Java Back End Serving Word/PowerPoint Front End

Discussions

General J2EE: Java Back End Serving Word/PowerPoint Front End

1. Java Back End Serving Word/PowerPoint Front End (3 messages)

Is it possible to have a Java/Unix server side back end that serves data (perhaps via XML) to a Word/PowerPoint front end?

Is it possible to allow the user to make changes to the Word/PowerPoint front end (perhaps in some type of defined fields within the file) and save those changes back to the Java/Unix server side, and ultimately to a database?

Thanks.
  2. AFAIK, I don't think you can stream information to a msxxx front-end (perhaps to OO), but I've worked on a project that used POI to generate excel forms for users to enter information into the system. It's a real pain though shipping complex documents back and forth.

HTH,
    sv
  3. Yes, I think this is possible with Microsoft XP Web Services Toolkit.

Here's a good link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpwst2/html/odc_wsrxl.asp ( this might be a frame, so the document title is "Using Complex Data Types with XML Web Services in Microsoft Word 2002"

There are also articles and walk-thrus on Java back end...web services...to Excel and Outlook.

A JBoss webservice to Outlook...that I actually did ....and it works as described. Sort of cool.

Mike
  4. A JBoss webservice to Outlook...that I actually did ....and it works as described. Sort of cool.Mike
    I actually find that very cool,
    sv