Discussions

XML & Web services: Design Pattern for an Application Possibly a Web Service

1. Hi,

I am currently working on a school project that has me writing a chat application. The overall easiest way I could think of that would not be to use an app server and just create a classe that listens for socket connections.

But the thing is that I really want to use JBoss:-)

I was wondering if anyone might have any good patterns for implementing a chat service? I looked at Service Activator but it looks like I really need a more synchronous approach as I will be keeping any connections open.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated:-)
  2. Hi,I am currently working on a school project that has me writing a chat application. The overall easiest way I could think of that would not be to use an app server and just create a classe that listens for socket connections.
    Inside the <strong>EJB</strong> Container part Socket Connections are prohibitet.

<blockqoute>But the thing is that I really want to use JBoss:-)I was wondering if anyone might have any good patterns for implementing a chat service? I looked at Service Activator but it looks like I really need a more synchronous approach as I will be keeping any connections open.Any suggestions are greatly appreciated:-)If you really want to do it with J2EE and JBoss I would recommend to do it with JMS. Another possible solution may be JAXM which only needs an WebContainer like Tomcat. A smart warning: The learing curve higher as you may consider. :)

An alternative would be JXTA or plain sockets with old io (java.io) or new io (java.nio).
  3. Thanks Tobias -- I looked at using JMS but I am afraid that when I turn it in -- my professor will not have a JMS Server on his laptop:-(

However -- I do have a working proof of concept whereby it working over Socket connections -- the good news is that I just refactored it so that I can apply different interfaces for different protocols -- I am going to look into JXTA -- seems kind of complex though. Either way I have something to turn in - that will meet the requirements -- The good news is that the project was a Term Project and the class started last week -- So I am WAY ahead of schedule:-)