AspectWerkz 0.9 released

Discussions

News: AspectWerkz 0.9 released

1. AspectWerkz 0.9 released (15 messages)

Jonas Bonér and Alexandre Vasseur released a final version of AspectWerkz 0.9, which is now sponsored by BEA. This release contains bug fixes and updated documentation. AspectWerkz seems to be getting more and more powerful, and looks more like AspectJ than some of the other "simple" AOP systems out there.

It is also very interesting to watch the roadmap for the next version via JIRA.

Links:

AspectWerkz Home Page

Downloads

JIRA Roadmap for AspectWerkz

Threaded Messages (15)

2. AspectWerkz 0.9 released[ Go to top ]

Congrats to both Jonas and Alex on this release, Aspectwerkz is one of the most innovative projects that I have come across and both of the guys are extremely helpful towards new developers taking their first steps with the project.
  3. AspectWerkz 0.9 released[ Go to top ]

Congrats to both Jonas and Alex on this release, Aspectwerkz is one of the most innovative projects that I have come across and both of the guys are extremely helpful towards new developers taking their first steps with the project.
  4. Re: AspectWerkz 0.9 released[ Go to top ]

It's the best AOP implementation for Java available out there. If you want to use something serious, mature and that doesn't require a new Java syntax, that's for you. Congratulations, guys!
  5. AspectWerkz 0.9 released[ Go to top ]

Great news!
    I like AspectWerkz because it does not impose language changes, that mean any existing tool can be used to work with Java code.

One question: When I checked AspecWerkz couple months ago I have got an impression that is not an embeddable system, but instead wraps everything else. Now, list of features says that multiple Aspect systems might coexist in the same JVM.
    Can somebody point to a place in the documentation or at an example how to embed AspectWerkz inside of web application?
  6. AspectWerkz 0.9 released[ Go to top ]

aspectwerkz can work in one of two modes; on-line plugs into the classloader and so "wraps" existing applications, and off-line mode requires a second compilation phase to apply aspects *before* the application is run.

Using it in off-line mode would allow you to embed aspects in your existing apps.

HTH
  7. Use the "offline" mode[ Go to top ]

Hi,

when you want to use AspectWerkz in your webapplication you could either start the application server (Tomcat, Jetty or whatever) using the aspectwerkz commandline tool or pre-generate the aspect bytecodes by using the aspectwerkz offline mode.

Sascha
  8. Use the "offline" mode[ Go to top ]

you could either start the application server (Tomcat, Jetty or whatever) using the aspectwerkz commandline tool

This is exactly what I want to avoid. Sorry, but I do not have enough confidence in AOP tools and know that they might have serious impact on performance (see my experiments at http://www.kgionline.com/articles/aop_1/aop1.jsp )

>>or pre-generate the aspect bytecodes by using the aspectwerkz offline mode.
    Probably could, but does not seem handy. If such step is necessary then I would prefer something like C++ style macro substitution ‘on AO steroids’.
  9. Use the "offline" mode[ Go to top ]

In which case dynaop (see previous thread here on TSS) might suit you better. However, it does lack some of the power of Aspectwerkz
  10. AOP Frameworks comparison[ Go to top ]

Hi all:

I'm starting to do some test with AOP frameworks and AOP in general. I've been looking around and at least in the Java world there seems to be a plethora of AOP implementations out there. Is there a place I could go and see how they differ, what do they have in common, benchmarks, anything that could be useful when the time comes to pick one among then. I've also heard there's something called the AOP Alliance, I know Spring supports it, does AspectWerkz support it as well? Does anyone else do it?
    Thanks in advance

J.
  11. AspectWerkz 0.9 released[ Go to top ]

BEA seems to be picking up the winners.

Last time I visited aspectwerkz website, I recall seeing some warning about licence change. This isn't the case anymore?
  12. AspectWerkz 0.9 released[ Go to top ]

This release is, and future releases will be, released under LGPL.
  13. Looks more like AspectJ...?[ Go to top ]

If it looks like AspectJ then what is the point of this exercise?
  14. Looks more like AspectJ...?[ Go to top ]

AspectJ adds new keywords to the language which means that you have to use their compiler. Because Aspectwerkz uses standard Java code and XML it is less obtrusive to the existing development processes.
  15. Looks more like AspectJ...?[ Go to top ]

AspectJ adds new keywords to the language which means that you have to use

> their compiler. Because Aspectwerkz uses standard Java code and XML it is
    > less obtrusive to the existing development processes.

This is largely a matter of taste. In fact, for me, adding another language and another build/configuration step to the development environment is a lot more obstrusive than using one clear and concise language. The more you can keep in one place (and in plain text), the better.
  16. Looks more like AspectJ...?[ Go to top ]

This is largely a matter of taste.

for VI/notepad users it may be just a matter of taste, but IDE-s do not work with altered Java syntax.
    >>The more you can keep in one place (and in plain text),
    Not that I consider Java syntax to be my ideal but I do not see enough reasons for syntax alternation. Javadoc type metadata might be good enough in 97% cases IMO and if rest 3% will require config file or just plain coding, so be it.