JView 2004 - J2EE Performance Monitor - 1.4 Released

Discussions

News: JView 2004 - J2EE Performance Monitor - 1.4 Released

1. DevStream has announced a new release of it's J2EE Performance Monitor, JView 2004 version 1.4.

JView 2004 offers sophisticated analytical tools to visualize a landscape view of your J2EE components, and to capture and view End-To-End user transactions, CPU and Method statistics, SQL Calls, thread utilization, as well as Heap size monitoring.

Used by J2EE Developers, QA Testers, and Adminstrators, JView 2004 displays data in an easy-to-read format, making it simple for non-J2EE performance experts to rapidly identify and resolve performance issues.

What's New in JView 2004 1.4

Agent Enhancements:
    • Reduced CPU and memory overhead
    • Certified WebSphere, SunOne, and Caucho Resin Application Servers
    • Certified on HP-UX and AIX Operating System
    • Enhanced user control over instrumentation parameters
    • Ability to instrument core Java classes
    • Support for all major databases including Oracle, DB2, MS SQL Server, and MySQL.
    Nucleus Enhancements:
    • Reduced CPU load when storing data to database
    • Reduced Database sizing requirements
    • Increased maximum number of Agents per Nucleus Server
    • Automatic purging of old metric data from database (configurable)
    Performance Console Enhancements:
    • Ability to export to HTML from the Transaction Explorer and HotSpot views
    • PerformancePoint overhead reductions
    • MReports functionality added to Trial Version
    JView 2004 is the industry's only native code Java Performance Monitor, allowing for in-depth Production Java performance monitoring due to it's low overhead. JView 2004 delivers full spectrum analysis of method metric transaction time and method CPU time, along with thread stack views and SQL runtime statistics. In production mode, JView's low overhead monitoring provides detail on end-to-end transactions, helping J2EE developers, QA tests, and Administrators quickly pinpoint and resolve performance issues.

Key Features and Benefits of JView 2004:
    • Real-time monitoring
    • Landscape view of J2EE Components
    • Precision Call Trace Analysis
    • Microsecond Precision for demanding applications
    • SLA Monitoring and Automated Operational Awareness Alerts
    • SQL Call statistics
    • CPU Thread time statistics
    • Thread stack analysis and Stalled Thread alerts
    • MReports - Reporting of problematic components
    • PerfPoint - Collect detailed data in Production for problem analysis
    • Easy-to-use Performance Console - Install and begin tuning in minutes.
    • Transaction Explorer - Drill down into where your application is spending Transaction time and CPU
    • Isolated resource consumption using Method and SQLyzer HotSpot Views
    • Supports J2EE Application Servers as well as stand-alone applications
    • Identify performance issues proactively before they impact users
    JView 2004 is supported on BEA Weblogic, JBoss, IBM Websphere, JRun, Sun One, Tomcat, and Resin.

30-Day Trial for Windows, Solaris, HPUX, and Linux:
    http://www.devstream.com/JView2004/download/

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Price?[ Go to top ]

I won't look at products that do not clearly describe the associated cost and license terms. And, no, I don't want to talk to a sales team so they can "customize a solution" for me.

No product is complicated enough where this information can't be expressed on a web page.
  3. Price?[ Go to top ]

I won't look at products that do not clearly describe the associated cost and license terms. And, no, I don't want to talk to a sales team so they can "customize a solution" for me.No product is complicated enough where this information can't be expressed on a web page.
    I totally agree. I stopped playing this game a long time ago. Especially now with companies that have tight budgets. My rule is if it's too expensive to put a price on the web page, I don't recommend it to my employer or clients. But that's OK because the software vendors like this are chasing a different market than the projects I typically work on (open source based).

Michael Mattox
  4. Amen Brother[ Go to top ]

I agree wholeheartedly with the sales guy must call me to quote a price gimmick. That's a big reason why Weblogic owned the J2EE space for a bit, while the superior (IMO) Genstone product languished. No free downloads, no free documentation, etc. At least this product has a trial. Quoted price would get me to give it a second look.

The other big strike, is it looks like crap. The thread analyzer looks like shite, and all of the numeric columns are left-justified!?
  5. To be fair[ Go to top ]

Hi James,

Nearly all the performance management vendors (precise, mecury, wilytech, quest) do not provide listed sales prices on their website. In fact most vendors will not even allow you to down their products from their website. You need to buy some consultancy with the product installation or the sales person comes to the office and provides a ** safe ** demonstration of the product highlighting what does work though not so important and skipping over what does not work but is important.

From various customers I have heard the prices start around 20,000 USD to 25,000 USD per server (2 cpu machine) with incremental costs of between 2,000-3,000 USD per CPU. I am not sure what the pricing is for client consoles but it probably depends on how much money you have to spend, ;-).

JView does at least provide a download.

I won't comment on the JView UI within this thread but I think you will find the most of the other vendors have a very poor UI. It suprises me how they manage to sell their solutions. Some of the profilers out there have only recently allowed the the resizing and movement of columns with a table view.

Regards,

William Louth
    JDBInsight Product Architect
    JInspired

"Tune and Test with Insight"
    http://www.jinspired.com
  6. To be fair[ Go to top ]

From various customers I have heard the prices start around 20,000 USD to 25,000 USD per server (2 cpu machine) with incremental costs of between 2,000-3,000 USD per CPU. I am not sure what the pricing is for client consoles but it probably depends on how much money you have to spend.
    Thanks for providing this information.

Note to the Jview people - it really wouldn't be too hard to put this bit on your website - would it? There's a whole world of potential businesses out there who may be interested in your product, but can not afford it. You're wasting their time (and your time) by using the 'contact sales' charade.
  7. Slight Correction[ Go to top ]

The prices I mentioned are averages across the various products and now solely JView. I know from Borland sales the base price was 25,000 with additional 15,000 in professional services. Sitraka had a similiar price tag of 25,000 USD. Mecury Interactive recently purchased Performant who had a typical sales price of 50,000-60,000 for a high end server installation. Sitraka had an initial 20,000 price tag. Precise and WilyTech have similiar pricing though is has varied over time and per customer. You need to play them against each other to get a good deal which is the same for BEA and IBM.

I have no official price from JView just a ball park figure. Maybe we can get an official sales response on the thread.

It probably boils down to if you need to ask the price you cannot afford it and/or do not have serious enough performance problems yet.

Regards,

William
  8. Not working with JBoss 3.2.3[ Go to top ]

Somehow it's a shame it doesn't work together with JBoss 3.2.3 out of the box. I had to move some JBoss ports first to get it working.
  9. Works on JBoss 3.2[ Go to top ]

Somehow it's a shame it doesn't work together with JBoss 3.2.3 out of the box. I had to move some JBoss ports first to get it working.
    Tobias, what exactly do you mean by moving some JBoss ports? Sounds like you were able to get it working?
  10. jKool Now works with JBoss[ Go to top ]

Nastel Technologies has announced the release of jKool Performance Monitor 1.5 jKool is a complete, stand-alone solution for monitoring J2EE application performance. It supports WebLogic, JBoss and WebSphere Application Servers, featuring server and servlets monitoring, support for JMS, JDBC and Java methods and databases Oracle, DB2, MS SQL Server and MySQL. It includes centralized access for monitoring multiple applications and servers, one-click drill-down, real-time start and stop for live metrics collection, full performance history, custom queries and security and permission control. jKool Key Features * Shows complete user click stream through web-based J2EE and SOA applications * Measures web-based transaction performance end to end * Provides real-time and historical point-in time views on demand * Lets you start and stop live data monitoring whenever you need to * Shows full spectrum of response time statistics including minimum, maximum, average and actual * Drills down to JMS, JDBC, method calls, servlets and sessions with simple one-click option to view live session details * Creates custom queries to locate sessions that exceed your specified thresholds * NEW!! Supports jBoss, WebLogic and WebSphere Application Server Learn More at http://www.nastel.com/index.php?mod=page&ctg=106