Open source workflow engine - con:cern 1.1 released

Discussions

News: Open source workflow engine - con:cern 1.1 released

1. con:cern is a workflow engine based on an extended case handling approach. A process is described as a set of activities with pre- and postconditions. An activity is executed when its preconditions are met. It manipulates the process item, thereby creating postconditions. The process flow is determined at run-time. This approach is superior to the conventional process flow approach, if at least one of the following statements applies:

• complex process with exceptions and special cases
    • execution sequence is dependent on multiple factors
    • possibility of manual intervention of process flow
    • content-based dependence amongst activities
    • strong requirements to modularity
    • strong requirements to flexibility
    • loose process coupling
    Interestingly, processes often turn out to be more complex than initially anticipated. con:cern's flexibility allows to restrict yourself to implementing the normal process flow. Special cases and exceptions can be manually dealt with at run-time, or can be gradually retrofitted.

Visit the con:cern workflow home page

Threaded Messages (11)

2. minor correction[ Go to top ]

It's not the UI modeler, that has been enhanced but the process modeler. Actually con:cern comes without a UI framework. Instead it integrates with what ever UI framework you use, i.e. JSP, JSF, wingS.

Holger Engels
  3. minor correction[ Go to top ]

Looks intersting. I would like to see a comparison between some of the open source workflow and process modelling frameworks out there. I would like to integrate one of them into a project I'm working on, but I haven't had time to evaluate the competing frameworks in depth yet.
  4. comparision[ Go to top ]

the main difference between con:cern and competitors is, that con:cern is the only one, that uses the (IMO superior) case-handling approach.

other important characteristics of con:cern are:

o con:cern does not persist any business information. instead, it integrates with
      hibernate, jdo, plain jdbc, ldap, whatever you like
    o con:cern comes without a UI framework. instead you are free to use JSP, JSF,
      wingS, Swing, whatever fits your requirements
    o con:cern doesn't care about management of users, groups and permissions as well
  5. minor correction[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I already worked with con:cern on a prototype for an E-Procurement application we are currently developing. Prior to that I evaluted OpenSymphony's OSWorkflow
    tool. We have chosen to go with con:cern because it offers much more flexibility because if its case-handling approach, has a much more mature process modeler and integrates nicely into any environment even without a full blown J2EE container (we use Spring/Hibernate).

Regards,

Juergen
  6. minor correction[ Go to top ]

We have chosen to go with con:cern because it offers much more flexibility because if its case-handling approach, has a much more mature process modeler and integrates nicely into any environment even without a full blown J2EE container (we use Spring/Hibernate).Regards,Juergen
    The doco on the website says that "all components like the Controller / Activites / Conditions / etc are stateless SessionBeans" but the prior post implies that we don't need a full-blown j2ee container (specifically, ejb) to run con:cern. The question is: we're using Spring+Struts and we would like to use con:cern, can we do so without an ejb container?

Thanks,
    -Duc
  7. minor correction[ Go to top ]

Just to verify my statement above. There is an "embedded" version of the con:cern kernel available which can run without a J2EE environment available.
    Holger, you can answer this question more precisely ;)

Best regards,

Juergen
  8. j2ee versus embedded[ Go to top ]

at the moment, only the j2ee runtime has been released and the light weight runtime is in a technology-preview state.

the documentation applies to the j2ee runtime only: it relies on the infrastructure, provided by a j2ee container. the controller is a sessionbean and the activities and conditions are sessionbeans. the idea was to have an implementation that depends on nothing but a J2EE server.

However, I'm planning to release the light-weight kernel in a few weeks. You can stay informed, if you join the mailing lists.

Regards,

Holger
  9. minor correction[ Go to top ]

Hi,I already worked with con:cern on a prototype for an E-Procurement application we are currently developing. Prior to that I evaluted OpenSymphony's OSWorkflowtool. We have chosen to go with con:cern because it offers much more flexibility because if its case-handling approach, has a much more mature process modeler and integrates nicely into any environment even without a full blown J2EE container (we use Spring/Hibernate).Regards,Juergen
    Why not sharing the integration code and some examples with the eager spring community? ;)
  10. any[ Go to top ]

11. English Documentation[ Go to top ]

The version 1.1 announcement refers readers to the project's home page for translations of the existing documentation.
    Where is this documentation that the release refers to?

Many thanks,
    Bruce.
  12. documentation[ Go to top ]

well, I know, there is still too less documentation available in english. And also the javadocs are incomplete. In english, there is currently only:

o project information
    o how to get started with the modeller (modeller->development)
    o installation and deployment
    o command line client

I would be happy, if anyone could help me out translating the remaining parts of the homepage.

Regards,

Holger