Oracle Releases Application Server 10g

Discussions

News: Oracle Releases Application Server 10g

1. Oracle Releases Application Server 10g (25 messages)

Oracle has released their Application Server 10g. The AS 10g product suite contains many services: J2EE & Web Services, Caching, Portal, CMS, Wireless, Management & Security, High Availability, Integration, and more.

For Oracle, it's ready, set, grid

Oracle Application Server 10g Ships

Oracle Application Server 10g

Threaded Messages (25)

2. Oracle Releases Application Server 10g[ Go to top ]

This is the much-delayed 9.0.4 patch release product. For the "real" 10g version, please be patient.
  3. This is the much-delayed 9.0.4 patch release product. For the "real" 10g version, please be patient.

Not only that, but this is only released for HP and Solaris so far. No mention of the Windows side. Another major thing lacking is Oracle Integration. I wonder why they are marketing this as 10g is released?
  4. Jasperreports Problems![ Go to top ]

Under OC4J v9.0.3 I was able to generate Reports from my Application. Since I installed the 9.0.4 Version, it does not work. I tried a lot of changes, but nothing works. Sombeody has the same Problem resolved?
  5. 10g is 9.04[ Go to top ]

Someone tried to explain the whole Oracle release nameing scheme to me a few weeks ago, but it was so strange that I can't remember exactly how it went.
  6. nice admin site, install and demos?[ Go to top ]

Here's what happens on following the instructions

<!-- Uncomment the following, to deploy these apps. -->

found in 9.0.4 /j233/h0m3/c0nf1g/s3v3r.xml and http-w3b-s1t3.xml:

Auto-unpacking /j2ee/home/applications/dms0.war... done.
    Auto-unpacking /j2ee/home/applications/dms.war... done.
    Auto-unpacking /j2ee/home/jazn/demo/callerInfo/callerInfo.ear... done.
    Auto-unpacking /j2ee/home/jazn/demo/callerInfo/callerInfo/callerInfo-web.war... done.
    Copying default deployment descriptor from archive at /j2ee/home/jazn/demo/callerInfo/callerInfo/META-INF/orion-application.xml to deployment directory j2ee/home/application-deployments/callerInfo...
    Auto-deploying callerInfo (New server version detected)...
    Error instantiating application at file:/j2ee/home/jazn/demo/ssoInfo/build/ssoInfo.ear: Unable to find/read assembly info for /j2ee/home/jazn/demo/ssoInfo/build/ssoInfo archive (IO Error: The system cannot find the path specified)
    Error instantiating application at file:/j2ee/home/demo/ejb/: Unable to find/read assembly info for j2ee/home/demo/ejb (META-INF/application.xml)
    Error instantiating application at file:/j2ee/home/applications/news.ear: Unable to find/read assembly info for /j2ee/home/applications/news archive (IO Error: The system cannot find the file specified)
    Error instantiating application at file:/j2ee/home/demo/messagelogger.ear: Unable to find/read assembly info for /j2ee/home/demo/messagelogger archive (IO Error: The system cannot find the file specified)
    Error instantiating application at file:/j2ee/home/applications/estore-patched.ear: Unable to find/read assembly info for j2ee/home/applications/estore-patched archive (IO Error: The system cannot find the file specified)
    Error instantiating application at file:/j2ee/home/demo/web_services/java_services/ws_example.ear: Unable to find/read assembly info for /j2ee/home/demo/web_services/java_services/ws_example archive (IO Error: The system cannot find the path specified)
    Error instantiating application at file:/j2ee/home/demo/ojspdemos.ear: Unable to find/read assembly info for /j2ee/home/demo/ojspdemos archive (IO Error: The system cannot find the file specified)
    To enable in-process JSP compilation (which can be faster in some cases),
    please add the path to your tools.jar in application.xml
    Example: <library path="../../../jdk/lib/tools.jar" />

Enter an admin password to use:
    Confirm admin password:
    If you are using J2SE 1.4 or higher, please ensure that all your imported classe
    s are within packages, as required by the Java Language Specification.
    Installation done
  7. nice admin site, install and demos?[ Go to top ]

Actually, this is very impressive, only a half page of errors - looks like Oracle is making progress.

This is from the second biggest software maker in the world. Just to think Oracle is leading some JSRs...
  8. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

I've always thought of Oracle as a piece of crap, with so much of fragility and ugly looking/broken installers.
  9. Waiting for Windows based 10g[ Go to top ]

technet.oracle.com is just offering an HP Unix and Solaris based 10g Download. Any idea when they will make windows based version available for download?
  10. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

YES and NO. I must say if you are working on Oracle you better know its architecture and funtionality right. If you like to depend on visual tools and wizards and expect them to perform all of the tasks in sequence then , i guess, Oracle is not for you. If everything goes fine Oracle can be very useful but if something goes wrong it can make your life hell. I am using Oracle from last 6 years, i have to admit many times during this time i seriously thought about switching to some other technology. You get disappointed when you see some very basic operations throwing exceptions and you come to know that its a bug and will be fixed in the next release or a patch will be released.

Some 10 months ago , one of the company client wanted to do some reports using Oracle Reports. We setup the environment and developed few reports using Oracle Reports 9i. Developers created reports and saved them but real magic happened the next day. Oracle Reports wont let them open the files :o) . Developers got panic.... they said what good is a tool when you can'nt open the files you are working on . We contacted metalink (Oracle's support website) according to them its a bug. Very good, so its like shipping MS Word software in the market and saying u can create a document and save it but u wont be able to open it and that bug will be fixed in next release or a patch will be made available sometime in future !!!!! We got few more problems like that and Client abondoned Oracle tools and we switched to Crystal Reports pro.
    This is just one example how Oracle can frustrate you, but at the same time in terms of control, efficiency and scalability no doubt a well configured database administered by an expert (not just a normal DB Programmer), can beat any database in the world.

> I've always thought of Oracle as a piece of crap, with so much of fragility and ugly looking/broken installers.
  11. Happens[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Actually, with first releases of MS Word 2000 it was possible to save a document and be unable to open it. My friend lost 100 pages of his master thesis this way. :) So no surprise for me - if the binary format is used, it can always happen. That's why I prefer text formats.

And as for Oracle - I'm working with it for 4 years and have good overall experience. I use one simple rule for Oracle products: database engine - yes, everything else - no. There are some few exceptions to the rule, but it's generally good heuristics. :)

Best regards,
    Piotr
  12. db only...can't buy that[ Go to top ]

I felt like the first release of the app server using the 8i database JVM was a complete disaster, we spent 6 months trying to get it all to work right (servlet engine, etc)....nightmare..

When they bought the Orion code, we were able to get our app server to the same place in a couple of days.

The 1.0.2.2 release had a bunch of issues (load balancer, clustering weak, deployment), but the core OC4J was pretty impressive. The 10g (9.0.4) stuff we have seen has shown a fair evolution on a couple fronts that were giving trouble, such as shifting to the AJP protocol for clustering OC4J with the web servers (no more orion load balancer). The EM console has been a bit squirrily in the 9.0.3 but looks much better in the 10G server as well. Changes made to the cluster seem to propogate well across instances, etc.

I firmly believe that 90% of everything is crap, which makes some of the breathless forum stuff kind of fun tor read. At the very least the core OC4J has been great, and I hope Oracle can build enterprise stuff around it without ruining it!
  13. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

I am using Oracle from last 6 years, i have to admit many times during this time i seriously thought about switching to some other technology.

>

Interesting how people with such thin experience are so vocal.
  14. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

U dont need to spend 100 years to master this technology. Old mainframe era is gone when people were use to claim expertise on the basis of number of years of experience. If you get an opportunity to work with dynamic people 6 year time is not that bad to learn some good stuff.

> > I am using Oracle from last 6 years, i have to admit many times during this time i seriously thought about switching to some other technology.
    > >
    >
    > Interesting how people with such thin experience are so vocal.
  15. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

U dont need to spend 100 years to master this technology. Old mainframe era is gone when people were use to claim expertise on the basis of number of years of experience. If you get an opportunity to work with dynamic people 6 year time is not that bad to learn some good stuff.

>

Heard that before. It was called "at internet speed". Or "web speed". Or "after we develop the database related stuff you can work on code". Or drawing diagrams in which the database drum is something small on the low right side of the sheet.
    Somehow, this "concepts" still float around.
  16. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

In your opinion how many years of experience one should have to know a product inside out? Then u also need to question the quality of work, number of projects , role played by a person ... many other things like that. Talk about Oracle App Server and dont get into this useless disucssion. I dont want my personal cridentials to be disucssed. Talk about this thread's topic.

I wanted to let others know about my experience with Oracle products and certainly i can post hundreds of other issues we faced during last 6 years of extensive Application development. Personal attacks should be avoided

> > U dont need to spend 100 years to master this technology. Old mainframe era is gone when people were use to claim expertise on the basis of number of years of experience. If you get an opportunity to work with dynamic people 6 year time is not that bad to learn some good stuff.
    > >
    >
    > Heard that before. It was called "at internet speed". Or "web speed". Or "after we develop the database related stuff you can work on code". Or drawing diagrams in which the database drum is something small on the low right side of the sheet.
    > Somehow, this "concepts" still float around.
  17. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

I wanted to let others know about my experience with Oracle products and certainly i can post hundreds of other issues we faced during last 6 years of extensive Application development. Personal attacks should be avoided

Sir,
    I wasn't really talking about you specifically. It was just a general observation. You are absolutely right that projects and position in projects count a lot. It just happend that yesterday I suggested a solution(since I have to suggest things like this:-))) based on a stack(with the operations push, pop and peek). I was asked if we shouldn't change the name of the methods with more user friendly names, by a senior java programmer(5 years-web speed). Maybe something like instead of push - AddANewCellAndIncrementbyOnePointer
  18. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

'I was asked if we shouldn't change the name of the methods with more user friendly names, by a senior java programmer(5 years-web speed). Maybe something like instead of push - AddANewCellAndIncrementbyOnePointer'

I know exactly what you mean.
  19. Oracle: Fragile[ Go to top ]

'I was asked if we shouldn't change the name of the methods with more user friendly names, by a senior java programmer(5 years-web speed). Maybe something like instead of push - AddANewCellAndIncrementbyOnePointer'

>
    > I know exactly what you mean.

Andre,

You are my friend.

Dodo
  20. using Oracle[ Go to top ]

I's about 5 years now of using oracle tools for develop app's, (developer 6, 6i), database (8, 8i) and application server (1.0.2.2.x).

My experience:

At the begining having used only delphi and vb and without much training, the process of developing with forms/reports was a little bit hard (not so ease to do nice gui's, the most). Now I find it really fast for develop data intensive app's. I learn that the tools were designed with the idea of using the database data and not to do "nice" gui's.

IAS (oas, ...) Tryed some times oas, really hard to configure, then with ias (1.0.2.2.x) it was really simpler, when a needed to change the server, it was a matther of 1 day of doing the complety work (install os and ias) on a w2k machine. Now I'm going to try next version, so couldn't comment on newer versions.

With the database once you got it running with the parameters adjusted for your environment, it's really hard to have a problem.

:-)
  21. Dear
    I am using (but forced by BOSS to use) Oracle JDeveloper 10g Version 9.0.5.0.0 Preview (Build 1375).
    Now we have to create reports for our J2EE application, so we are using Crystal reports 10.
    I made a report in JDeveloper using Crystal Viewer Component(API's to view reports in JSP).Report created successfully but when i click on export button it gives following exception

java.lang.IllegalStateException: OutputStream already retrieved

also when i refresh report by calling viewer.refresh() [viewer IS AN INSTANCE OF CrystalReportViewer]it gives same exception.

But all code executed in Tomcatcat 4.0 successfully.No Exception NO error.
    Please help me,What would be problem? IS there problem or bug in OC4J or it is crystal report problem.

Thanks in advance
  22. Dear Shahzad

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
    I am very interested because i ran into the same problem.

crv.processHttpRequest(request, response, application, out);
    I have to use the out variable to be able to see the report, but the export window throws an IllegalStateException, and the print functionallity doesent work.

Null and getWriter() can not be used as parameter then the report view itself generates IllegalStateException.

The jsp code runs without problems in Tomcat.

If anybody has a suggestion to this, i would like to hear it.

Merry Christmas to all
  23. Simple solution[ Go to top ]

Hello everybody

First Step.
    Run the code in Tomcat, and click the export button.
    When the export window pops up, select view source and copy all source. Save it in a file eg. ChooseFormat.jsp.
    Do the same for print button(don't use CrPrintMode.ACTIVEX)
    call the file e.g. ChoosePrint.jsp.

All the problems occur when the viewer tries to generate this code. Instead of letting the viewer do i wee do it for it.

Wee use the following code to do it:

if (request.getParameter("tb")!=null){
      if (request.getParameter("tb").equalsIgnoreCase("exportdlg")){
        request.getRequestDispatcher("ChooseFormat.jsp").forward(request,response);
      }
      if (request.getParameter("tb").equalsIgnoreCase("printdlg")){
        request.getRequestDispatcher("ChoosePrint.jsp").forward(request,response);
      }
    }

Here is the full jsp code:

<%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.infostore.IInfoObjects" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.infostore.IInfoObject" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.infostore.IInfoStore" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.managedreports.IReportAppFactory" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.reportsource.IReportSource" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.managedreports.IReportSourceFactory" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.framework.CrystalEnterprise" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.sdk.framework.IEnterpriseSession" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.reports.reportengineinterface.*" %>
    <%@ page import="com.crystaldecisions.report.web.viewer.*" %>
    <%@ page import="java.util.*" %>
    <%
    String user = "Administrator";
    String password = "";
    String cmsName = "ARPWORK";
    String cmsAuthType = "secEnterprise";

String rapportId = request.getParameter("rapportId");
    IInfoStore iStore=null;
    IInfoObjects oInfoObjects=null;
    IInfoObject oInfoObject=null;
    IReportSource reportSource = null;

if (rapportId != null){
      IEnterpriseSession es = CrystalEnterprise.getSessionMgr().logon(user,password,cmsName,cmsAuthType);
      iStore = (IInfoStore) es.getService("","InfoStore");
      oInfoObjects = (IInfoObjects) iStore.query("SELECT * FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS WHERE SI_ID = "+rapportId);oInfoObject = (IInfoObject)

oInfoObjects.get(0);
      IReportSourceFactory rptFactory = (IReportSourceFactory) es.getService("","PSReportFactory");
      reportSource = rptFactory.openReportSource(oInfoObject, request.getLocale());session.setAttribute("rptSource", reportSource);
    }else {
      reportSource = (IReportSource) session.getAttribute("rptSource");
    }

if (request.getParameter("tb")!=null){
    if (request.getParameter("tb").equalsIgnoreCase("exportdlg")){
    request.getRequestDispatcher("nyChooseFormat.jsp").forward(request,response);
    }
    if (request.getParameter("tb").equalsIgnoreCase("printdlg")){
    request.getRequestDispatcher("nyChoosePrint.jsp").forward(request,response);
    }

}

CrystalReportViewer crv = new CrystalReportViewer();
    crv.setName("viewer");
    crv.setOwnPage(true);
    crv.setOwnForm(true);
    crv.setReportSource(reportSource);
    crv.setHasPrintButton(true);
    crv.setHasExportButton(true);
    crv.processHttpRequest(request, response, application,out);
    crv.dispose();
    crv=null;
    %>

Thats all folks.
    Hope it helps you from getting as many gray hairs as i have become ;-)

Regards
    Arne Pedersen
  24. When is oracle going to finally come out and say, we hate app servers even our own, swe the DB, never leave the DB, use ProC, etc, etc, etc.

How can a company like them, who make a great DB, release such crappy product. Didn't they license Orion, which was a good product, no?
  25. Hey Guys,
    before blasting Oracle, examine youself

Do you have a clue what these errors means before complaining ?

These means these applications are not found and is not nasty errors or exceptions .. Oracle may not be shipping the samples to keep the zip smaller..
  26. OC4J experiences[ Go to top ]

I've used OC4J (since the Orion code branch) for quite a while and found it gto be a good stable product. I'm not sure why people claim to have all sorts of problems with it, though I'm not sure they have *actually used it* or read the instructions.

A few things a quirky.. setting up custom JAAS authenticators is a bit roundabout, but I've found it to be a stable tolerant application server. Its certainly very quick to start and work with.. compared to starting some app servers, this takes a few seconds to be up and running. Heck, it beats some servlet engines at that speed.

I haven't done as much with the complete 9iAS environment, but it does bring a bunch of nice features to the mix.

And anyway.. if you download it and drop an ear/war in and it doesn't work right away.. perhaps you should spend a few seconds debugging it. I've found Oracle's OC4J to be much more tolerant of configuration problems, ordering differences in the XML, and so forth than many other servers around.