Distributed Event Service

Discussions

General J2EE: Distributed Event Service

1. Distributed Event Service (1 messages)

Hi there

I have to develop a distributed event handling service for the creation of logs, events, alarms... I've been looking for different alternatives in order to develop such.

JINI event model, JIRO
    JMS (publisher/subscriber pattern)
    JGroups

I have some experience using jgroups and I have an idea how I would do it in combination of AOSD (AspecJ).

JMS it seems to me that it would fit as well our requirements, but something really important is the failure model, specially the failure detection. Is it possible to detect when a publisher (event creator) or a subscriber (event consumer) have failed? Is there any JMS-sub_API I could use to detect such failures? With jgroups it would be easy as the group membership service detects view changes of the processes joined to the communication group.

Tanks in advance
  2. Distributed Event Service[ Go to top ]

JMS it seems to me that it would fit as well our requirements, but something really important is the failure model, specially the failure detection. Is it possible to detect when a publisher (event creator) or a subscriber (event consumer) have failed? Is there any JMS-sub_API I could use to detect such failures?
    You can install an ExceptionListener right into a JMS Connection, but I don't know if this is good engough for your requirements.