not give any satisfaction. I tried several times. Every time I installed with a little hope, it took me less than an hour to remove it from my computer. IDE is really habits. There are people out there who believe VI is the best tool. I wouldn't say anything to people who love NetBeans for their main tool.
    I've been using all kinds of IDEs like MS studio, Cafe, JBuilder, IDEA, Eclipse and so on. IDE is efficiency tool. NetBeans gives more frustration than efficiency. Anybody saw people changed to NetBeans from Eclipse??? Personally, I have not, except they really need to use features that exist in NetBeans. But that is really rare. Good tools many times impress developers in few minutes. NetBeans has never been like that, not because the rich features but because ..... that is Sun's job to figure out.
  34. Peace[ Go to top ]

The biggest drawback of NB is it currently does not support refactoring.(Although you can buy a commercial refactoring product named RefactorIT). But NB has some nice features I really like. For example the word match feature(Ctrl+k, Ctrl+l) enables you to type the beginning of a word used elsewhere and have the IDE generate the rest of word. I know emacs has this feature, but am not sure if Eclipse supports it. Current Eclipse does not provide SWING form editor. This leaves GUI developers no choice but to use NB or JBuilder, but JBuilder is not free.
  35. I love the look and feel of NetBeans more than I do of eclipse. No doubt. But the sheer sluggishness of NetBeans at startup is what really gets to me. I mean, what the hell happens to my disk just after NetBeans starts up? It gets so loud that even a Defrag sounds quieter???. CPU at 0% but hard disk crunching like sh*t. Huh? :) Anyway...

Also, what seems like a bug in the main splitter (if you drag the splitter a bit too fast for NetBeans it refuses to reposition) gets to me after a while too. :( But I love NetBeans and I am glad Sun stuck to its guns and promised better support for it. More choice for us!

I look forward to NetBeans 4. I hope they speed it up even more!

Just some points.

Abdullah
  36. NetBeans htmldiff[ Go to top ]

This looks like a useful tool

http://contrib.netbeans.org/htmldiff/

http://contrib.netbeans.org/source/browse/contrib/htmldiff/
  37. Drop your proudness Sun !!!![ Go to top ]

I have extensively used NetBeans for more than 2 years now. For my last project I have switched over to Eclipse. In my opinion Sun has got to go a very far way to reach the proficiency's Eclipse has got. I think that they must drop their proudness and rather contribute to the eclipse project that has already won the race. The point is that we need a tool in the likeness of Microsoft's development tool set. Eclipse has already got a better foundation than NetBeans. Why build on a substandard foundation. I have red a reply stating that NetBeans is faster than Eclipse on Linux. In my experience that is not true. Eclipse is faster than NetBeans on both Windows and Linux Redhat 9.