Sun releases updated J2EE 1.4 SDK

Discussions

News: Sun releases updated J2EE 1.4 SDK

1. Sun releases updated J2EE 1.4 SDK (15 messages)

Sun has released an updated J2EE 1.4 SDK. The J2EE
    1.4 SDK contains the Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8 with support for JavaServer Faces and JSTL. It is free for development, deployment and redistribution.

Download the updated J2EE 1.4 SDK:
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download-sdk.html

Threaded Messages (15)

2. Thanks Sun[ Go to top ]

I just love that you have to download the entire Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8 to get the j2ee.jar
  3. Thanks Sun[ Go to top ]

I just love that you have to download the entire Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8 to get the j2ee.jar
    Try Microsoft's App Server Platform, you need to download an entire bloody OS to run that one!

:-)

Don't fight the progress, go with the force!

-John-
  4. Thanks Sun[ Go to top ]

U r not completely right...

Try Microsoft App Server Platform, you need to buy the entire bloody OS
  5. Thanks Sun[ Go to top ]

Your double standard is so bold and brazen. You are complaining about MS. I thought J2ee was a specification. What does sun's application server has to do with j2ee. Isn't that called bundling. Isn't the intent to give sun an unfair advantage.

-M
  6. Thanks Sun[ Go to top ]

U r not completely right... Try Microsoft App Server Platform, you need to buy the entire bloody OS
    That's entirely correct;)
  7. Nearly right...[ Go to top ]

U r not completely right... Try Microsoft App Server Platform, you need to buy the entire bloody OS
    Try Microsoft App Server Platform, you need to sell your soul.
  8. Nearly right...[ Go to top ]

Try Microsoft App Server Platform, you need to sell your soul.
    With Software Assurance - Just your firstborn. :)
  9. Nearly right...[ Go to top ]

Hi all. I think this is really good news. Ive been messing arond with SunONE Application server since V7 and I find it quite easy to use. But I have an issue debugging J2EE applications. I posted the question sometime back in the forum but no-ne seemed to have an Idea.. Ill re-post it here:

<forum-question>
    got a problem trying to debug a j2ee application using JPDA. But both the IDE and app server live on the same machine. I set up the application server and the IDE for debugging. The the first time debugging works fine and the IDE can "attach" itself to the appserver debug port OK, step through, etc.

But when I stop debugging and start again, I get a message saying "Connection refused: connect". When I restart the applcation server I can now debug again. Is it the case that after each debug session the JVM has to be restated? or am i missing something? Im on windows xp, jdk1.4.2, J2EE1.4 RI (Sun Java System application Server 8), IDEA and NetBeans.

</forum-question>

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Smythe...
  10. Debugging the J2EE 1.4 SDK[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    It seems you've hit an issue regarding the default dt_socket mechanism used to connect to the J2EE 1.4 SDK in debug mode.
    A workaround is to switch to the dt_shmem mode.
    Using the Admin Console, select the JVM Settings tab and change the
    Debug Options to:

-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_shmem,server=y,address=myapp,suspend=n

Make sure you click on the save button. Restart the application server once.

Now, you can attach/detach multiple times to the same VM (using "myapp" as the name parameter, using the dt_shmem mode.
    Hope this help,
    Ludo
  11. Nearly right...[ Go to top ]

Thanks I can now debug!

Cheers

Smythe
  12. Download is small ~32MB[ Go to top ]

If you're concerned about the download size, you can download just the app server here:

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html#sdk

The download uses advanced compression technologies and is only 32-35 MB depending on your platform.
  13. Download is small ~32MB[ Go to top ]

Did you miss my post. I think you did. I do not want to download the app sever.

-M
  14. Download is small ~32MB[ Go to top ]

So then don't :)

The J2EE APIs are shipped with every compatible app server. The compatibility tests ensure the APIs are identical.
  15. I just love that you have to download the entire Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8 to get the j2ee.jar
    SUN's J2EE SDK's always had a server (RI) included. What's the point to have just a j2ee.jar ? You cannot run your application anyway.

BTW I was badly suprised when I saw SUN server specific classes in javadoc of previous J2EE SDK release. They should not have put classes like com.sun.appserv.ejb.ReadOnlyBeanHelper in javadoc.

But the server looks really good. I have never seen a J2EE server where STRUTS/TILES applications are so fast as in AS8.

The server has a very nice administration console. Although it looks a bit strange that one has to know classname of datasource instead of JDBC driver class to configure a connection pool.

Is there any special reason for this ?

Maris
  16. DataSources[ Go to top ]

Although it looks a bit strange that one has to know classname of datasource instead of JDBC driver class to configure a connection pool.
    >>Is there any special reason for this ?

Using DriverManager to obtain a JDBC connection is somewhat obsolate, especialy in J2EE application server environments.
    For example you cannot connect to XA enabled drivers through DriverManager.

Mileta