JDBInsight 2.1 Released - JDBC/J2EE Transaction Analyser

Discussions

News: JDBInsight 2.1 Released - JDBC/J2EE Transaction Analyser

1. JDBInsight 2.1 "Tune with Ease" has been released by JInspired. The new release includes many new features that improve the ease of integration/configuration and usability of the console.

Important Features:
    • XA Transactions Analysis
    • Call Trace Analysis across technology/architectural layers
    • Exception Monitoring
    • Flexible Cluster Profiling
    • XML and Graphics exporting for custom reporting
    • Increased JDBC API Coverage
    • Multiple Snapshot File Merging
    • Easier Server & DataSource Configuration
    • Many UI View Enhancements

JDBInsight is designed solely with J2EE development, testing, and administration in mind. It offers sophiscated analytical tools that capture transactions behaviour, performance timing information and resource utilization, object allocations, thread blocking and waiting, across multiple containers in a single console, presenting this information intuitively to the user. JDBInsight identifies and helps resolve performance isssues early, avoiding the negative affects of the "fix-later-it" approach.

What's New Information: http://www.jinspired.com/products/jdbinsight/whatsnew.html

Installers for Windows, Solaris, and Linux: http://www.jinspired.com/products/jdbinsight/downloads/index.html

William Louth
    JDBInsight Product Architect
    JInspired - "Tune and Test with Insight"
    http://www.jinspired.com

Threaded Messages (16)

2. A truly beautiful tool ....

Are you guys at JavaOne this year again?

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  3. A truly beautiful tool
    Yes. I've never seen a better GUI than that. Very impressive. I think that's a specific design style but don't remember the name of it.

-- Andreas
  4. UI Style / Downloads Update[ Go to top ]

I call it the William Louth style, ;-).

Seriously the products UI style is derived from my readings of the classic Tufte books (http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/) and others on color theory and emotional design. Focus in the tool is given over to the data rather than the controls hence the flat look and thin/light usage of grey borders.

The UI also benefits from a single hand, working on the layout design, color scheme and graphical icons. Everybody has there own style but unless you have a strict UI guideline document or good product designer it is very unlikely you will achieve a high level of consistency which adds so much the user experience. JInspired has a product designer who uses the tool daily while building it.

Regards,

William

Note
    We recently updated the downloads page to include a Java installer as we have had reports of issues with the ZeroG Installers with some Windows/Linux configurations. It does not appear to be an issue with our packaging but the installer itself.
  5. UI Style / Downloads Update[ Go to top ]

I call it the William Louth style, ;-).Seriously the products UI style is derived from my readings of the classic Tufte books (http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/) and others on color theory and emotional design. Focus in the tool is given over to the data rather than the controls hence the flat look and thin/light usage of grey borders.
    Interesting. I had a conversion with Karsten Lentzsch from JGoodies and he told me that you apply the style above but I forgot the name.

-- Andreas
  6. UI Style[ Go to top ]

Hi Andreas,

For the standard Swing components we install the the Metal look and feel and then configure the UI Manager to replace default borders and spacing as well as ligthening the background and foregrounds. There is no L&F just tweaks.

The product does have new UI components which are designed for our style (flat) with default colors that compliment the color scheme used by graphs, icons, and cell renderers. I customize alot of Swing via the renderers and the ability to install different components into standard UI components such as an embedded bar chart in a JTable. Swing is a amazing framework in the right hands (experience required).

The style I have implemented is in my opinion compatible with modern UI desktop systems (Linux, Solaris, Windows ====> OSX). I like the fact that on each platform it looks well and blends in to some degree while still projecting our company image - this is subjective so please no bashing.

Karsten Lentzsch's JGoodies (http://www.jgoodies.com) is a wonderful UI suite. When people ask about our's product UI I always send them to Karsten's website. Sometimes this is taken to mean that we use JGoodies but this is not true - we just share a taste for good UI design. Our style and UI components have not been designed with API usage in mind. I am building a product that requires a UI - fullstop. On the other hand Karsten has done a fine job in simplifying the construction of components and their configuration via the API and Look and Feels. I would recommend those undertaking a Swing project to please consider using Karstens SwingSuite/JGoodies and PAYING for licenses so that he can continue his work.

Regards,

William
  7. JavaOne Stand / Speaker Session[ Go to top ]

Hi Cameron,

I will be speaking in a J2EE Performance Management Session at JavaOne this year.

Whether we take a stand has still to be decided. The problem is that our next release, which will include an "innovative, maybe ground breaking" feature, is scheduled to be delivered just after the conference. Preparing for a conference and working on a stand for 3 whole days can take a lot out of you which I am sure you know. At the moment the priority is to get the release out in time as the 2.1 release ran over though this was more to do with adding too much (and lots of TLC) for a point one release than lack of real planning.

Thanks for your appreciation of the work. Will your company have a stand this year? If not, are you still attending? It would be nice to meet up.

Regards,

William Louth
    JInspired

"Tune and Test with Insight" - http://www.jinspired.com
  8. Can this tool analyze all XA Transactions? I mean transaction JTA transaction talking to a JMS Resource?

Thanks
    KK
  9. Hi,

JDBInsight is focused on JDBC resource transactions. It can work analyse JDBC XA transactions where the global transaction involves multiple resources some of which can be based on JDBC or JMS.

The product will report on the communication overhead for the JDBC activity and not on the JMS. It can still help with the JMS resource as our timing, allocation, thread blocking and waiting, gc counters work at the transaction level which means that for a global transaction one can easily determine whether it is the JDBC resource that is consuming most of the transaction rsources during its interval of execution. Comparing the transaction path counters (txtime interval) with total visit (steps within the tx) counters for a particular transaction path can help one determine this easily.

We have a product (JEEPP) in the works that will eventually perform in depth JMS analysis at the API and JMS message content level as well as many other things.

I have been considering shipping the JMS support separate and sooner. The JMS performance profile model would fit nicely into the JDBInsight console. I am sure we could do exactly the same transaction path (transaction pattern) analysis for JMS that we do within JDBInsight for the JDBC API maybe even better. I just need more time to consult with the JMS vendors (Andreas Mueller, http://www.swiftmq.com/) to ensure that our mapping of a command (JDBC => SQL, JMS => Headers/Properties) is valid for real world JMS applications and scalable for profile model.

For the next release June/July our focus is on a killer feature set which would work across both JDBC and JMS products. Following that release there is really nothing else we can do for JDBC API - from then on JMS/JCA + JDK 1.5 will be our focus.

Regards,

William Louth
    JInspired

"Tune and Test with Insight" - http://www.jinspired.com
  10. I have been considering shipping the JMS support separate and sooner.
    Instead of building a virtual JMS driver (and implement all JMS interfaces except may be the messages) - wouldn't be JMS a nice candidate for AOP?

-- Andreas
  11. AOP -> JEEPP[ Go to top ]

Hi Andreas,

Jeepp (Java Enterprise Event Processing Platform) is our future product that is based on bytecode instrumentation which is how we planned to tackle JMS / JCA along with complex event pattern analysis.

I have an AspectJ prototype of JDBInsight (no proxying) already but the plan is to allow different instrumentation mechanisms such as the support in JDK 1.5. A lite weight version built into our native JVMPI agent is in the works.

Regards,

William
  12. Hi Andreas,

I wanted to add that there are advantages to using the virtual proxy mechanism that bytecode instrumentation would not be able to provide with some clever coding and configuration.

For example we have a customer that has multiple datasources within a single appserver process. For this customer the ability to deploy our driver/datasource for particular JNDI mapped datasources is a nice feature. Not all the datasources are profiled even though the underlying java classes for the different backend databases is the same. As well as this using a virtual proxy allows for better performance optimizations that are related to the object type and instance. Another performance boost (though at the micro-level) is the need not to analyse the call stack to determine what is a real jdbc driver and what is not. Within a JVM there can be many proxies on the call stack to support transaction and connection management.

In 2.1 of JDBInsight the driver & profiler have undergone initial refactoring to ensure the transition to the AOP/Instrumentation is relatively easy. This will be complete shortly. We will then provide the ability to instrument a driver library from within the console for deployment. Following that there will be appserver classloader integration.

For 2.1 and 2.2 ("Real-time in Motion") our focus on getting better visualizations of the existing execution profile model.

By the way I built a really nice tracing framework based on AspectJ/XDoclet that had great extensibility for contextual information but when the business case for completing the product and integrating it into our UI console was evaluated it was determined that (in general !!!!)

1. Developer's would not pay for it (everybody likes the eclipse price tag)
    2. Developer's would continue to build their own tracing frameworks because its not always about solutions but about them learning (or deflecting attention from real business domain work)
    3. Though our tooling (console/server/jvmpi agent) would be superior this would not factor into the equation as developer solutions tended to be localized to individual teams and the tooling issue would be swept aside.
    4. An opensource solution with 10% of what we would provide would always win with developers.

I was somewhat disappointed about the market research results but unfortunately it would appear to be somewhat correct. I have alot of respect for my work and those that depend on me and help me, so the option of opensourcing it never entered my head - I know this goes against current fashion but I have not always followed the crowd.

Regards,

William
  13. Open source fashion[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    I know this goes against current fashion but I have not always followed the crowd.
    </quote>
    I may be reading something into this, but calling open source a fashion is not fair IMO. To charge or not to charge for software are both respectable decisions, but each side (and the different OS licenses) should refrain from belittling the other. I am certain that the OS movement has influenced the history of our trade in a major and extremely favorable way.

Christian
  14. Fashionable[ Go to top ]

Hi Christian,

Maybe I should have qualified it with IMHO there is a trend / cool factor associated with open sourcing your creations. Some businesses (ab)use the OS tag to further their business objectives or as they shutdown take one last gasp of air.

I have seen cases of people open sourcing to gain a badge of honour which might be truly deserved for those brave enough to take the pain from a Hani bileblog entry, ;-). There are cases where it is used to greatly improve the quality of a solution and its speed of development but this is not the norm from the window I peer through now and again.

Honestly, I have no really steadfast good/bad opinions on true open source development from a manufacturer quality perspective but you would have to be a complete idiot to not see that open source has been hijacked (it was always going to be so) by commericial vendors looking to create a market shift and the general masses looking to have a few minutes of fame.

I had no intention of belittling the open source movement as Hani and others seem to do a fine job by themselves. I recognize both its strengths and weaknesses and use it conservatively. Whether others do so is questionable.

>> I am certain that the OS movement has influenced the history of our trade in a major and extremely favorable way.<
    It has influenced the trade/industry but not always in a positive way that is promoted by OS people. Those promoting the cost of entry factor (free ~= opensource) really should look again at the ladder because from what I have seen on the ground (in many large software companies) is that better and not as expensive solutions (IntelliJ) have to fight very, very hard at the bottom rung to get a step on the ladder while the big guys (IBM and Borland) look down from the top. In some cases it has simply removed a rung that small companies would have used to leverage themselves to the next. For a company to grow it needs revenue no matter what the price of the materials used in the manufacturing process. To create a software product that can compete against a price tag of 0$ is a pretty hard task the JetBrains have achieved it but I am sure that they would have preferred a somewhat easier ride for all their design/development efforts.

Established companies are in a better position to leverage open source than others as they have already finances and personnel who are paid, ;-).

These are my own opinions and should have no bearing on the usage of JDBInsight unless....

Regards,

William
  15. OS opinions[ Go to top ]

William,

since this thread is already outdated, I am taking the freedom to post one more comment. To me your statements still sound like you feel threatened, which I dont think is justified. You have a good product, and it would not cross my mind to request that you publish it for free. I will look at the alternatives, and if one stands out, the couple 1000$ price difference will usually not matter in relation to the cost for adapting a deficient OS product.

The fact that OS is sponsored by the big companies is not a drawback for me at all. On the contrary, it so happens that in this case their interest exactly matches mine - keeping the software market open against the threat of a monopolist. If you as a small product vendor end up between the millstones, that may not feel good - but hey, its your own duty to check the market, and also take these effects into account. And I think IntelliJ is a good example how you can succeed even in a narrow segment. Of course, they will not achieve world domination, but I am confident they have gathered a few bucks by now.

As a conclusion - I think it is always a sign of weakness to blame the outside for your lack of success. Take things as they are, and make the best of it. I assume you are not doing too bad with JDBInsight. As an aside, I also wonder how many OS libraries you have used in JDBInsight.
  16. OS opinions[ Go to top ]

Hi Christian,

I have to largely agree with William on this one regarding the effects of open source software. In any market that an open source solution becomes available in, even if it doesn't work, it does have the tendency to destroy everyone but maybe the top one or two companies in that space. It is a shame, because some of those little guys between the millstones are producing really innovative and high-quality software.

I don't know what the answer is, if there is one at all. Open source software is an important part of our ecosystem, but when low-quality "me too" open source software starts displacing innovative commercial software, we all end up losing something.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  17. OS opinions[ Go to top ]

You have a good product, and it would not cross my mind to request that you publish it for free

That is nice to know. But you would not believe the number of times that it has been requested and some in not so polite manners - bullying tactics.

I have even received emails from out-sourcing (yes out-sourcing) companies looking for free licenses - for some strange reasons I should facilitate this market segment as well. I always assumed there was some disconnect in the message.

>> To me your statements still sound like you feel threatened, which I dont think is justified.

A (small) company should always feel threathened - stay hungry. I have a t-shirt which has printed on the front "Fear is creativity's lubricant". Excessiveness of such an emotion can kill because you simply give up trying and lay down to die (buyout or close-up shop). As a product designer I expect to compete at a technically level and that better (from a user perspective) products win the day, sadly this does not apply in the business world and open source solutions merely present another headache to us and alternative choice to customers that looks initially inviting but ** might ** have issues lately. Open Source is a double edged sword. I care about software design both internal and external and would expect the development community to reward those that do strive to deliver better software.

I always blame myself for the millions I do not have though I am worth it and deserve it but maybe not in this life, ;-).

>> As an aside, I also wonder how many OS libraries you have used in JDBInsight.

No open source or commercial libraries just Java and my work.

>> The fact that OS is sponsored by the big companies is not a drawback for me at all.
    To me it does because when I do consultancy work and recommend solutions (sometimes tools) to development ills (code coverage, intellij....) I am always confronted with the issue of the Eclipse price tag. Most of the time developers give up fighting to get the right tools and accept the *** sometimes *** inferior 'free' products because of the headaches of the PO process and because their project manager has read about OS and loves the Eclipse price tag over everything else.

Regards,

William