Weblogic Vs Oracle AS

Discussions

Industry news: Weblogic Vs Oracle AS

1. Weblogic Vs Oracle AS (7 messages)

My company would like to go for an application server and we are in the process of evaluating weblogic and Oracle AS. Can anyone suggest the comparision between Weblogic and Oracle AS?

Thank you very much in advance.

Mohan S

Threaded Messages (7)

2. My vote would go for Weblogic.[ Go to top ]

I used OC4J (Oracle 9Ias) and I don't like it. I have seen it complain about the repository being out of sync and had a hard time getting it back up on its feet. Yes, the enterprise version of it has an Oracle database as a part of the infrastructure to maintain metadata about each instance. I would rather use Weblogic over OC4J any day. It's a damn shame they cremated Orion in their attempt to integrate whatever crap they tried to integrate it with.
  3. My vote would go for Weblogic.[ Go to top ]

All the out of sync issues with the repository are fixed in OracleAS 10g 9.0.4 so I would suggest to upgrade to that release.

However you do not have to use the bundle and can use the lightweight version OC4J standalone.

You can download this from

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/oc4j/index.html

I would like you here any specific complaints you may have for OC4J and OracleAS 9.0.4 overall.

-Debu Panda
  4. Weblogic Vs Oracle AS[ Go to top ]

We've actually been evaluating Sun Java System Application Server (http://wwws.sun.com/software/products/appsrvr/home_appsrvr.html) over the past few days and are quite impressed. You should also probably notice that as you're cruising on this site, your are occasionally being served from a Sun Application Servre box (though I often find myself being served by exteNd, but I digress).

Pricing wise, Sun is far cheaper (free for the basic version, if you just want one server), so it's worth a look.

As for Oracle vs. BEA, I've never used Oracle, but one of my staff swears by BEA in comparison, though he mentions that pricing is always an issue. Apparently BEA is flexible on their pricing if you use the spectre of Jboss as a means to talk them down. :)

That said, have you considered Jboss? Not so great if you want "big box" features, but it does the trick for development and basic roll-outs.
  5. Weblogic Vs Oracle AS[ Go to top ]

If you're doing a serious evaluation of application servers beyond BEA, you definitely should consider Caucho Resin (http://www.caucho.com). I've used it professionally and personally for almost 4 years and found it held up nicely in a production environment configured for high availability and fault-tolerance but was as simple as Tomcat to install, configure, and deploy.
  6. Weblogic Vs Oracle AS[ Go to top ]

If your company has enough money to backup BEA or Oracle or IBM go for any one of those. but they are very bulky and all your developers need more than 512MB RAM on their machines to run these monsters. Adding to this if you also decide to use a bulk IDE such as JBuilder. Good luck!

But if you want more fun with J2EE development go for JBoss and Eclipse. Have not tried Eclipse IDE for enterprise development tho but mostly it's one of the nicest things i have seen in the recent past. You will be glad to see when JBoss spits out to the console saying Server Started in x min and xx seconds which will be like xx min xx seconds for other monsters.

As far as scalability is concerned there is still fire on JBoss. But I am sure they have come a long way and it does a pretty decent job. It's free and their newsgroup is very active too.

I am gonna mention one more appserver which has been my long time favourites becasue i helped me in my J2EE career and it's Borland Enterprise Server. It's just like other propiertary servers but its got some cool things to it. We tried scalability with it and their newsgroup has got some fantastic mentors working dedicatedly for developers like us.

cheerz
    -vaheesan selvarajah
  7. Weblogic Vs Oracle AS[ Go to top ]

"If your company has enough money to backup BEA or Oracle or IBM go for any one of those. but they are very bulky and all your developers need more than 512MB RAM on their machines to run these monsters. "

You need only 128MB to run OC4J standalone. For J2EE development you do not need to install the whole OracleAS package and just install OC4J standalone. The download size is less than 40MB.

You can try this from downloading from OTN

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/oc4j/index.html

-Debu
  8. Weblogic Vs Oracle AS[ Go to top ]

I vote for Weblogic. Great product, perfect documentation and samples. Great integration with most IDEs. Do not use JBoss. I had very bad experience with it. Terrible documentation. It is almost impossible to find an answer to your question. You have to pay for support if you are building heavy interprise app. I used oracle AS for evaluation. Not impressed. Poor designed and build product.