Call for Independant Testing

Discussions

Industry news: Call for Independant Testing

1. Call for Independant Testing (7 messages)

Greetings to all TSS members.

Let me cut to the chase; I have a Java database Daffodil DB and want to sell more and more of my product. What’s new I hear? Nothing, sans the fact that I want to do it while taking on the 'biggies' of the market, while making a better product, while open sourcing part of my product offering (in our case the Replication tool) and while contributing to the Java community simply because .... Well, all I have is Java!

Having said all that and having borne the risk of being labeled 'utopian', here are my thoughts:

1. The best brand usually does NOT have the best product. This holds true for IT, as it pretty much does anywhere. Plenty of examples pop into my mind, but let’s keep it simple.

2. Having said that, the brand equity that these 'best' brands possess is enough to drive customers to them; much to the frustration of small(er) players.

3. Getting into specifics, embedded databases have ALWAYS been a 'lower-cost lower-quality' cousin of enterprise databases. (Lower cost I understand, but lower quality? A simple check of currently provided features shows how much we need to move in the direction of product quality.) Even within embedded databases, Java embedded databases haven’t taken off in the same direction as other embedded databases. (MySQL's 5 million installations prove just this. They deserve kudos for the same.)

4. However, times are (hopefully) changing ---- thanks to Big Blue, who, via Cloudscape, has revived developers and customer’s interest in Java databases.

SO WHAT? IS THERE A POINT TO THIS BABBLE? Hummmmmm..... Yes, there is. And it’s this: Should interest in a particular product arise solely due to a 'Big Brother'? (Don’t get me wrong; it isn’t like nobody knew Cloudscape existed. But yes, its branding has taken a 'vitality injection' post-IBM.)

Shouldn’t interest arise due to the merits (or demerits) of a particular product, as also due to the 'openness' (no pun intended) of the same. How many times we have wondered (at least I have) where these products really stand, when compared to each other? How many times have we wanted to see past the fancy hired help (read PR agencies, fancy conferences, product launches, branding exercises et al) and get to the crux.

Maybe if we had found our (huge) pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, we would have also gone in for hyp-ing of our product. But we can’t. Tough.

And therefore, my proposal is simple, and I have made this proposal in an earlier posting on TSS: Let’s get all embedded databases (Java or otherwise) and get some independent testing done. (I suggest a weighted average method with the parameters being Speed, Features, Size, Compatibility with app servers and the like). Only then will we be able to see past the hype and get to the bottom of this issue. In case this posting is of interest to you, I can be reached at uday dot parmar at daffodildb dot com. And yes, Java is the ONLY drug!

Uday Parmar
    Daffodil Software Ltd.

Our level of thinking creates problems that cannot be solved by our level of thinking – Einstein

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Call for Independant Testing[ Go to top ]

Get your product listed here:

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_price_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster
  3. Cheers[ Go to top ]

Thx for the posting Catalin. Will give it a shot. Is there any other way to get our trial version to as many people as possible? We have supreme faith in our offering. Its just that there aren' as many people (read developers) testing Daffodil DB as we would have liked.

Cheers,
    Uday Parmar
  4. Cheers[ Go to top ]

Thx for the posting Catalin. Will give it a shot. Is there any other way to get our trial version to as many people as possible? We have supreme faith in our offering. Its just that there aren' as many people (read developers) testing Daffodil DB as we would have liked.

Cheers,
    Uday Parmar
  5. Testing or Publicity?[ Go to top ]

Hi!
       I guess that you want both things... but it will not come easy.
       I would suggest that you check on the methods that internet marketers use to get people interested in your product: (Viral Marketing)

For example:
        - write technical articles on some interesting aspect of the product.
        - invite people to a contest on the best app that can build with your DB.

Benchmarking products is very time and resource consuming and may not give the results you expect. Most vendors don't allow mentioning their names in any benchmark that was not paid by them.

Regards,
    JP
  6. Testing or Publicity?[ Go to top ]

Hi JP,

Thanks for the reply. Well, you are right, testing and publicity are both important. However, for us, getting the product out to as many members of our target audience (read developers) is what will really drive us forward.

We have conducted extensive in-house testing with regards to how Daffodil DB compares with other players in the market. Probably publishing those results on serverside.com would prove beneficial. (It goes without saying that Daffodil DB compares very favorably on most parameters.)

Btw, the 'invite people to a contest on the best app that can build with your DB' idea sounds very promising. Thanks for the same.

Regards,
    Uday Parmar (www.daffodildb.com)
  7. Benefits[ Go to top ]

Uday,

Just to let you know you have spelt database incorrectly on your product overview page apart from that your site looks great.

As for advice...

1. I've notice that your site is quite well optimized in terms of search engine keywords and a quick look on google shows you have numerous backlinks into your site. Excellent.

2. You have PPC adds on google picking up "java rdms" as keywords so obviously you understand pay per click advertising. I suspect traffic to your site is quite high but do you know where it all comes from ? do you know what keywords people are using to find you ? have a look at IndexTools.com

3. You don't have a "subscribe to newsletter" link on your site so perhaps there is an opportunity there for additional marketing try ContactImpact.com Email Marketing.

4. Have you considered an affiliate program such as commission junction ?

Ian Purton
    Managing Director
    Web site monitoring service
  8. Great article on Open Source[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Just came acroos a great article on Open Source. Check it out: http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html#tco">Why Open Source Software / Free Software (OSS/FS)? Look at the Numbers!
    </a>

Cheers,
    Uday Parmar

Daffodil Software Limited
    www.daffodildb.com