Discussions

News: WebLogic Shell: wlshell 2.0 released

1. WebLogic Shell: wlshell 2.0 released (10 messages)

wlshell is a shell for WebLogic. It combines the power of a scripting language with the management features of JMX. The result is a user-friendly tool that operates like a telnet for WebLogic. wlshell is being used by administrators and developers to configure, monitor and automate WebLogic operations.

The main features of wlshell are:

- easy to use scripting language to access JMX MBeans for configuration and monitoring
    - simplified notation for JMX MBeans
    - supports WebLogic and custom MBeans
    - multiplatform (Windows and Unix)
    - multiversion (WebLogic 6.1, 7.0 and 8.1)
    - interactive and batch mode operation
    - online and offline configuration
    - local and remote operation
    - text and graphical command line interface
    - graphical explorer and attribute monitor
    - transform configuration stored in config.xml into wlshell commands

The new version 2.0 is available at www.wlshell.com

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Link doesn't work...[ Go to top ]

Getting a timeout when trying the link www.wlshell.com

- Torben
  3. Link doesn't work...[ Go to top ]

It probably runs on Weblogic ...
  4. Link is working ok now, but still slow[ Go to top ]

What's interesting is that it's running on Windows 2000 w/Apache today, but it was running on Weblogic yesterday, and last November it had been Linux w/WebLogic.

Anyway, the screenshots are interesting. I don't know enough about WL administration to tell how useful it would be.
  5. Link is working ok now, but still slow[ Go to top ]

Anyway, the screenshots are interesting. I don't know enough about WL >administration to tell how useful it would be.

I am a Weblogic administrator and I find this tool very useful.
    I use to:
    - Easily set or view MBean attributes values not accessible from the administration console. The command line MBean explorer is useful for that and is pretty fast.
    - Easily script MBean operations => you can script Weblogic server configuration. I prefer this tool than using verbose ant tasks. And also because Bea provided configuration ant tasks only since version 8.1.
    - graphically monitor runtime parameters.

I found limitations with the domain configuration converter to Wlshell commands ( v 1.6). For instance, where I work, we use the Weblogic SNMP agent to monitor Weblogic servers. The converter did not re-create the matching wlshell commands for the SNMP agent and the different counter, gauge monitors... It 's not a big deal anyway. I have not tested it with the 2.0 version.

IMO, it should be included with Weblogic server.

Luc
  6. Check out:

http://dev2dev.bea.com/codelibrary/code/wlst.jsp

Works with 8.1 now and will be in WLS in the next release

Cheers
    mbg

7. > Check out:
    >
    > http://dev2dev.bea.com/codelibrary/code/wlst.jsp
    >
    > Works with 8.1 now and will be in WLS in the next release

To add to Mark's response: WSLT is based on Python and the version above works on 8.1.

--
    Cedric
  8. new link for downloading files[ Go to top ]

The site is having more visitors than expected, here is a new link to download the files: wlshell files
    The documentation can be found in the distribution files and is still available at the wlshell web site
  9. The tool is very useful.

I have some feature requests:
    - Ant integration
    - Eclipse integration
    - Support for others JMX implementations (JBoss,MX4J,...)

Marcio Alves
  10. Marcio,

wlshell can be used with Ant, see the following example:
    Using Ant
  11. Has anybody in the Serverside Community tested the wlshell 2.0 with JBOSS administration? Can anybody supply screenshots or narrative about how it is done? Thx!